Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used a hang on stand before only climbers. I have developed a hernia this year and the climber is giving me issues. Does anyone out there have some suggestions on a good stand. But more importantly how do you use them, as well as how do you use climbing sticks. I have never seen these used before so if anyone has photos or maybe a link to a video it would be a great help.

Thanx Fellow Bow Hunters

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can try starting out at some of the bigger name companies for tree stands and see if they have any instructional help or videos for using a fixed stand.

Summitstands.com
lonewolfstands.com
Gorilla, not sure what the web address is. I bought a stand from them and the instructional VHS tape that came with it was very good.

All are fairly easy to setup and use both stands and the sticks. Just make sure you tie off when hanging the stand and it don't hurt to take a buddy along either until you get comfortable with doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Of the 6 different types of stands I own, Gorilla are by far the easiest to set up... for me anyway. Watch the video that comes with the stand. Also a climbing harness is a must, that way you can have both hands free to hang the stand.

·
outback1
5,057 Posts
I think you might check on getting a ladder stand.it's easyer to get into,lock on stands are not that easy to climb up.just a thought

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention I hunt public land, and I here alot of guys complaining that they get ripped off. I also change my location nearly everytime I hunt.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
climbing stix are great...but they are big when walking through the woods. if you are going to change spots everytime...i would probably use something different. I wouldnt want to carry the sticks in the woods every single time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everything these guys have said is 100% on the button. How bad is your hernia? Your climber still might be your best bet. You might try changing your climbing technique, and just use your legs. When you move the upper portion of your climber, only move it up as high as your butt. Then lean your butt back on to the "shooting rail" part of the upper portion, so that your kinda sitting on it. Pick up your feet and the lower portion and move on up. It will make for a slower climb but, it it will also be less taxing on your body during the climb. Don't ofrget your safety harness.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you are willing to invest the dough... ($300) I would get the Lone Wolf Alpha hang on and stick combo. It sounds perfect for your situation. You can be very mobile due to its light weight and ease of setup. Its quick quiet and deadly. The sticks can be a bit awkward to climb, but they have been great for me. Check that out..

http://www.lonewolfstands.com

Clay

·
Registered
802 Posts
Something I always overlook is the style of climber your using. I use the Summit Viper, it is a sit and climb type where I know not all are. You might try one of those style climbers vs a open front climber and see if that makes a difference for you.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would suggest tree pegs..although they can be dangerous..they are much smaller than the sticks. its hard to say though...I'm not used to moving my stands...i hunt private land and hang stands and leave them all season, then take them down when the season ends. so that is why I like the sticks.

if you can find smaller more light weight sticks..i would go with those. the ones I have are 4 or 5 feet long and pretty heavy for everyday carrying. i think lone wolf makes some smaller more light weight sticks..maybe easier for trasporting in and out of the woods

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The problem with ladder stands, unless you make them yourself - are the new ones come with side rails mostly making some shots a royal pain in the butt with a bow. Great for rifle hunting tho.

If you go to hang on stands and use sticks/steps. Make sure you place your stand below the top of the ladder/last step. I see hundreds of stands out in the woods each year while working that I don't know how people get into them. They'll have a 15ft. stick ladder and the stand is at the very top, I guess they pull themselves up onto it instead of stepping onto it from the side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am young and healthy and hanging a loc-on stand is a PITA! It is not good if you have a hernia.

A sit and climb climber is probably your best bet. There are by far the less physical of the two.

Hang-on stands require you to put steps up the tree, either screw in steps, strap on steps, climbing sticks or buck steps. Then you have to stand at the top of the steps with a harness holding you to the tree and pull up the hang-on stand with a rope. Then you have to have the forces of the universe align as you try to balance on the steps, lean on your harness and at the same time strap or chain the stand to the tree. It gets easier with practice, but it sucks none the less.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
whiskey said:
I am young and healthy and hanging a loc-on stand is a PITA! It is not good if you have a hernia.

A sit and climb climber is probably your best bet. There are by far the less physical of the two.

Hang-on stands require you to put steps up the tree, either screw in steps, strap on steps, climbing sticks or buck steps. Then you have to stand at the top of the steps with a harness holding you to the tree and pull up the hang-on stand with a rope. Then you have to have the forces of the universe align as you try to balance on the steps, lean on your harness and at the same time strap or chain the stand to the tree. It gets easier with practice, but it sucks none the less.
I've never had that experience for the most part if you buy lightweight aluminum stands. I don't use a safety harnass while hanging a stand which may help, in some situations I'll use a belt.

I typically use hang on stands which allow you to either put the strap up or a t-screw and then hang the stand on it, which I think is much easier than hoisting up a stand and trying to posistion and strap it all at once.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Buck Stopper said:
I have never used a hang on stand before only climbers. I have developed a hernia this year and the climber is giving me issues. Does anyone out there have some suggestions on a good stand. But more importantly how do you use them, as well as how do you use climbing sticks. I have never seen these used before so if anyone has photos or maybe a link to a video it would be a great help.

Thanx Fellow Bow Hunters
Buckstopper if a hernia is the problem you would be better off with a climbing treestand with a seat type climber. then attack two ropes to the platform and pull the stand up using your hands.
The hang on are a lot of work compaired to a climber and weight 20lbs (stand and sticks)

·
11,954 Posts
whiskey said:

This is by far the best explanation of hanging a stand I have seen! I am young, athletic, and healthy, and for me hanging more than two or three stands in a DAY is too much. It does get easier with practice, but for ease of use a climber is definately your best bet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate all of the folks out there trying to help. The problem with the climber (sit down/standup) is the crunching motion, I really dont have to much trouble lifting up to about 40lbs depending on how I am lifting the weight. Even dragging a deer out has not been to bad. For some reason that lifting the legs up with the weight of the platform gets me.

I was also looking at some of the strap on steps. But by the earlier post, it seems that putting the stand in place on the tree is whats difficult.

So what do you guys thiink of this kind of stand, it is a packable ladderstand and only weighs 24lbs at 14ft.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
if you plan on moving alot...that might not be the way you should go. 24 pounds may not seem heavy..but it its when hanging a stand. like others said...get a sit and climb climber or some really light weight tree sticks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts