Archery Talk Forum banner

Hand held releases

1085 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Paul S.
tttI know this has surely been posted before I have always shot a strap on wrist caliper release, I have looked at allot of hand held ones you release with your thumb are these good for hunting allot of them look like you could just leave it on your string especially loop shooters are they better than strap on wrist realeses? if you guys get a chance let me know what your opinions are thanks Eddie
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,806 Posts
Its a personal preferance, but I won't shoot a trigger release anymore. I use a Carter Evolution for everything, because thats what works for me. Everyones different.:wink:

· Registered
3,683 Posts
no more triggers for me either. well at least not yet as i am new to shooting with the "surprise release" concept. maybe i will eventually go to a trigger for hunting in case i need to sped my shot up a little but for now, hinge for everything. but if i do go to a trigger in the future, it will definitely be a thumb trigger. those index finger releases are just to tempting for me to PUNCH badly

· Registered
721 Posts
I have to say "my hat's off to the Carter family for making an excellent selection of releases. I used an evolution for a year and a half and am currently shooting the sensation for everything including the hunt I just completed this season for a nice bull elk. If I ever feel like I get antsy on the thumb trigger.... no doubt it will be an evolution in my hand again to cure the mind.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carter release

Its a personal preferance, but I won't shoot a trigger release anymore. I use a Carter Evolution for everything, because thats what works for me. Everyones different.:wink:
So far a couple of you are using Carter Evolutions nice looking release I did not find any prices yet, anyway I went to there web sight and the concept seems interesting a couple questions it tells you to hold down on the safety draw the bow to anchor then release safety then proceed to pull are you pulling back farther than you anchor point or just applying more pull to set off the release? and I am assuming I am a d loop shooter these are made for that? and the hook on the end of the release once you are hooked on to your loop can that slip off any way or is the opening smaller than you string or d loop thanks Eddie

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evolultion

I have to say "my hat's off to the Carter family for making an excellent selection of releases. I used an evolution for a year and a half and am currently shooting the sensation for everything including the hunt I just completed this season for a nice bull elk. If I ever feel like I get antsy on the thumb trigger.... no doubt it will be an evolution in my hand again to cure the mind.
I posted a few questions one I did not was I see you hunted with yours what about gloves with a release like this hole size being what it is let me know and thanks Eddie

· Registered
5,806 Posts
So far a couple of you are using Carter Evolutions nice looking release I did not find any prices yet, anyway I went to there web sight and the concept seems interesting a couple questions it tells you to hold down on the safety draw the bow to anchor then release safety then proceed to pull are you pulling back farther than you anchor point or just applying more pull to set off the release? and I am assuming I am a d loop shooter these are made for that? and the hook on the end of the release once you are hooked on to your loop can that slip off any way or is the opening smaller than you string or d loop thanks Eddie
You can pick one up in the clasifieds for around $100. You set it a couple of pounds above your holding weight, and after you anchor, take aim and pull against the back wall of your bow, and it goes off. I've never had it slip off prematurely while shooting. Getting it on your loop when a deer is coming is a different story.:rolleyes::wink:

· Registered
2,592 Posts
I hunt with a TRU Ball Chappy lil Boss. Its great leave it on the bow much more consistant for me than a regular wrist caliper

· Registered
721 Posts
You can pick one up in the clasifieds for around $100. You set it a couple of pounds above your holding weight, and after you anchor, take aim and pull against the back wall of your bow, and it goes off. I've never had it slip off prematurely while shooting. Getting it on your loop when a deer is coming is a different story.:rolleyes::wink:
Have you hunted with yours as well? I actually had no probs hooking up the sensation release with a calf elk a couple yards behind me just behind my release hand and a bull elk standing broadside 35 yards away. The sensation and the evolution are the same hook, I guess if you're shaking, it might be difficult to hook up any release. :wink:

· Registered
721 Posts
Eddie, the opening of the evolution hook isn't actually smaller than the end of your d-loop or you couldn't get your loop into the hook after you close it to hook up. This is how I shoot mine, I close it, hook it up, then draw to shoot. The chocolate addiction, you actually close over the string or loop. The evolution hook curves away from where you generally draw and hold so it's not going to let your loop fall out accidently. I have never had a premature release except when I have forgotten to hold the safety while drawing, of course it will go off before you ever get to full draw if you forget to put your thumb on it. I shoot a D-loop as well, no problems at all with it.

You really don't draw past your anchor point, you just draw harder into your wall to make the release work. For example, say your holding weight is 17 lbs, if your release is set for 18 lbs, you only draw into your wall for the extra lb and your release goes off. This is why it goes off if you don't hold the safety, when you draw and come through your peak weight before your let off weight kicks in, it's obviously more than 18 lbs so, boom... arrow goes astray. Same with letting down, be sure to re put your thumb on it or boom... arrow gone again.

As far as hunting with the sensation (same size body and finger hole as the evo)... I have an uninsulated thin pair of gloves I use. I actually didn't notice any difference with or without the gloves as far as the finger hole. The only thing I noticed at full draw when I shot my bull was that my face mask didn't give my anchor point the same feel that I get every day when I shoot without one on. Be sure to practice how you hunt before you go out. :wink:

Check lancasterarchery.com for one

· Registered
5,806 Posts
Have you hunted with yours as well? I actually had no probs hooking up the sensation release with a calf elk a couple yards behind me just behind my release hand and a bull elk standing broadside 35 yards away. The sensation and the evolution are the same hook, I guess if you're shaking, it might be difficult to hook up any release. :wink:
Yeah, I hunt with it. On opening day, I had 3 deer in front of me, and 1 10' behind me blowing and stomping(and I was on the ground), so it was a little difficult hooking it onto my loop.:D :tongue:

· Registered
721 Posts
Yeah, I hunt with it. On opening day, I had 3 deer in front of me, and 1 10' behind me blowing and stomping(and I was on the ground), so it was a little difficult hooking it onto my loop.:D :tongue:
I was a little concerned with hunting with the evo just because of it not being as much of a command release, so I went the sensation route instead.

So.... did you get drawn and bag one of those deer? How'd the evo work out on the ground... did you just pull into your wall and make it a command release?

· Registered
5,806 Posts
I was a little concerned with hunting with the evo just because of it not being as much of a command release, so I went the sensation route instead.

So.... did you get drawn and bag one of those deer? How'd the evo work out on the ground... did you just pull into your wall and make it a command release?
The Evo works fine as a hunting release. I smoked a fat woodchuck yesterday, and he's just as dead as if I used a trigger release.:wink: I got drawn on one of those deer that night, but it was just about the end of shooting time, and I didn't notice the little tree between her and I.:embara: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.