Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're leaving as soon as we get off shift Thursday morning to go hang our stands in Illinios..:D :D Man this is almost as much fun as the hunt.:p

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I hear ya man!

Going this week to hang stands on my place in Pike Co., Illinois.

My buddies think I am nuts for doing it every year.
Hey, it`s only a 1400 mile round trip from the house!:D

Good luck, and let me know how the season treats you.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
arrowhawk, my wife thinks I am nuts too, but she just doesn`t understand!:D

Look at it this way....every single year, within a 20 mile radius of where I hunt in pike co, they kill probably 10 bucks in archery that are bigger than our PA state record!

I drive out every spring to walk my ground, look for sheds, and just hang out with the locals for a couple of days.

It`s a tough job, but.....:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
720 miles

720 miles round trip and I can't wait.You gotta love it.:D :D

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hung 2 last week in Ogle county.

Where are you guys hunting?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Only 2 hours for me.

I've hunted about 30 mile North of you near Mt. Sterling IL.

Also closer to Canton IL.

Lots of good hunting down that way. You have a lease?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hancock

We are hunting Hancock county this year,close to West Point .I think that's pretty close to Mt.Sterling.We hunted Pike county last year near Nebo.It was great.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Many years ago I went to college in Carthage, also in Hancock cty North of West Point. Never got to hunt the area.

Best wishes for a great season.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don,

You hang those stands in Ogle at Lowden Miller? I live about 12 miles from there and hunt some private ground right by the park. You probably drive by it on the way. I've seen quite a few nice bucks in the area the last couple of years, not to mention the large turkey population. My family also owns a farm about 5 miles to the east. I see you post a lot but am a lurker by nature. Good luck, look me up when you come up that way... What do you know about Iriquois county, that's kind of close to you isn't it. Friend of mine has some land along the Iriquois river and said I could bowhunt it but don't know the first thing about the area.

M Shane

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hey!!!! It's fun to hear from you.

Actually I've got some private access West of LM. First time in a few years I"ve had private land to hunt. I plan on 'camping' at the Motel 6 South of Dixon when I hit it hard the end of October and the rut.

I've hunted the Iroquois County Cons' Area which is about 15 miles East of the Iroquois river. Guys who hunt it regularly get pretty good at it but I found it less than inspiring. I had a buddy whose deer (a forky) was stolen there. Got to the end of the long blood trail and found a gut pile. Guess he shouldn't have sat for an hour after the shot, but he didn't want to mess up other's hunts.

As far as your buddy's land goes. There is some nice looking land around where the River and Beaver creek meet. It is all farm land with the expected strip of woods along the river and small drainages into it. IMO it is worth your time to drive over there (about 3 hours from you) to check it out. 'course I'd be happy to check it out for you as it is only about an hour from me!! I promise digital pictures!!!

:p

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Yes Don, I have a lease. I have private ground that I hunt for free also, but I still renew my lease every year just in case! Besides, it is really good hunting ground.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Danny, I take 4 with me, but try to only use three. Four stands is a lot of work to take down on the last day!

BTW, the way it looks as of right now, I will be in Pike Co. real early friday morning. What time are you guys gonna be headed back that way?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would say late afternoon.Just depends on how much we get done Thursday.3 of us are going to try and hang 6 or 8 stands.If we get back through before the feed store closes I'll try to find you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey Mshane, I hunt in Iroquois county and have hunted there for the last 5 years. It is a great county and has a lot of good sized deer. I set up my stands 1 week ago when it was really warm out. Because it was so warm, I only wore a short sleeved shirt and now have a great case of poison oak or ivy on both arms and am itching like mad. If you have the oportunity to hunt near the Iroquois River, you should.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
FirefighterC1, it looks like my trip has already been cut out. Looks like I gotta fly out to San Diego on friday, and won`t be back until saturday or sunday!:mad:

Maybe I can make it next week. Good Luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts