Archery Talk Forum banner

Harvested a buck with a low poundage bow Can't be lol

4350 62
Broke out the old Elite Spirit this weekend. I was shooting this bow at 48.6lbs. with a Goldtip Velocity 400 spine with a 50 grain insert, broadhead was a G-5 Striker 100 grains and AAE Max Stealth vanes. Total arrow weight is 405 grains. I know it’s no Boone and Crocket, but I shot this buck at 23 yards quartering away. The arrow went in just above the shoulder and completely passed through the other side on to the ground. Buck only traveled 35 yards and was down for the count. I haven’t shot anything over 50lbs. for the last 12 years. This goes to show a well-placed arrow at low poundage is effective. This bow is only shooting 228 feet per second slow by today’s standards. In my calculations this set up is producing 47 pounds of kinetic energy. With the bows that are coming out for 2023 you could probably shoot a 45lbs. bow and be shooting faster speeds with the same arrow weight. Bottom picture is how I found him laying.
Wood Tree Military camouflage Plant Pollution
Wood Organism Twig Trunk Grass
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
3,899 Posts
With a nice 2 blade head and a decent weight arrow id bet #35 would pass through with not much issue on a good shot.

I shot a small deer with a #39lb recurve and a 400 grain arrow this fall. I used a 2 blade zwickey and the far leg stopped it.

I just bought my dad a 40-50 and with his 29" draw im not a bit worried about him hunting with a bow in the low 40's.

· Registered
698 Posts
Just being factual Ashby wasn't talking about hunting whitetails. He was talking about how to get the most penetration out of a bow and IMHO lots of what they say is true. They can't help it if people turn around and think they need that for whitetails.
He was also talking about trad bows with far less efficiency than todays compound bows, yet his work is constantly taken out of context and applied to modern high efficiency compounds. When you keep adding arrow weight with an average draw weight trad bow, KE continues to rise proportionally, even with extremely heavy arrows. More weight equals more KE, equals more penetration. With high efficiency compounds, KE essentially plateaus at a certain arrow weight and adding more weight produces very little additional KE. The point of severely diminishing returns. Ashbys studies are applicable to trad hunting African big game, but little more.

· Registered
87 Posts
Broke out the old Elite Spirit this weekend. I was shooting this bow at 48.6lbs. with a Goldtip Velocity 400 spine with a 50 grain insert, broadhead was a G-5 Striker 100 grains and AAE Max Stealth vanes. Total arrow weight is 405 grains. I know it’s no Boone and Crocket, but I shot this buck at 23 yards quartering away. The arrow went in just above the shoulder and completely passed through the other side on to the ground. Buck only traveled 35 yards and was down for the count. I haven’t shot anything over 50lbs. for the last 12 years. This goes to show a well-placed arrow at low poundage is effective. This bow is only shooting 228 feet per second slow by today’s standards. In my calculations this set up is producing 47 pounds of kinetic energy. With the bows that are coming out for 2023 you could probably shoot a 45lbs. bow and be shooting faster speeds with the same arrow weight. Bottom picture is how I found him laying.
View attachment 7746821 View attachment 7746822
Great Job. All kinds of guys ( and gals) out there harvesting deer with 35 -45# bows. At 10-15 yards 180 fps and a razor sharp broadhead with drop the largest buck.

· Registered
3,899 Posts
Unless you are hunting just monster 280 to 300lb bucks and wanting to take shots that the angle is less than perfect or your trying to blow through bones that you have no business blowing through or utilizing very large mechanicals that cant maintain their integrity, what people generally shoot at whitetail deer is way overkill.

Now thats a run on sentence for ya.:)

· Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Great shot. I didn't have as good of results with my G5 Striker X this year. The blades are too flimsy, or maybe they perform better with a lower poundage bow. Now you've got me thinking 🤔
I'm using the original Striker. I tried the Striker X last year they worked but I didn't like them as well.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts