Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new harness that's more like a rock climbing or saddle style to use. Anyone have suggestions for reasonable priced harness that is just around the legs and has lineman loops as well. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,910 Posts
Go rock climbing and Black Diamond Vario is a great option. I've got an older model I've been using for years and it's perfect for the application.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like great option but doesn't have lineman loops

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,185 Posts
It may be hard to find a rock climbing harness with weight rated linesman loops, as typically rock climbers are not climbing trees and do not need them, they are typically always clipped into the belay loop.

If having dedicated weight rated linesman loops is necessary for you, you may have to check arborist saddles / sites. As was suggested, you may also be able to have some added yourself. Or, you can just clip your linesman into the belay loop.

EDIT Aerohunter (tree saddle company) I believe is owned by New Tribe, which if I'm not mistaken is a company that makes harnesses for recreational tree climbing. They may have some with weight rated linesman loops, however, they may be pricey.

Good luck

·
Registered
26,078 Posts
I wear a Black Diamond Bod RC harness and simply clip caribiners to the main waist belt when using a lineman's rope to install steps and stand.....works for me.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Hard to believe no one made a dedicated hunting harness rock climbing style yet
If anyone were to fall and get hurt they would be sued into prison. Rock climbing harnesses aren't designed for fall protection, they're designed for supporting someone as they're climbing. If OSHA won't approve a waist only fall protection harness, no one can take the risk selling one for tree stand fall protection.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I would love to see somebody come up with one like the black diamond Vario with quick connect leg straps and weight-rated D loops on the hips.
I installed the D loops and with the retainers removed on the leg buckles they are easy to pop on and off. The downside is it’s kind of a mess with the loose straps and buckles. After a bit I returned the buckles back to where they stay attached, it’s much easier and faster on and off.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
If anyone were to fall and get hurt they would be sued into prison. Rock climbing harnesses aren't designed for fall protection, they're designed for supporting someone as they're climbing. If OSHA won't approve a waist only fall protection harness, no one can take the risk selling one for tree stand fall protection.
Have you ever watched rock climbers climb and how many times they fall, they are surely designed for repeated falls.

·
Registered
26,078 Posts
Have you ever watched rock climbers climb and how many times they fall, they are surely designed for repeated falls.
Indeed.....I did gym climbing with a collague many years ago and we both came off the wall a number of times each session. You learn the belay technique so the climber is always supported from the ground by the belay rope.....then go for it. If it wasn't designed to prevent a climber from hitting the ground, it wouldn't be much of a safety device.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Yes, but its a different kind if fall, one where the body is positioned in a particular way.
I obviously can’t say the reason, but as long as only full body restraints are acceptable for fall restraint, it would be beyond foolish for someone to market a rock climbing type harness for hunters. I’m guessing there have been OSHA studies that have determined waist only type restraints aren’t adequate for uncontrolled fall restraint, but thats just my assumption.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
People have actually died from suspension trama in full body harnesses, articles have been posted here a few years ago and there was a death a couple of years ago in my area. I never heard of anyone being sued. A full body harness can be a deadly choice if you pass out and fall or fall and hit your head.
I‘m not going through the pros and cons of both, we do this a few times a year.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agree with 1Canvas. Rock climbing harnesses (RCH) are made for hanging much more than hunters full body Harness. I use my RCH to hang stands all the time and hang so I can use both hands. It is very comfortable and safe.

·
I like elk!
20,011 Posts
No, they’re not.
Climbing harnesses do not support the climber at all, not even a tiny bit, when climbing.
Rock climbing harnesses are all about supporting the fall of the climber.

·
Vendor
26,465 Posts
Yes, but its a different kind if fall, one where the body is positioned in a particular way.
I obviously can’t say the reason, but as long as only full body restraints are acceptable for fall restraint, it would be beyond foolish for someone to market a rock climbing type harness for hunters. I’m guessing there have been OSHA studies that have determined waist only type restraints aren’t adequate for uncontrolled fall restraint, but thats just my assumption.
OSHA approves a full-body harness for the workplace where there are other workers who can help in a rescue. OSHA is not involved in the hunting industry and didn't approve the full-body harness for hunting.
It wouldn't be foolish at all for a company to start marketing a R/C style harness for hunting. Unless said company spent the last 30 years telling everybody that their harness was OSHA approved for hunting. They would look quite foolish at that point.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts