Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, i have been building strings for years and im having a hard time building the harness for the AVS system on the Monster, im using 8125 and 3d serving and when i use 18 strands and serve it the part i serve is too thick to set in that ring that attaches to the cable, what is the best way to lay out the harness in a jig and can i drop to 16 strands instead of 18 and still be safe to shoot, i also want to use 8125, not 452, any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
would halo not work a little better or is it thicker than the 3d?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
would halo not work a little better or is it thicker than the 3d?
.014 halo is prolly gonna be the best bet. its smaller than the 3D which is .017 and also will wear alot slower. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.014 halo is prolly gonna be the best bet. its smaller than the 3D which is .017 and also will wear alot slower. :thumbs_up
The guy im building for wants it in red, can i get .014 halo in red and will 16 strands of 8125 hold up ok, the tensile strength is 120 lbs is is higher than 452.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
Yes you can get halo in red.

Personally, I prefer 452x for all my cables, I just did not get the performance out of 8125 that I like.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
8125 will be strong enough, I to perfer 452x for cables and 8125 for the shooting string. the higher tensile strength the more strench there is in the string and the lower the tensile strength the less strech hence being more stable

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8125 will be strong enough, I to perfer 452x for cables and 8125 for the shooting string. the higher tensile strength the more strench there is in the string and the lower the tensile strength the less strech hence being more stable
I have 0 problems with 8125, i prestretch cables and strings and have never had any problems with it as with 3d serving, i agree 452 and halo are quality materials but why change, i have no problems with the material im using, these strings hold up very well.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I have 0 problems with 8125, i prestretch cables and strings and have never had any problems with it as with 3d serving, i agree 452 and halo are quality materials but why change, i have no problems with the material im using, these strings hold up very well.
Your halo will give you a little smaller diameter serving that will help you get it to fit in the groove you need it too.

Using halo will also let you keep 18 strands of 8125 and will keep your strings performing as good as they were before. Dropping down to 16 strands may or may not cause more stretch. I have never personally worked with 8125. So I don't know if dropping 2 strands will make a difference. I would just switch to the halo just incase.

By all means I am not saying dropping to 16 strands and keeping the 3D wont work as well. Im just putting another alternative out there for you. Like I said before switching to halo should deff. allow you to keep 18 strands and still have that fit you need :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I wasnt tring to say you would have problems I was just saying thats how the tensile strengths work if you prestrech then you should see much of anything if any at all.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasnt tring to say you would have problems I was just saying thats how the tensile strengths work if you prestrech then you should see much of anything if any at all.
yeah i know what u mean, this thing is driving me nuts, i built a set today and they came out great, they are just a pain in the butt, have you built a set for the Monster yet?

·
Registered
190 Posts
how many strands does the stock yolk have ? look at a standard split cable 20 strands at the split you have two bundles of 10 at the posts it splits again you only have 5strands going around the posts . a 24 strand cable has 6 strands around posts ..the monster yolk only splits once , even with 14 strands you will have 7 strands going around the avs. around the posts is the weakist link. Ron.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how many strands does the stock yolk have ? look at a standard split cable 20 strands at the split you have two bundles of 10 at the posts it splits again you only have 5strands going around the posts . a 24 strand cable has 6 strands around posts ..the monster yolk only splits once , even with 14 strands you will have 7 strands going around the avs. around the posts is the weakist link. Ron.:darkbeer:
Good point, well i might have to go with 14 strands, did one today with 16, served it and it still wont slide in that ring easy, it looks like Mathew is using 22 strands of 452 in there harness, im not sure if im going to drop down to 14 strands of 8125, looks like ill have to go get some 452 and use it. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts