Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into all the different grips for my Allegiance.. Kinda narrowed it down to Gripwerks, Crackers, or Shrewd... My reason for this is the obvious, I cant seem to get consistancy out of the factory grip... Will one of these grips help like alot of people claim they do? Im tight on money, but want to be shooting a proficient as possible come bow season...

My next problem is this... I dont know 100% for sure or not (due to the GRIP), but at 10 yards I can put it right on the X, at 20 yards it SEEMS to be about a half inch to one inch right, at 25 its an inch or two to the right, and at 30, its three to four inches to the right.. I havent gone beyond 40 (primarly trying to set up for HUNTING).. I just got my bow back from Crackers, so part of me is thinking its my grip problem, and the other part of me thinks that I may need to fine tune my rest... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO but I do know that I dont want to mess up anything Crackers has done to my bow!!!!! Maybe nuts&bolts or somebody can help me out!

· Registered
2,759 Posts
Compliments of Nuts and Bolts:tongue:

Hang a weighted string from a nail on a target.

Stick a round sticker on the target face so that the string splits the sticker. Use your existing 20-yd pin, step back 20-yards from the target and fire at the sticker.

Don't worry about where the arrow hits.

Walk straight back to 30 yds, and using the same 20-yd pin setting,
fire an arrow at the sticker.

Repeat at 35 yds and at 40 yds, using the 20-yd pin and firing at the sticker.

If your arrows look like this pattern " / " or “\”,
then pick a direction and move your arrow rest 1/16th inch.

If the pattern gets straighter (more vertical), then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction.

If the pattern gets more crooked, then adjust in the other direction.

Keep firing arrows and keep adjusting the arrow rest position until you get a vertical pattern of arrows.

Eventually, your arrows will hit in the target is a straight up and down line like this " | ".

LOCK down the arrow rest setting. Your centershot is perfect.

But, your vertical pattern of arrows may not be hitting the string.

The vertical pattern of arrows may be on one side of the string.
Let’s say the arrows are say 6-inches to the left of the weighted string.

Pick a direction to adjust your sight ring windage. Adjust the sight ring windage 1/16th of an inch. Repeat the test. Fire arrows at least 3 distances, and see if the vertical pattern of arrows gets closer to the string.

If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting closer to the string, then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction. If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting farther away, then adjust in the other direction.

Eventually, you will have a vertical pattern of arrows right on top of the string.

Lock down the windage and lock down the arrow rest. Windage and center shot are now perfect.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If im shooting Right, will I move the rest 1/16 to the left? Call me stupid, but those charts are hard for me to figure out.. Im just real timid about adjusting stuff because like I mentioned, I just got it back from Crackers..

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may give that a shot... Only problem may be is that im shooting a WB and right now its adjusted way left as it is, and the "shaft" is sitting flush with the mount... Think I should wait to adjust anything until I put a different grip on?

· Registered
876 Posts
interesting

It sounds like you have gone about as far as you can without repositioning the rest completely, potentially even on the other side of the riser as some rests say may be necessary for "thick risered bow" like some bowtechs etc. I personally would try the new grip first. However that may have been as close as that particular rest would have allowed to get it. Is it a drop tine WB or one of the straight bar versions?

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the newest version, the WB Delux QS B2...

There is that "spacer" in there, but if I didnt use that, I wouldnt have any set screw so it could get bumped and knocked out of tune alot easier...

· Registered
1,815 Posts
This may sound crazy or obvious but it bit me last week.

This time of year I find myself moving sights between bows...tinkering around...looking for the "right" combinations for me.

In doing so I found that the pins were not arranged in perfect "alignment" on one bow. I had the 20 yrd pin where I like it in the housing so I gang adjusted to the correct point of impact for it.

I then stepped back and adjust the 30, 40, etc pins to the correct point of impact.

One thing that I noticed was what you were mentioning...slight movement to the right...growing further away with each pin.

I found that the sight guard was not set "level" for me. I tend to cant the bow ever so slightly....just a small bit. this has been fine as long as I account for this in the pin & guard initial set up.

Perhaps, Crackers has yours set for "perfect" vertical but yet when you grip it and draw back...you cant the bow just a tad.

I really appreciate the above diagram...that will help me a good bit in the future.

Good luck and safe shooting!!!!!!

· Registered
2,491 Posts
Grip and Tuning

Dont let the grip thing get into your head. If you havent done a walkback tune yet, you need to. Its easier to do than it might sound.

1) Shoot 1 arrow into the TOP of your target with your 20 yd pin.
2) Step back 8 yds or so.
3) Place the same pin on the same spot and shoot.
4) Go back to step 2 and repeat, stepping back 8yds or so after each arrow until you run out of space, arrows or target.

After this, take a look at your arrow pattern. If your shoot right, and get a pattern that looks like this ' \ ' , adjust your rest a small amount to the left.
If your pattern looks like this ' / ' adjust your rest a small amount to the right.

Each time you adjust your rest, you will have to start over at step 1.
The goal is a perfect vertical line. After you get this, its time to adjust your sight.

Also compliments of Nuts&Bolts, does your grip look like this? See attached pic.

I place the left side of the grip along the lifeline of my hand. Also I tried a Shrewd grip that was one a bow at the pro shop and didnt like it.

Attachments

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My grip seems to be pretty close to that... Bottom of my hand right where my thumb bone meets my hand, straight up the center of my hand.. I was always told to make as much bone to bone contact as possible for a solid grip..

· has been that never was
14,362 Posts
I feel for you Meister. I've been having trouble torquing my BulletX and I can't seem to get it out of my head.. Now nothing feels right when I'm shooting.. And I'm changing positions shot to shot. I actually caught myself adjusting my grip while I was aiming..

Walk back tuning is pretty simple. Actually, I kind of enjoy doing it. Nothing like getting the confidence of knowing your bow performs the same at 10 or 50..

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just thought I would post a little update... I finally got to shooting again and I did a couple walk back tests... Now, the ONLY thing ive done to my bow since I started this post, was put a GRIPWERKS grip on my bow... I love the grip so far... I put it on, went out and shot it... My findings were that I definatly shoot better with this grip, and due to the wind outside right now, I didnt want to really adjust anything... I did the string thing and my arrows seem to be relativly close to the line on every shot now... I dont know if its a head game, or if I just couldnt be consistant enough with the stock bowtech grip... I will update again as I go (or as the wind permits)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.