Archery Talk Forum banner

Hanging together...

1390 Views 22 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  ronnieb
Lest we hang seperately. Ben Franklin said that,
oh... some 230, 240 years ago.

I've been an avid hunter for over 50 years now.
There's no way that I can count the number of people
that I've hunted with or have been involved / associated
with while pursuing my (our) passion - called hunting.

But.
I can count the number of people that I will (would - some
are now dead) hunt with, share a camp with, trust not to
shoot me or my dogs...
Have fun with, enjoy their company, never argue with about
our preferred methods of doing things, because the methods
and beliefs don't vary enough to warrant discussion, much
less arguement.
It comes down to 10, maybe 12 people, and that would be
a liberal assessment.

What in God's name would make me think that I can
get along with however many hundreds of active posters there
are on an archery / hunting forum?
Hell, many - if not most, would not only criminalize the
way we've been going about things for the afore-mentioned
50 years now...
But just might throw me and my 10 or 12 select hunting
buddies in jail.
'Cause that ain't the way it oughta be done in PA, CA, NY,
VT, IA, KS, GA, NJ, MT, WI, wherever...

Now, I reckon I've spent way too much time, wasted too
much time in a crowd that is not only incapable of hanging
together - but would hang their dissenters.
Wheras... My buddies and me don't want nobody hung, we
just want to be left alone to do what we've always done, and
will continue to do. Which is, in a sense, hanging together.

It is my prediction that sometime before the younger members
grow old that our sport called hunting will be gone - though I'll
be a long time dead by then.
Because of the inability to hang together - minds remain too shut,
too judgemental...
The remaining living will hang seperately.

I ain't saying that this is my last post.
But I am saying that I don't belong here.
And I know how to side-step the proverbial
doorknob hitting me in the ass, before anyone
mentions it.

Ronnie
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,070 Posts
Well, if you've spent 50 years, met tons of people, and can only think of 10-12 that you've truely enjoyed you're probably right about not belonging here.

Not sure where you'd belong, but I don't know you. Maybe you belong in my camp with my buddies. But, the odds are low I suspect from reading that.

Not being sarcastic. 50 years is a long time to spend "hanging" especially when you only want to "hang" with a few folks.

· Registered
587 Posts
I believe what youre saying is theres way too many hunters against hunters. If you take the time to read the most active threads on any hunting forum on the net its 90% hunter vs. hunter for one reason or another. High Fence isnt real hunting, yes it is...Matthews is best, No bowtech is best....This is unethical that is unethical.... Im right and youre wrong, no IM right and YOURE wrong....

When it comes down to it we are all hunters and need to accept how, what, where, when, and why a person hunts. If you dont agree with the person because their values of the the hunt differ from yours its OK but dont make a big deal about it. Im sure theres anti's on here just like every other hunting website and when they see hunter vs. hunter on ethics, sportsmanship, or whatever they thrive off of it and take note for when they try to ban this or that or the other.

Nomatter what our differences are we all share a common ground and thats enjoying the peace and tranquility of the great outdoors. So instead of waging war on a person because they hunt HF, or saw brand x of bow fail, or whatever... ask them about their story and listen and enjoy. Then share your thoughts and opinions but do it in a way that shows respect for the hunter and his reason for posting, to tell his story.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,899 Posts
I hear you Ronnie.

Its the detachment of the internet that incites some to act much differently than they would in a more personal setting.

The polar opposite would be the case around a campfire. If it gets you down just take a break- I need to do the same. Hang in there buddy......

· Registered
1,796 Posts
There's no way that is your last post Ronnie. The thought of not having a forum to express your drawn out posts would probably drive you insane.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
i understand what your saying ronnie....and i believe that the hunter vs hunter needs to stop....but it never will!!

some people have to realize that everyone is allowed to have their personal opinion on any topic. yes, sometimes it can be a weakness, an opening for the anti's but in reality...it something that will never change.

look at PETA, for example, they have some normal people that could care less about hunting or fishing....and they have extremists who will spend over a million bucks to save a freaking 100 year old lobster!!! they fight back and forth about what is right and wrong.

so maybe i am alone here....but uniformity isnt always as good as it seems.

im not preaching that everyone should argue about these topics....but it will never stop.

i would love to share a campfire with anyone here....mainly because no matter if you hunt high fence, shoot deer out to 150 yards, shoot them in da face, or up the a-hole....we still share a comon passion which is the pursuit of game. we kill it, grill it, and repeat.

anytime you make it up to PA...i would love to share a few :darkbeer: and swap hunting stories :thumbs_up

· Registered
187 Posts
united we stand,divided we fall,ronnies right,sure is a lot of division,one sided opinions and the like.Part of my signature..."Bashing stinks:killpain:is a direct result of reading the same.Will hunting be gone in 50 yrs,I hope not,but it will probably be a lot different,turning into a rich mans game.
Ronnie,if you leave,I can understand why,Im considering it too.If you do,best wishes to you and yours.:rapture:

· Registered
71 Posts
Great post!
The hunter vs. hunter
hunter vs. landowner
hunter vs. farmer
hunter vs. Division of Wildlife
all this needs to stop
we have one true group that we need to be against and that's those who want to do away with hunting, do away with the landowner, do away with the farmer and make the division of wildlife a protectionist agency. We need to get together and fight those who truly wish to destroy us.

· Registered
8,583 Posts
Well, if you've spent 50 years, met tons of people, and can only think of 10-12 that you've truely enjoyed you're probably right about not belonging here.

Not sure where you'd belong, but I don't know you. Maybe you belong in my camp with my buddies. But, the odds are low I suspect from reading that.

Not being sarcastic. 50 years is a long time to spend "hanging" especially when you only want to "hang" with a few folks.

Maybe you should let your buddies decide for themselves what they think , What ? 1000 enemies or a 1000 freinds. To suspect is to assume , and you still are unsure. And you still dont know me.

Crazy Wolf.

· Registered
4,070 Posts
Maybe you should let your buddies decide for themselves what they think , What ? 1000 enemies or a 1000 freinds. To suspect is to assume , and you still are unsure. And you still dont know me.

Crazy Wolf.
I'm not deciding what others think. I have no idea what you are implying.

I did not bash him or even disagree. I just read it and made a reply. I don't know you.......you are correct. I don't get your point.

· Registered
8,583 Posts
I'm not deciding what others think. I have no idea what you are implying.

I did not bash him or even disagree. I just read it and made a reply. I don't know you.......you are correct. I don't get your point.
Read Ronnieb post agin and then read yours , notice anything ?

Crazy Wolf.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Hang in ther Ronnie. As an over 60 hunter I hear what you're saying. Like you said, I'll probably be dead before it happens. Just maybe some of the infighters will age a little and try to see others point of view, but I'm somewhat doubtful of it. There are still a bunch of us old guys that just want to hunt who are left on here so hang with us.:darkbeer:

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Well...at least he didn't use Gods name in vane this time in his post...not trying to argue...just being honest.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
I would think that many "hunters" should be a little thicker skinned that what many seem to be on these forums.:rolleyes: I wouldnt think many would seem to be such fragile lil' flowers. I mean after all, most of the non-supporters of our "sport" should have toughened you up over the years. Haven't you ever ran into much conflict in your long life. Let 'em know how you feel.... don't run and hide. Personally, I'm not one to turn the other cheek.... even if it means nipping at a few of the knuckleheads on the forums once in a while. :wink:

Good luck and good hunting :cool:

· Registered
187 Posts
I would think that many "hunters" should be a little thicker skinned that what many seem to be on these forums.:rolleyes: I wouldnt think many would seem to be such fragile lil' flowers. I mean after all, most of the non-supporters of our "sport" should have toughened you up over the years. Haven't you ever ran into much conflict in your long life. Let 'em know how you feel.... don't run and hide. Personally, I'm not one to turn the other cheek.... even if it means nipping at a few of the knuckleheads on the forums once in a while. :wink:

Good luck and good hunting :cool:
I dont know if its "run and hide" so much ,maybe just basically being tired of hearing it over and over,you know, the same old BS rehashed yet again.After awhile it just makes you:pukey:

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont know if its "run and hide" so much ,maybe just basically being tired of hearing it over and over,you know, the same old BS rehashed yet again.After awhile it just makes you:pukey:
crookedtoe...
Whoever you are, we seem to be on the same page.
If I've ever ran and hidden from anything, it escapes memory.
The more appropriate term would be getting your hat and
finding someplace else to be.
Someplace less controversial.

My hands are not clean, I'll be the first to say it...
Far too often, I've misread, misjudged, miswhatever,
and said some things here that I wish I could retrieve.
Most of those times, I'd overindulged, went beyond my
evening two drink limit - though that doesn't excuse being
rude.
Rude behaviour is inexcusable, anyplace, anytime.

All that said, every thread I author has a purpose behind it.
Sometimes I have a story to tell. Sometimes I'm asking a
question - relative to most here, I'm new to the bowhunting
game.
Sometimes, I reckon, I've gotten off my pew, pushed
the preacher from the pulpit and delivered my own sermon.
Most mornings after, I wish I'd stayed seated and kept
my mouth shut.

I've made a couple of laps to get to my point (again).
Certainly, we all have strong feelings regarding our way
of life, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.
Just don't try to make me think the way you do.
My wife can't, my kids can't, my grandkids can't, my
friends can't...
The above statement probably speaks for every individual
here.

Finally, the message clarified for any readers that ain't
clear on the concept: Post how you feel, then shutup,
stop it. Live and let live.

Allow me to repeat myself. I've said some things that
I wish I could take back, but I ain't never told anyone
that they oughten to hunt high-fences, that they shouldn't
bait, that if they shoot at far deer, they're unethical.
Summation: It ain't none of my bidness what anybody
else does as long as it is legal wherever they do it.

No, I don't want to remove myself from healthy exchange
of ideas and practices...
No, I don't want to get my hat and leave. I like to listen.
And to say what most here don't have the cajones to say...
I like the sound of my own voice, if anybody here says
they don't, they're lying.
This place provides an avenue for us all to do that.
But we better clean it up. Here, home and afield.

Or we'll hang seperately.
Ronnie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.