Archery Talk Forum banner

Hanging vs. Digital Spring Scale for DW & LO

2399 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ancient Archer
I want to use a 100 lb. hanging type scale on my draw board, but I’m finding that the hanging spring scales like Hanson, Pelouze, etc. and quite long, actually too long when allowing for the spring to be extended. In addition, I think it would need to be supported to keep it from sagging as it is stretched and I suspect the sag weight could affect the accuracy of the actual draw weight reading. Therefore, I’m wondering about the digital scales. I contacted Moultrie Feeders regarding their digital scale and they advised against using it for determining draw weight, stating it would not accurately respond to varying weights. I’ve also heard that digital scales should not be used horizontally. However, I like the digital scales because they are more compact, and perhaps a bit more accurate.

Do you know of a compact 100 lb. hanging spring scale that would fit the bill? Are any of you using digital scales? What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks for your help.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,576 Posts
I use the Coffey digital scale horizontally. I don't have any problems with it. There is a very minor learning curve. For example, if you have it set to record peak value to determine draw weight, you want to crank the winch smoothly and continuously until you pass the peak. If you go too slow or stop, the scale may choose that point as the peak. Also, when measuring holding force, you certainly do not want to have the scale set for peak weight. These are the kind of things you can sort out easily in one session. If you screw up, you know immediately. Then you change the setting, and repeat the measurement. No big deal.

· Registered
212 Posts
I am looking for a good digital scale for my drawboard as well. Has anyone used the jscale ultrasport 50? It looks like the american weigh scale w/a 110lb max.

The pelouze scale looks nice, but at $100+ is out of my price range.

TTT for any other advice.
Thanks OP for starting this.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought american weigh h-110 & it works great, only takes up 5 or 6 "s. Don't know how it compares to more expensive models , but at about 35 bucks it works for me.

I just checked out the specs on this scale http://www.scales-n-tools.com/index...ducts_id=109&zenid=lmk7e5ohsr31j3aqot76oeo7e3. It does seem to have a few "qualifications" and I get the sense that it might be a bit fragile. However, I gather this has not been your experience. Is there a warranty with this scale? At the price I doubt if any calibration weights come with it. What size weights do they recommend you use to calibrate the scale?

Further, I wonder if scales with a "hand" handle will work as well as those with a hook on each end, especially on a draw board. Seems like it could pull offcenter.

· Registered
3,044 Posts
The Coffey scale is very nice. It works well both horizontally and vertically.

I also have a cheap Hong Kong scale I bought off Ebay for less than $15 shipped to me that does weight to the hundredth of a pound that works flawlessly as well. It is also a lot smaller than the Coffey scale and takes up less real estate when using on a draw board.

· Registered
59 Posts
Well, I got it from scales & tools 3 weeks ago. When it came in it shut down after 50#'s (h110). They sent me a new one in 3 days with postage paid. The first thing I did was check it with a chain & 100 lb metal weights which I also checked w/ my sons scale who is a wrestler, so its right on. The h 110 was within about .25lbs. I also called manufacturer & they were going to back it up if S & t's didn't. Thats my experiencewith it, hope it's helpful. Seems to work fine so far on drawboard.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I also have a cheap Hong Kong scale I bought off Ebay for less than $15 shipped to me that does weight to the hundredth of a pound that works flawlessly as well. It is also a lot smaller than the Coffey scale and takes up less real estate when using on a draw board.
I'm interested. Could you let me know which one you purchased? Thanks.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
I bought american weigh h-110 & it works great, only takes up 5 or 6 "s. Don't know how it compares to more expensive models , but at about 35 bucks it works for me.
X2 mine has worked great in my draw board for a few yrs and over 100 bows.I also tried several cofee scales and they were not accurate have talked with others that had no luck with them aswell for drawboards.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious as to how you attached the hook to the handle without it sliding to one side???

· Yippiee ki-yay
3,626 Posts

Yeah, I bought one of those Hong Kong jobs today for less than $10.00 and free shipping, mine has 88lb max.. Read here on AT they made decent draw scales, cant wait to try it out.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I picked up the Jenning UltraSport50 a couple weeks ago. It looks just like the American Weigh H-110. In fact, I would guess it was made by AW.

I've used the US50 both in the horizontal position on the drawboard, and in a vertical position hanging from an overhead beam. In each case the weight readings were "weigh" off, by 4 lbs. I confirmed this by comparing the weight readings I got against two different Hanson hanging spring scales at local bow shops. My 60 lb bow, at maximum DW measured 62 lbs at each bow shop, and at 56 lbs with the limb screws turned out 4 complete turns. The US50 read these as 66 lbs. and 59 lbs. respectively. These readings were an average of three readings at each setting. I was expecting an accuracy of ± 1 lb. after being told by the Jennings rep that they were accurate within ± 1 oz.

I'm sending it back. Instead I'll look for a hanging spring scale - old reliable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.