Archery Talk Forum banner

hard to get up?

911 Views 29 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  old Graybeard
I am having problems crawling out of bed at 0430. Maybe cuz I havent seen a deer in 4 sits.Last night my wife had her knee in my back so now its out and I cant stand up straight:mad: yet I am still headed off to one of the stands on this base! limpin and all.

How do you guys get up for hunt after hunt???????
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
651 Posts
I know the feeling. I havn't seen a deer in the last week so far and I just got up to go out this morning. It is very tempting to just go back to bed. Would be a great day to sleep in!! Then again, would be a great morning to shoot something.

· Registered
811 Posts
well....im workin 7pm-7am this coming week so I stayed up all night last night/this morning hopeing that once 5:30 rolled around the wind would not start picking up.....but its blowing pretty good. wanted to hunt all this weekend...yesterday gusts up to 30mph.....no luck. probaly be nice all week while im at work. Some days its sure is tough when your use to a 3pm-12am shift. Otherwise as long as i got everything ready the night before and I got a good feeling about the spot im headed i stay pretty motivated in the morning.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
hard to get up?i can not sleep check alarms twice at night. as soon as coffee
starts dripping up 0430.only hunt 10 min from cabin.nap during day except for rut

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
re

I know what ya mean. LAst year there were a few sits that I did nto see a thing. I switched it up a little and grabbed my climber and tried a new spot. It was kinda exciting and I saw a couple deer.
MAybe you should get out and do some scouting on a section you havent hunted and see if there is any potential in the area.
I also drink coffee and it defiately helps me awake. Good luck, Isaac

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Repeated mornings are tuff. Usually I am shot about the 4th day. Funny how we can't wait for our time in the woods all year and when its time we have trouble getting there.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Try sleeping in a tent for two weeks, and waking up every morning with a sheet of ice covering your sleeping bag. Getting up at zero dark thirty pretty much sucks anytime, but try it when it's 20 degrees inside the tent. Two weeks of that wears on you a lot harder than not seeing any deer.

· Registered
4,801 Posts
I dont force myself to get up If I get up which I usually do fine if I sleep in then that is fine. I dont want hunting to feel like a job that would take all the fun out of it. I work six days a week and in the summer usually early sundays for 3d so kinda in a system.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Seriously TX morning hunts this time of season are so overrated that its not funny .Oh sure some guy over here shot a doe ,and you here some other guy over there shot a six point .But for the most part I like to hunt the evenings they are just easier to get to the stand without flushing the deer out or stumbling around in the dark .

And anyone with some experiance knows that the deer are very hungry this time of year and can't hardly wait to get out to feed of an evening where as in the morning they are as or more likely to be in thier beds befor daylight than in the fields.I will not miss a morrining hunt durring the rut however starting the end of October till the end of November .I have no problem knowing getting up knowing that the deer will be moveing all day and I will likely see or shoot a buck durring that time.:)

Don't feel bad TX you aren't the only one that hates to get up early.:wink:

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I am having problems crawling out of bed at 0430. Maybe cuz I havent seen a deer in 4 sits.Last night my wife had her knee in my back so now its out and I cant stand up straight:mad: yet I am still headed off to one of the stands on this base! limpin and all.

How do you guys get up for hunt after hunt???????
not in early season i hunt afternoons untill the third week of this month then go early and stay all day if nothing going on at work or home that needs my time....then after the second week of nov. i go in at about 7;30-8 and stay untill 2-3 then break and sit the rest of the day. remember the 10-2 rule!!!!

· Registered
3,185 Posts
I usually get up around 0500 many days during the week so getting up an hour early is fairly easy. I really should go in later as I rarely ever see a deer until around 0900 but I just keep hoping.

· Registered
748 Posts
I have a harder time getting up for pt during the week than I do on Saturday mornings to hunt. Guess its easier if its something youre actually looking forward to.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
all you gotta do is get one of those loud blaring alarm clocks. when your wife starts hitting you to get up and shut it off, you'll be awake. make sure you dont put it by the bed. put it across the room.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
If it ain't fun don't do it. I usually wait until the rut and get up around 0800 and hunt the whole day. Once in awhile I get up around sun up and and sit all day but it is a drain. There is absolutely no reason to be sitting in the stand before first light. However if you enjoy that time of the day then do it.

· Registered
460 Posts
I always have better luck in the afternoons in the early season, although here in Mo. it got up to 85. Today I made it out about 4:00 , but I forgot my Thermacell. I Pretty much wasted a hunt cause I couldn't sit still swatting skeeters,I'm probably going to need a blood transfusion.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a hard time getting up too....

For work!!!
Funny how it works that way...I have a hard time getting up at 7am for work...but come this weekend when I have to get up at 3:45am to go hunt, I bounce out of bed!
Course, I only hunt weekends this time of year....I couldn't do it for weeks on end this time of year. I only do that come early November...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.