Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the key advantage to shooting with a hand held release vs. a wrist strap style? Is it a matter of consistency? More consistent triggering perhaps? I've never used or shot with anyone with a hand held so help me out.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think that most of it is personal preference. I know a number of very good shooters that use a wrist style release. For hunting, I prefer the wrist style simply for the fact that I can't readily drop it out of my stand.

However at least in my expereince, I seem to be more accurate with a hand held release. I think it gives me a more consistent release, not because of the mechanics of the release, but it forces me to use proper form to get the thing to go off.

One thing about the hand held types. I made the progression from wrist style to pure BT to hand held triggered. I think this order will give you the best overall transition in that you will learn proper BT technique using the pure BT release, before migrating to the triggered type.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
200 Posts
I started out using a wrist release and shot good with it. I then switched over to a carter handheld perticulatly for 3D and it feels so much better. I wanted to commit to one and tried a 3d one more time with a wrist release and immediately went back to hand-held releases. I even hunt with them (Carter BK Hunter). You can always add a wrist loop so they won't fall off your wrist while hunting. I think if you try one, you won't regret it....Bobby

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think that the wrist release is much easier to punch and may lead to target panic more quickly than a hand held release.

Most of the top target guys shoot hand held releases however Dejan Sitar (world target champion a few years back, and record holder) uses a wrist release. Perhaps he can comment on how he uses it (he is on this forum).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually found a Tru Fire Crackshot that I have (forgot I had it) and shot with it some today. I felt that my groups tightened up some compared to those of my wrist release. I had some draw length issues with it but overall it wasn't bad. I may try to pick up a used one of better quality and play with it some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts