Archery Talk Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
And that is the opinion I will go with. :)

Plus, it's too hot to let em hang here... and i don't have an extra fridge.
Everything I've read by the pro's say it won't make any difference as well.
Venison and beef are very different types of meat.
I don't hang mine and my last two have been tasty and tender.

What makes a real difference is how its handled once its butchered. Removing all the fat and silver skin will make A++ cuts. It takes me maybe close to 2 hours to get the meat off the deer and then AT least another good 2-3 to clean it up before it goes in the freezer... I get ever piece of silver skin off that I can.
The silver skin is what makes a tough cut of meat for the most part.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
1-2 days?? well I hang mine for at least 3 days, try for 5 days.

But I keep them regulated temps, 35-39 degrees

I have a system in my garage. Built a small 4 x 4 enclosed area with insulation board around it and our window air conditioner unit from the lake cottage. I keep the thermostat outside the enclosed area so it runs all the time. Gets it down to under 50 degrees even in hot weather.

Then I freeze 2 liter bottles with water, lots of them. I hang the deer and wrap it in an old felt blanket and tie it up , then fill the cavity with frozen 2 liters. Then on the outside of the hams I have wire tied to the 2 liters, so I hang 1 or 2 on each outside ham.

Then the hole deer and 2 liters get wrapped in two old sleeping blankets, then a big plastic tarp that is folded in half so its double thick, That gets wrapped around 3 times. Tie it up

The meat is so cold when you butcher it your hands get cold.

Meat turns a nice dark shade of red. And it is SO much more tender.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Everything I've read by the pro's say it won't make any difference as well.
Venison and beef are very different types of meat.
I don't hang mine and my last two have been tasty and tender.

What makes a real difference is how its handled once its butchered. Removing all the fat and silver skin will make A++ cuts. It takes me maybe close to 2 hours to get the meat off the deer and then AT least another good 2-3 to clean it up before it goes in the freezer... I get ever piece of silver skin off that I can.
The silver skin is what makes a tough cut of meat for the most part.
You should leave the silver skin on as it helps protect from freezer burn. Cut it off after you've thawed it out and ready to prepare.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I usually let it hang for 2-3 days if the outdoor temps alow for me to do that. Meat tastes better usually.

·
Bow down to the man camz
2,122 Posts
I will hang a deer as long as it takes to cool down in warm tempatures. Of course the entire cavity is packed with ice. It it is cold 1-2 days tops. Freezing temps I will hang for a couple of hours then quarter up and place in ridge. Cutting up frozen deer sucks. Skinning frozen deer really sucks.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts