Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would one might find some high strength cables for platform supports on homemade hang on stands? I'm in the process of constructing plans for some stands for some Ohio bowhunting next year:D. I am open to any suggestions involving these stands about safety, portability and theft protection. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I attach all my stands with 3 ratchet straps, 2 on top and 1 on the bottom. You have to release the pressure at the end of season and re tighten before you climb in at the beginning of season.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I use small (not too small mind you) chain for this and cover it with old garden hose or shrink tubing from Harbor Freight. Chain adds more weight BUT, you can run a hardened bolt through it and not have to worry about cable clamps. I buy chain that at least a 5/16" bolt can fit through the links. One more suggestion: If you leave your chain run a little long you can adjust the base to hang below level incase the tree leans away from you. Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I think he is asking about the cables that run on an angle to support the base.Not the chaing or strap to attatch to a tree.
You're right. And harbor freight would be my first suggestion.

1/4" x 50 Ft. Aircraft Grade Wire Cable 6000 lbs, $20
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97509

or

3/16" x 50 Ft. Aircraft Grade Wire Cable 4000 lbs, $10
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97506

Either way, the limiting factor regarding strength is going to be how you attach it, not the cable itself.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I was talking about the platform supports that run at an angle, I just use chain for these too. I do not trust cable clamps that are not done at the factory.
I use chain around the tree, to hang the stand with AND chain to support the base.
Check out Family Traditions treestands, the hang-on's (HD-HO model), and that will give you a visual of what I do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Twenty years ago we used to use chain with turnbuckles. Lately we have switched to ratchet straps. They seem to work a lot better than the buckles. That was on homemade lock-ons.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Many people use way more cable (diameter) than they really need. Check the load rating of the cable and plan accordingly. We been using 1/8" for years. I would suggest going with a vinyl coated or stainless steel to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Rembrandt, please excuse my ignorance ... what is holding the back edge of the stand to the tree? The pics are good, I was just wondering what you are using to attach it to the tree.

THANKS

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, have to buy some of this stuff before I get too far into building. How about how many straps to hold too the tree 1 or 2? Where would you get and would they have to be special or like walmart of TSC ones?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Stands are permanent, lag bolted to the tree.
Rembrandt1,

Your are fixen to kill yourself :mg:

I think you better buy your stands. At least get rid of Eye bolts into the tree for gods sake. All you need is little rot around one of those eye bolts - you climb onto your stand - go to pull up your pack and bow - eye bolt pulls out - second eye bolt can't hold the weight - Rembrant1 gets dumped like he is standing on trap door.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Rembrandt1,

I think you better buy your stands. At least get rid of Eye bolts into the tree for gods sake. All you need is little rot around one of those eye bolts - you climb onto your stand - go to pull up your pack and bow - eye bolt pulls out - second eye bolt can't hold the weight - Rembrant1 gets dumped like he is standing on trap door.
Appreciate the concern, but you're wrong. Eye bolts and lag bolts are galvanized 1/2" diameter 6" long. After many years the trees grow around them making the stand even more stable. The stand in the photo is nearly 20 years old and solid as the day it was installed. Of the 15 permanent stands we have, all are built with far heavier materials and hardware than any commercial stand offered. We've used those rickety clamp on commercial stands and prefer something more stable.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
As far as connecting to the tree try this, http://www.deerstands.net/index.html ,other than the type of chain he is using this should work out good for you. If you do not like this method just use the standard chain around the tree method, tree rats love chewing straps.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,005 Posts
I use small (not too small mind you) chain for this and cover it with old garden hose or shrink tubing from Harbor Freight. Chain adds more weight BUT, you can run a hardened bolt through it and not have to worry about cable clamps. I buy chain that at least a 5/16" bolt can fit through the links. One more suggestion: If you leave your chain run a little long you can adjust the base to hang below level incase the tree leans away from you. Just my two cents :)
I used aircraft cable until the cable locks started slipping then went to chain.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Ratchet straps for attaching it to the tree, use 2 and replace them every 3 years. Another option is one chain and one ratchet strap, if the strap fails, the chian will still hold you even if it's unsteady. I buy them from home depot.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Rembrandt1,

I'm with Rigg, They may be fine for now but, looks "sketchy" to me. I try to stay a far away from Murphys Law as possible. I make my stands with out cable. Your life is at the mercy of a cable clamp. I hope you and your huntin buddys use a harness.
Look at this stand. No cables, NO lag bolts ( I have twisted the head off of them putting them in trees ) All welded square 14gauge steel. Locked on with a heavy chain and binder. It is a semi- permanent lock on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm with Rigg, They may be fine for now but, looks "sketchy" to me. I try to stay a far away from Murphys Law as possible. I make my stands with out cable. Your life is at the mercy of a cable clamp. I hope you and your huntin buddys use a harness.
Look at this stand. No cables, NO lag bolts ( I have twisted the head off of them putting them in trees ) All welded square 14gauge steel. Locked on with a heavy chain and binder. It is a semi- permanent lock on.

Nice stand...

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I like the design of swampboss BUT, they just seem like they would weigh a ton. I am planning on making something very similar for my father but I plan on using 3/4" conduit instead. The only request my dad makes is that his stands have arm rests so he can push himself to his feet, he has never fully recovered from Miniscus surgery.
I would think a stand hoist would be in order for hanging these anyway. Guess I better start whipping up some stands for next season.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts