Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you practice 10hrs a week or more please share your opinion.

What do you think is a reasonable goal to strive for in terms of group size and at what distance. Also please include if you are using magnification, matched arrows (how far did you take that one) and how much time you put in practicing.

I am trying to determine if my expectations are realistic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
practice

I am shooting pins on my switchback and when I am working for 3D, then I strive for 2 inch groups at 45 yards (my max) and all touching under 35. I match my arrows to within 2 grains usually 1 and spend a lot of my practice time LETTING DOWN! I let down a lot because if it don't feel exactly right, thne I don't shoot. I try to shoot every arrow like it is the only arrow that I will shoot that day.

just the way I do it.

Mav :shade:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, That is just the info i am looking for.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Reasonable Expectations

You asked about reasonable expectations for shooting 10 hours or more every week and what group size that would be expected. However, you failed to ask whether any talent had to be involved and, in that case, since I have no talent at all, I feel free to voice my opinion. In 1968, the year I killed my first elk with a 45 lb. recurve, I could hold a consistent 3 inch group at 20 yards. I am proud to say that after the compound bow became popular and the technological advances that it brought about had come to pass, that I now can hold, fairly consistently, with a state of the art whizbang 330 fps latest thing out, a 3 inch group at 30 yards. I'm sure you'll agree that with the progress that I'm making, in another 37 years or so, I'll be able to hold a 3 inch group at 40 yards. I know that this probably won't impress anybody but the talent issue was discussed at the beginning. I am thinking about practicing a little more than 10 hours a week though as I need to shorten the learning curve as much as possible because it's getting harder to shoot without holding on to my walker.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
group shooting is stupid! you only get one shot if your lucky! What is reasonable to me will not be reasonable for others. I shoot 1 arrow out at 50 yds every 20 minutes. in various twisted, sitting, squatting, leaning positions, i even get top of my suburban for a downward angle twisted shot.

the inbetween time is practicing with my recurve & longbow - now that gets hysterical beyond 20 yds! even using traditional equipment i do not group shoot.

G

·
Zen Archery said:
group shooting is stupid! you only get one shot if your lucky! What is reasonable to me will not be reasonable for others. I shoot 1 arrow out at 50 yds every 20 minutes. in various twisted, sitting, squatting, leaning positions, i even get top of my suburban for a downward angle twisted shot.

the inbetween time is practicing with my recurve & longbow - now that gets hysterical beyond 20 yds! even using traditional equipment i do not group shoot.
With Group Tuning being one of the most important factors in Tuning a bow, how could you say it is stupid ? :confused:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Preacher said:
With Group Tuning being one of the most important factors in Tuning a bow, how could you say it is stupid ? :confused:
It's ok.... Preacher; someone just mistook this post as being about hunting and not serious target shooting...

Sorry guy... but quite a few of us shoot groups even at ranges of 90 meters... Surprisingly it makes us better shots at 20 yards... :D

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I shoot pins out of a Spot Hogg Hogg It.

I shoot arrows that I build to 1 grain difference in the dozen, fletch on the same jig, and check straightness and maintain that at .01"

I shoot a back tension release, not that it should matter. I only practice about 5 hours a week in the summer. 10 hours a week in the winter and spring.

In practice I can honestly shoot a field round clean out to 50 yards. Whatever size that group is, that's what I do. I would say that well over 1/2 my shots are in the X. Once past 50 I am happy with groups that are 1" per 10 yards..ie: 6" groups at 60. Once past 50 yards the lack of using a scope starts to show big time.

I do not worry about group size as I keep score to measure my progress.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Knowing what not to do makes us Better..

If you practice 10hrs a week or more please share your opinion.
Kinda shutting the door on alot of folks don't ya think? I mean..Does that include practicing to practice shoot by way of day or night dreaming or spewing in here or conceptualizing out there and wherever? Practice and thinking don't make you Hardcore nor any Better..(JK) ;)

But anyways, since some weaks I practice that much or more instead of working.... expectations of pulling all my arrows out at one time with fingers touching at 30 yards is about right.(feathers don't always touch).. Add a half inch of finger gap per 10 yards with field tips and about an inch with broadheads...(if you got little fingers then that be yer tuff luck and you must practice more :D ) ..I Don't shoot 20 yards with more then one arrow anymore, too close. I wouldn't know about serious target shooting though. Don't know what those guys expect...

Shooting mid 90's compound release,GtHunters (+-1gr.?) with Blazers ,3-5 hr sessions of mixed shooting(about 100 arrows), no scope..

..High or false expectations can kill ya, focus more on what to kill and you'll stay alive and be Better off.. :cocktail:
..change is life as life is change.. :slice:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the possative feedback.

AKDoug, I have been working on form and holding so my practice sessions have centered around shooting at a 1.5" black circle. In a couple of weeks i will break out some of my practice targets. They are scaled down Vegas and NFAA 5-spot faces.

Javi, what are reasonable expactations for a basic target rig with no lens and off the shelf arrows?

StrungOut, The reason i mentioned the 10hrs is not to shut the door at all. If a person only shoots an hour or so a week it would be tough to determine if it is the shooter or the equipment. I am trying to dettermine what can be expected from the equipment we all love so much.

To All, i am a target shooter and a tournament shooter. Let's claify one thing though, we only get one shot as well but we have to repeat it up to 60 times in a game. Very often if we drop one arrow it's over.

The reason many of us shoot groups is to build consistancy and make our form, shot sequence, and aiming system second nature.

Thanks Again Folks for your input.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Nowadays I shoot only indoors, fingers, 3 times a week, some 8~10 Hs total.

My groups are still inconsistent, from shaft hitting shaft (and 4 RHs in the last couple of months) to some 4" diameter, both at 18m and 25m.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You asked JAVI about expectations with pins and off the shelf arrows. I shoot probably 10-12 hours a week. Most of my shooting is at 40 -50 yards. I use either a Switchback, LX, or Conquest 2 (this one is 20 yards). Fixed pins on all and either Easton Fatboy or Easton X7 arrows. Most of my practice is spent on holding and sight picture. 20 yards I work towards sub 1 1/2" groups and 30-50 yards towards sub 2" groups. I use a Morrell Range Bag with multiple spots cause while robinhoods look great, they get expensive. You can tell on the multiple spots how your group is. Very reasonable depending on your eyesight to shoot near scope groups with fixed pin (quality) sights. You just can't get discouraged when you have a bad day. When I'm having a bad day I go to 1 arrow, walking back & forth or just hang it up for the day. Firing more arrows doesn't guarantee improvement if the mental attitude isn't there.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Target guy - most really experienced target archers wont ever be caught claiming to shoot a certain size group at a given distance. We all vary too much, thats why a complete score is a more accurate measurement of ones ability. Case in point, why is it that I can shoot a 3X 19 on a 30 yd field target and then shoot a 4X 20 at 65? and vise versa? Go to indoor Nationals and shoot a 56X 300 one day (not very good) and then come back the next and shoot a 60X?
I have shot a 6X 60 at 70m in a FITA tournament and also shot a 2X 56 at 70m during the same round. I can keep citing examples but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BowBender,
I really posted this to determine if i am expecting too much from my gear and therefore beating myself up for no reason. I didn't post this as bragging thing or to call anyone out. I am just tyting to determine if i am getting to a point where i need to look at matching my arrows in terms of spine location and weighing them in order to tighten things up any further.

·
Registered
759 Posts
juat remember one thing it does notmatter how long you shoot it is the quality in the shot you can shoot 5 arrows a week perfect as apposed to shooting 100 that are not correct. practice dont make perfect perfect pratice makes perfect

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
WILSONBOWSSTAFF said:
juat remember one thing it does notmatter how long you shoot it is the quality in the shot you can shoot 5 arrows a week perfect as apposed to shooting 100 that are not correct. practice dont make perfect perfect pratice makes perfect

Couldnt have said it better myself. I personally shoot at least 10 hrs a week. My archery mentor practices very little compared to me. He is one of the top shooters in open class in the IBO. Im still a work in progress. Bad habits can form if you shoot when you are tired or if you just fling arrows rather than use a specific sequence. Everyone is different. Quanity is not necessarily quality though.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for clearing that up for me you two :rolleyes:

I put a time out there just to seperate those of us who shoot and work on our shot from those who get the bow out the day before the season opens.

We are reading way tooooooo much into this whole thing at this point....

I was just trying to find an excuse to quit being so hard on myself......

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

I guess it depends on what "Practice" is to the individual. Do you consider shooting a round or at a spot practice, if so, what are you REALLY practicing??? I think practice is more of a step by step process, sometimes without ever releasing an arrow. With so many different things that make up a shot, how can one practice all of them at the same time and really believe the results they are seeing with there groups are based on what "new thing" they just tried in their form. I think you should break down your shot sequence into steps then "PRACTICE" each one over and over, step by step on a bag with your eyes closed-Stance, Grip etc. etc..... I believe that you should spend more time practicing 4 feet from a bag on your release and shoot groups less. Sometimes what people call practice is actually hurting their shooting because they are just shooting and hoping for results.
hope this helps and makes sense :)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Man was i an idiot for thinking this would work out..... The thread i mean :confused:

I basically ask a question about the potential accuracy of an arrow in terms of consistancy and i get a bunch of theories on practicing, groups, the ups and downs of shooting and a pile of other lofty ideas.

Some of you folks should write down all your theories and publish a book....

·
Registered
287 Posts
I suspect shooting real good every practice session adds up to only average preparedness when shooting for real money,pride, or meat...
As for the meat, I'll be first to attest that I have missed a whole deer more then once at 30 someodd yards and just about cut finger off in process once...(You don't want me on the team sir, could be bad for yer health)..
For sure in the target competitions it be more about not beating yerself up than winning over the other person, right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts