Archery Talk Forum banner

Harvested a buck with a low poundage bow Can't be lol

4350 62
Broke out the old Elite Spirit this weekend. I was shooting this bow at 48.6lbs. with a Goldtip Velocity 400 spine with a 50 grain insert, broadhead was a G-5 Striker 100 grains and AAE Max Stealth vanes. Total arrow weight is 405 grains. I know it’s no Boone and Crocket, but I shot this buck at 23 yards quartering away. The arrow went in just above the shoulder and completely passed through the other side on to the ground. Buck only traveled 35 yards and was down for the count. I haven’t shot anything over 50lbs. for the last 12 years. This goes to show a well-placed arrow at low poundage is effective. This bow is only shooting 228 feet per second slow by today’s standards. In my calculations this set up is producing 47 pounds of kinetic energy. With the bows that are coming out for 2023 you could probably shoot a 45lbs. bow and be shooting faster speeds with the same arrow weight. Bottom picture is how I found him laying.
Wood Tree Military camouflage Plant Pollution
Wood Organism Twig Trunk Grass
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
Congrats my 2 50lb bow below fling a 405 gr arrow at 260-265fps and blow through deer.

I looked your bow up and found this funny, no offense though

For Elite's first production at a women's bow, the Spirit is a really well engineered piece of equipment that truly can do it all. The longer brace height and axel-to-axel measurement along with decent speed and a fabulous draw cycle make the Spirit a bow that can be owned for a very long time

no idea why this was tagged as a womens bow, 32 ata with 7 inch BH, as I use to shoot with an 8inch brace and 33 ata

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
Broke out the old Elite Spirit this weekend. I was shooting this bow at 48.6lbs. with a Goldtip Velocity 400 spine with a 50 grain insert, broadhead was a G-5 Striker 100 grains and AAE Max Stealth vanes. Total arrow weight is 405 grains. I know it’s no Boone and Crocket, but I shot this buck at 23 yards quartering away. The arrow went in just above the shoulder and completely passed through the other side on to the ground. Buck only traveled 35 yards and was down for the count. I haven’t shot anything over 50lbs. for the last 12 years. This goes to show a well-placed arrow at low poundage is effective. This bow is only shooting 228 feet per second slow by today’s standards. In my calculations this set up is producing 47 pounds of kinetic energy. With the bows that are coming out for 2023 you could probably shoot a 45lbs. bow and be shooting faster speeds with the same arrow weight. Bottom picture is how I found him laying.
View attachment 7746821 View attachment 7746822
Looks tasty

· Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Congrats my 2 50lb bow below fling a 405 gr arrow at 260-265fps and blow through deer.

I looked your bow up and found this funny, no offense though

For Elite's first production at a women's bow, the Spirit is a really well engineered piece of equipment that truly can do it all. The longer brace height and axel-to-axel measurement along with decent speed and a fabulous draw cycle make the Spirit a bow that can be owned for a very long time

no idea why this was tagged as a womens bow, 32 ata with 7 inch BH, as I use to shoot with an 8inch brace and 33 ata
I don’t know why it was marked that way. It shoots great. I actually have it shooting out to 100 yards accurately the way I have it set up.

· Registered
13,120 Posts
I've taken whitetails with 40 & 45#s. Shot Elk & Bear with 53#s. Oh, Did I mention in the 60s & they were recurves. Arrowed a wide variety of biggame with 55# compounds too. The middle photo was with my 40# 70" Target bow because my hunter broke day b4 season. Double lungs, complete pass thru into the ground at 15 yds as I stood in the crotch of a tree 7' off the ground. Bear was 30 yard pass thru on huge fall Bear (rug 6'4" nose to tail +19" P&Y), 55# Darton SL50 & 3 blade Rocky.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Art
Plant People in nature Branch Wood Tree
Hunting Art Working animal Painting Soil

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
OP what's your DL though? You loaded the post up with nice info but left that out. If you shoot 47 pounds and have a 29 inch draw then that the same as a guy with a 27 shooting 60...........lol.

People always tend to leave that out of the equation. Still I get your point. I went down from 65 to 65 just too see what would happen this year. I did it after I shot an 8pt & doe but I haven't seen anything I want to shoot since the freezer is full.

I have had deer at 5 yards but I hate to shoot a small buck or doe just to see what it does. If the freezer was empty then I'd smoke one.............lol

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
Lol I’ve never seen worse advice for white tails than the trend of shooting 700 grain arrows at small fast animals particularly past 25 yards. It’s amazing how many folks have bought in hook line and sinker.
Just being factual Ashby wasn't talking about hunting whitetails. He was talking about how to get the most penetration out of a bow and IMHO lots of what they say is true. They can't help it if people turn around and think they need that for whitetails.

· Registered
55,396 Posts
View attachment 7746821 View attachment 7746822
Shot placement out trumps poundage and speed. Congrats.

· bow nut
4,729 Posts
Congratulations on the buck. Just curious about your draw legnth? I'm thinking of dropping draw weight next season. I enjoy shooting my kids bow thats set at 40lbs so much. So easy to draw and aim. It's silent too.

· Registered
501 Posts
Yup, I bought 50lb limbs for my remedy this year to help ease into more shooting after shoulder injuries. I hunted with it all season and took two does down with complete pass-through shots. Talk about a pleasure to shoot and easy, smooth draw! I still do physio and work out regularly, I can draw way more than 50lb, but I now shoot without any undo worry about ever-doing it.

· Premium Member
8,853 Posts
I bought 50lb limbs for my remedy this year to help ease into more shooting after shoulder injuries.
For quite a while, I've purchased 50lb limbs for all of my bows. All nine of them. No, I don't sell the 60 or 65lb limbs.
I learned many years ago, that they were effective even with a round wheel cam, when it was that, or stay home. Not sure how many deer I've dropped, in sight, shooting the 50lb'ers, but dozens at least. Stay away from large cut BH's, and shots beyond your talent or available energy. If the angle is bad, wait. Just like hunting with my retired 45lb Grizzly.

· Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OP what's your DL though? You loaded the post up with nice info but left that out. If you shoot 47 pounds and have a 29 inch draw then that the same as a guy with a 27 shooting 60...........lol.

People always tend to leave that out of the equation. Still I get your point. I went down from 65 to 65 just too see what would happen this year. I did it after I shot an 8pt & doe but I haven't seen anything I want to shoot since the freezer is full.

I have had deer at 5 yards but I hate to shoot a small buck or doe just to see what it does. If the freezer was empty then I'd smoke one.............lol
Sir my draw length is 28in. I meant to but that in the original post.

· Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Congratulations on the buck. Just curious about your draw legnth? I'm thinking of dropping draw weight next season. I enjoy shooting my kids bow thats set at 40lbs so much. So easy to draw and aim. It's silent too.
Sir my draw length is 28in. I meant to but that in the original post.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts