Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Nope.

Coming from an actual "trained through schooling and work butcher".

I don't hang mine.
And that is the opinion I will go with. :)

Plus, it's too hot to let em hang here... and i don't have an extra fridge.

·
Time is ticking away
2,219 Posts
As soon as I field dress and get it home, I hang it in the garage, skin asap, cut out the tenderloins and backstrap, then quarter the deer. Wrap all pieces in Glad wrap and put in the refrig. in the basement for at least 5 days.

After 5 days, I butcher the deer (de-bone) cut the steaks, roasts and grind the burger. I've never had a bad tasting tough deer. It works for me.

·
-------
2,640 Posts
I butcher the deer (de-bone) cut the steaks
We stopped cutting them into steaks before freezing. We leave them whole cut into portion size and if we want to cut them into steaks do it after they thaw. Our groups theory is there is less surface area to get freezer burn and if any happens you can shave it off and then cut into steaks.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Two big reasons for hanging. You want the carcass to cool down as fast as possible and you want all extraneous fluids to drain out.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
We start butchering as soon as i get home with it.......if it's an late evening kill.....we'll wait till next morning.I never could tell the difference in how tender they were rather we left them hang for a couple days or butchered right away.........so i perfere getting it over with.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Cut all the meat off and leave in the largest pieces of meat possible, then let sit in the fridge for 4-5 days before final butchering.

Aging def. can help make it a bit more tender. Aged Meat, It's What's for Dinner.

Most do it I think so they can go back hunting and butcher them all at once after the weekend's over. Some people go to the extreme and hang like 10 days or more.....maybe it's good I'll never know, but exposed meat outside that long, too much can go wrong IMO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will cut mine up that day and debone everything but I will keep it in my cooler for about a week in ice and water, changing it out every other day to get as much of the blood out of the meat as possible. I have found that the more blood you get out of the meat the less gamey it tastes. Also I have found that bucks taste stronger than does no matter what I do....so my wife tells me to try to shoot does. You cant eat the horns:wink:.

·
Registered
879 Posts
the butcher here does the same thing, for three days
never thought or knew why he did that

just thought if was because he was behind on the processing

·
Registered
825 Posts
We stopped cutting them into steaks before freezing. We leave them whole cut into portion size and if we want to cut them into steaks do it after they thaw. Our groups theory is there is less surface area to get freezer burn and if any happens you can shave it off and then cut into steaks.
+1

I do that with all game and fish. Leave the silverskin on deer in large portion sizes (whole quarters even), leave the skin/scales on fish filets, etc. When I defrost, THEN I trim and cut how I need for cooking.

·
-------
2,640 Posts
I think where you live might have something to do with it as well. Where I rifle hunt there isn't a cornfield, soybean field, or any ag field within 5 miles all the acorns are gone within 2 weeks of them dropping. I'm betting these deer will taste different than say one taken in Iowa using the same butchering method.

·
Time is ticking away
2,219 Posts
That is a very good point.
Good hunting to ya

·
-------
2,640 Posts
That is a very good point.
Good hunting to ya
Same to you. Give it a try sometime.

I think a lot of us just do what we were taught growing up. My dad always skinned deer while they were hanging by the hind legs. He would saw down the backbone before taking the back-straps out. I always thought that that was how everyone did it. My Father passed away and I started hunting with my in-laws. They did stuff so completely different. Skin them while hanging by the head (unless it was getting mounted). Only time a saw is used is to separate the hind quarters. Cut the front shoulders off of the ribcage. If I would have never hunted with them I'd probably still be doing it the way my Dad taught me. To each their own.

This would be a good thread to seperate whose house you would want to go to dinner at or not.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I shot a nice 8 point on opening day of the Wisconsin gun deer season (Nov 21st) and hung him on the pole at the cabin all week. Then took him home and hung him up again cuz he was froze solid. I had this last wednesday off and we had him in my parents basement thawing for a day and then cut him up. I believe in letting them hang cuz it does tendorize them and to me it takes the gamey taste out of the meat.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I always hang my deer a minimum of a few days. I prefer to let it hang 1-2 weeks. I once read in a book written by a the owner of a wild game processing company and restaurant owner that a deer should hang from 2-4 weeks to reach prime flavor and tenderness. Of course temps need to remain above freezing and below 50. He even gave a recipe to keep flies from laying eggs on your deer if the weather is a little too warm. I know lots of people who think I'm crazy but they are always amazed by the dishes I make with my venison compared to theirs. I made shishkabobs one year and had to recover the bloody butcher paper that had 2008 V roast written on it out of the trash to convince my friends that it was actually venison. They thought it was beef from Vaun Hansons or something. I have also had venison from people who did not hang their deer and I thought it was gamey and tougher then mine. Even if your deer is young it can be tough because rigor mortise sets in and creats a massive excess of lactic acid, which causes all the muscles to constrict and make the meat tough. If you don't give it at least 36 hours for this acid to leech out of the meat your meat will be tougher than if you had let it hang. Not saying it will be leather, but could be better. To each his own but my system has always worked for me and I have never had a gamey tasting dish. And anything tastes better than an MRE anyway!

Jon

·
Registered
126 Posts
Being from the east coast we always hear about these things that guys on the west coast do when it comes to hunting as out west is completely different kind of hunting goes the stories. One of the things we heard about was how these guys would hang their deer for a minimum of 14 days and then scrape the rot and mold off and the meat was phenomenal. and this was not 14 days of refigderator temps either, this was like room temp at a field camp.

I was alway curious if this was just one of those unfounded west coast rumors or if there really were people who hang deer that long and actually scrape the rotten meat off when they process. sounds a lot like Kobe beef.

·
-------
2,640 Posts
Being from the east coast we always hear about these things that guys on the west coast do when it comes to hunting as out west is completely different kind of hunting goes the stories. One of the things we heard about was how these guys would hang their deer for a minimum of 14 days and then scrape the rot and mold off and the meat was phenomenal. and this was not 14 days of refigderator temps either, this was like room temp at a field camp.

I was alway curious if this was just one of those unfounded west coast rumors or if there really were people who hang deer that long and actually scrape the rotten meat off when they process. sounds a lot like Kobe beef.
I've never heard of people scraping the rot and mold off before. The one that I've heard is nailing a duck through the bill to the barn with the guts in and when the bill falls off the duck is ready to eat. No thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
man, i thought we

i thought we were talking like stringin them up lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like a lot wasted meat to me. Wanton waste I think is what that would fall under.

Personally, there is no such thing as a "gamey taste" to deer meat. It's a dark meat with zero fat content. It's going to have a different taste than beef. If it is "gamey" thats probably some of the rotten meat you forgot to scrape off. Also depends on what the primary food source is for any given area. Acorn/browse fed deer will have a different taste than a deer primarily feeding on corn, wheat or beans.

Hanging deer for days? Absolutely no use in it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts