Archery Talk Forum banner

Hanging a bear rug

5815 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  stinky1
A few years ago I shot a really nice black bear in Alberta. I had it made into a traditional rug, with the head up. I have had it on my tiled basement floor for the last 2 years - it's now shedding a lot of hair from foot traffic. My wife insists that it go on the wall. Does anyone have any idea how to mount this thing to a wall. It doesn't have any mounting hardware - it was meant to be on the floor. Any ideas would be appreciated.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,276 Posts
another idea.

I have cut plywood to fit the layout of the bear skin and then staple rug to the plywood.

It sounds weird but, the hide doesn't sag and less holes in the wall.

take care

· Registered
11 Posts
The rug I have has two layers of felt on bottom. I used those heavy duty brass furniture type thumb tacks and placed one through the first layer of felt about every foot or so all the way around the bear. The second layer of felt covers the tacks. It's been up for a few years and no problems.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I sewed little round eye hooks into the bottom of mine and then used whatever on the drywall to hang - actually I hung mine on a brick wall so I needed the eye hooks. If you were going to hang on drywall, then as suggested, just nail it.

Oh, *** with the foot traffic!

· Registered
328 Posts
Mine came with rings, like car key rings, on all four legs, the head, the tail, and both sides. I'm sure your taxidermist would know someone that could sew them on if you weren't comfortable sewing it yourself.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
i agree....take it to your taxidermist and have him sew some rings on it or something. he will better know how to hang it and make it so you can hang it how you want.

when it comes to my trophys on the wall...i dont just settle on nailing it...i would want it hunt with rings

just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.