Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a handgun that I can carry with me while I hunt. Due to some break-ins and other tresspassing issues I have decided it is time to have something with me besides my bow. Plus it will nice to have walking back in forth in the morning incase of dogs, coyotes, etc... Can anyone give me some advice on a brand/caliber that is the lightest, most concealed? I am leaning towards a .40 Cal Springfield XD because I want to stay around $500-$600 MAX, can be less. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
938 Posts
A 40. is a great choose. I carry about three altogether. I like the Ruger SP-101 357 mag. it is small and easy to conceal. It also comes in different cals. to choose from. I also carry a Ruger GP-100 357. mag with a 8" barrel. I carry it while I'm huntin' and also in the truck. I also keep a sawed off 12 ga. in my truck for a back up. In my opinion you can never have to many. The gun that your lookin' at is a great choose. I have shot it and I was very pleased with it and I think you will too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a concealed carry permit in FL and carry everyday. I was leaning hard to an XD subcompact to be my primary carry, but picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry II the other day and fell in love. I probably wouldn't take it to the woods, for that I would stick with the old Walther P99(.40), this is in my truck always but where I hunt I don't worry so much about self defense as other things. During bow season I carry a Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410/45LC. It is only a two shot, but with the .410 I can take care of snakes and such and the 45LC is good just to have. Not a long range gun or a gun I would want to get in a shoot out with but it is very small and does the job. The XD is a great gun, it goes boom when you pull the trigger and that is what counts. My advice would be to pick up alot of guns and get one that feels good, then shoot it before purchase. As far as caliber is concerned my main concern would be to find what caliber is the cheapest and most available. In my area 9mm is the easiest to find. If you are not worrying about stopping a charging bear or something it would do fine. Good luck let us know how you come out.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I will either carry my Glock 19 9mm or my Ruger Vaquero .45 colt. If I am doing lots of hiking, I prefer the Glock to keep the overall "weight down".

I did get to shoot at a Cougar last year (while bow hunting elk) with my Vaquero. :thumbs_up

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 40. is a great choose. I carry about three altogether. I like the Ruger SP-101 357 mag. it is small and easy to conceal. It also comes in different cals. to choose from. I also carry a Ruger GP-100 357. mag with a 8" barrel. I carry it while I'm huntin' and also in the truck. I also keep a sawed off 12 ga. in my truck for a back up. In my opinion you can never have to many. The gun that your lookin' at is a great choose. I have shot it and I was very pleased with it and I think you will too.
I have a concealed carry permit in FL and carry everyday. I was leaning hard to an XD subcompact to be my primary carry, but picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry II the other day and fell in love. I probably wouldn't take it to the woods, for that I would stick with the old Walther P99(.40), this is in my truck always but where I hunt I don't worry so much about self defense as other things. During bow season I carry a Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410/45LC. It is only a two shot, but with the .410 I can take care of snakes and such and the 45LC is good just to have. Not a long range gun or a gun I would want to get in a shoot out with but it is very small and does the job. The XD is a great gun, it goes boom when you pull the trigger and that is what counts. My advice would be to pick up alot of guns and get one that feels good, then shoot it before purchase. As far as caliber is concerned my main concern would be to find what caliber is the cheapest and most available. In my area 9mm is the easiest to find. If you are not worrying about stopping a charging bear or something it would do fine. Good luck let us know how you come out.
Thanks fellas, great advice.

I love the Kimbers but man that price tag makes me cringe....I know there are some hand guns that are like $200 new but I personally have my doubts with something that cheap. Anyone know what an XD runs in your area? Today I saw them for $535 and $575....Open to different brand in this price range. My brother had a Sig Sauer .40 but is it a pretty heavy gun with a full clip in it.

As for the Caliper, a box of bullets for a .45 and .40 were close to the same but they didnt have ANY .45 in stock but they did have some .40, lots of 9mm. I wanted a .40 but I could go with a 9mm for the right price.

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about a S&W? Anyone got any feedback on them?

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
You can't beat a Ruger Semi-Auto for reliability, and price.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My dad has a Smith .40 (can't tell you what model). It is a little bulky for me.
I have an XD compact .45 and a Glock .45, as well as a cute little taurus .32 H&R mag. Of the three, the taurus is my favorite to carry cause of the size.

·
Registered
162 Posts
compact glock. great little gun as long as i am on my own land i carry all the time no matter what but really thats all i really hunt

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Don't know what kind of hunting you do, but for me I want something durable and rugged. I would not want to be carrying a kimber around the woods.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What about a S&W? Anyone got any feedback on them?
The M&P's are nice , but my choice like stated above if it where me and i wanted a true compact , it would be a XD 9mm , reason is RECOIL , with a true subcompact recoil is a issue . If a revlolver isn't out of the question check into the taurus hammerless 38's nice little handgun .

·
Registered
427 Posts
The M&P's are nice , but my choice like stated above if it where me and i wanted a true compact , it would be a XD 9mm , reason is RECOIL , with a true subcompact recoil is a issue . If a revlolver isn't out of the question check into the taurus hammerless 38's nice little handgun .
I have read a bunch about handguns to carry in the last couple of days after my Kimber experience. The Glocks are like the work horse of the industry, the fire all the time, nothing fancy or special they just work. I don't like them, they don't feel right and the smaller models are just to small, but still a great gun if you like it. I think that the XD line is very similar and haven't heard anything bad. I have seen the XD subcompact from 550 to 650 down here but my state is FUBAR, so you sound like you are in the ball park. If you are going to get a gun to defend you and your familie's life make sure you are a 100% comfortable with it and it works. There are some great forums out there that are just about concealed carry handguns, I found one and it has been very informative. I read a little about the S&W and I think that the XD or Glock would be a better choice.
Oh and I am not going to carry the Kimber in the woods, it will be my everyday carry, not for the woods.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Love my CZ-RAMI in 9mm for all carry situations. They make it in .40 cal too, but 9mm ammo is cheap and just as deadly.
I have a CZ-P40 that I take with me. A little heavy (all metal, no plastic on this gun) but very accurate out of the box. I am thinking about getting a 9mm too though (so I can carry more than 10 bullets). That sayed, my dad just bought a .40 Browning {not sure what model} it is very light, has a de-cocker and come with 3, 15 round clips. He carry's it everywhere with him and it conceals very nicely on the hip.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I carry a Glock 10mm 16rds with an additional 15rd mag. Hence my username G20.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I've owned both a xd sub and a kimber stainless ultra carry 2.

The xd will have less issues period. A 1911 style gun it almost always seems you have todo some work to them. Once you get it running smooth its hands down my fav carry gun.

Dont forget to look into the taurus line. Something like the 24/7 or the mil pro.

I never had a problem out of the ruger p series either. They are tanks if you run out of bullets you can club them with it.

Good luck on your search. If you dont mind used you can find some good deals on xdtalk.com

As far as holsters for in the woods. I still like my crossbreed supertuck. Or any tuckable that you feel best with. In the woods id hate to fall in the mud and get gunk all in the gun.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Check out the 1000 round Glock torture test on Youtube.
My carry gun is the Glock 19.
It may not be the prettiest gun on the world but it is in your price range and the ammo is cheaper.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts