Archery Talk Forum banner

Hand Held Thumb Style for Hunting

1024 Views 16 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  bigracklover
Since I have started using my back tension release a great deal, and am shooting that the majority of time thinking of trying a hand held for hunting. I am shooting a Tru Ball Sweet Spot II ultra 4. Not wanting a true BT release for hunting, but looking more at a thumb style model. Any suggestions? What you guys using?? Anything similar in ergonomics to the Sweet spot II Ultra 4 since I have gotten used to that release?? Thinking in the lines of the Pro Diamond or Diamond extreme. Like one that I could lock on the D-loop. All brands, and models considered!!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,685 Posts
I started my thumb release addiction with a Pro Diamond.
Lask of a positive lock was a little annoying when it came to targets though as I wanted a crisper feel and wanted one release for everything so I switched to the King George after a while and it worked very well for everything.

Switched to an Unsatiable 2 years ago and use that in the woods now as well.

Most anything from Carter or Truball with a thumb trigger will do the job. It's personal preference after that.:darkbeer:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May have to go shoot as many as possible and go from there.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
I use a pro diamond for hunting and also trying to learn BT with the sweet spot the ergonomics are very similar so it wont take long for you to get used to it in your hand but like others have said try it and a few others to see what you like best,

· Registered
8,525 Posts
I also use the pro Diamond extreme for both hunting & 3D .When it gets cold I just put it in my pocket with a hand warmer ,take it out to shoot and it's nice and warm .Work's for me Good luck.

· Registered
Bowtech SS34
1,287 Posts
I am shooting the Pro Diamond Extreme for hunting and 3D. When hunting a put it on the D-loop and I know its good to go. For 3D I bought the wrist strap for it so I dont have to keep putting it in a pocket of try to hang on to it all the time, it just hangs there. I dont like to have a strap around my wrist when I hunt. Those straps, leather or not hold in scent something fierce! Seems silly to take all the precautions of or scent by showering, using scent eliminator sprays, cover up, gum, scent lok and then go and strap that release strap around you wrist that was out on the 3D course over the summer while you sweat your butt off. That's just my opinion and idea for ya though. It is a good release, a lot of adjustability for different styles of shooting. That release, set up just right and shot procedure can be used as a back tension release too.

· Registered
871 Posts
I tried a couple of Pro Diamonds (standard and Extreme) and then went to a Chocolate Addiction. The Pro Diamonds were a bit small for my hands and I didn't care for the trigger creep. They do clip on and off nicely though. As for myself though, I have to find anything that works better for me than the Carter.

· Wishin' I was in Montana
1,341 Posts
I'm just bought a Stan Trio Super X, and am really liking it.
I will be trying it this fall in the woods. I have a feeling I'm going to like it.
I just need to figure out a different process, since I'm so used to having my release strapped to my wrist.

John

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.