Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
26,464 Posts
No, they’re not.
Climbing harnesses do not support the climber at all, not even a tiny bit, when climbing.
Rock climbing harnesses are all about supporting the fall of the climber.
Spike, for rock climbers you are 100% correct. But for hunting, they can be used for fall protection too. Yesterday as an example, I removed about 20 grade 8 bolts on a tree I put them into about 10 years ago. I simply put my tether up high enough that I could hang by the R/C harness while removing the bolts. While on the stand, I keep the tether tight enough to not be able to fall past the seat. In both cases, it is restraining me as much as a full-body harness. :geek:

·
The Impartial Archer
20,417 Posts
OP you have no entered the RC vs Body harness debate and this will go south...........lol. Bottom line is you have to find what you like and will wear and FORGET about the fall factor and the scares people try to instill in each type. I hated the harnesses and wouldn't wear them because (IMO) they have so many drawbacks.

So if I fell I would have been in bad shape.....right? Now I never go into the tree without a harness and IF I forget it I feel unsafe and hate it. So what changed for me? I got a light weight easy to wear RC style harness which is way better than not wearing one.........no debating that.

Also maybe I'm stating the obvious but maybe not..........lol. You adjust your strap so IF you do fall you only fall about a foot or so you don't have a 20 ft strap and then snap to a dead stop right before you hit the ground............lol

Reactions: thirdhandman

·
I like elk!
20,011 Posts
Spike, for rock climbers you are 100% correct. But for hunting, they can be used for fall protection too. Yesterday as an example, I removed about 20 grade 8 bolts on a tree I put them into about 10 years ago. I simply put my tether up high enough that I could hang by the R/C harness while removing the bolts. While on the stand, I keep the tether tight enough to not be able to fall past the seat. In both cases, it is restraining me as much as a full-body harness. :geek:

I’m fully aware that you can sit back in, or take a fall in a climbing harness.
As a retired climber of 20 years, I’ve taken hundreds of falls.

My post was a direct reply to misinformation about climbers, and their harnesses.
A climbing harness does not support a climber, while they’re climbing.
Meaning, a climber doesn’t get help or assistance from their harness while actually climbing.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Being it’s a “bet your life on it” decision you owe it to yourself to test hang in each while keeping in mind you will need to self rescue in the harness with heavy clothing and boots.
I think the most important decision you could make is purchasing a Treestand Wingman, check out their videos.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would love to see somebody come up with one like the black diamond Vario with quick connect leg straps and weight-rated D loops on the hips.
I’m thinking on buying a saddle just for the linesman loops, maybe Tethrd or Flat branch ,
I am looking for new harness that's more like a rock climbing or saddle style to use. Anyone have suggestions for reasonable priced harness that is just around the legs and has lineman loops as well. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If

If your using it as a saddle that’s fine but using it as a harness and sitting on a seat with it on may be uncomfortable.
Good point, wanted something other than linesman belt to hang stands they tend to ride up on me , plus to saddle with it , have a couple rock climbing harnesses

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Misty Mountain Cadillac Tactical. It’s that simple.

·
Vendor
11,068 Posts
If

If your using it as a saddle that’s fine but using it as a harness and sitting on a seat with it on may be uncomfortable.
I hunted from a tetherd harness this fall and have never been more comfortable. It is much more comfortable than a black diamond vario harness i hunted from for several seasons. Has linemans loops and used them several times hanging sticks and a stand. I simply tied an over hand knot in the bridge and attached to the tree the same as i have for years. You can also take a leak much easier in the saddle harness.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I hunted from a tetherd harness this fall and have never been more comfortable. It is much more comfortable than a black diamond vario harness i hunted from for several seasons. Has linemans loops and used them several times hanging sticks and a stand. I simply tied an over hand knot in the bridge and attached to the tree the same as i have for years. You can also take a leak much easier in the saddle harness.
I’m not sure what you mean by more comfortable, once I have the Vario Speed harness on I don’t even know it’s on. I’ve never had an issue peeing out of one either.
I have never had a saddle on so I know nothing about them. I always wondered about if people can pee out of a saddle though.

·
Vendor
11,068 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean by more comfortable, once I have the Vario Speed harness on I don’t even know it’s on. I’ve never had an issue peeing out of one either.
I have never had a saddle on so I know nothing about them. I always wondered about if people can pee out of a saddle though.
Try one on and you will see. Much more comfortable. I wore the vario for 4 seasons and dumped it this year.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
OSHA approves a full-body harness for the workplace where there are other workers who can help in a rescue. OSHA is not involved in the hunting industry and didn't approve the full-body harness for hunting.
It wouldn't be foolish at all for a company to start marketing a R/C style harness for hunting. Unless said company spent the last 30 years telling everybody that their harness was OSHA approved for hunting. They would look quite foolish at that point.:rolleyes:
yep, tree stand harness makers seem to have just adopted the 5 point harnesses used on job sites without recognizing the difference

for instance, no one in their right mind uses a 5 point fall arrest harness to work under a bridge while by themselves without anyone around and so with the need to self rescue if they were to fall

while hunters are by themselves most of the time

the 5 point harness is painful, cuts off circulation to your legs perhaps fatally, and puts you in a position where your back is to the tree and you are not in an athletic position

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Bettering the last.....
5,973 Posts
dryad has a belt a few guys praise- been following as I am of similar mindset and shipping desires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Impartial Archer
20,417 Posts
do not buy the chinese no name harnesses from amazon that have loops

i think you should just build the loops yourself, but very carefully

don't use the speedy stitcher people advocate unless you use a different needle, the one that comes on it is sharp on the sides and cuts fibers

here's one approach that is extremely strong and safe (redundant system)

But it's safe and what the Gov't & OSHA deem best.......like the Coivd vaccine.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts