Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an AZ EZ fletch mini to do my arrows and it works great. I purchased separate arms to do other arrows with a straight fletch for a hostage rest and am having trouble taking the pins out to change the arms. Has anyone here done this, and if so, what methods have worked for you. I could struggle them out, but dont want to injure my jig.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just bought the mini arms for mine and removed the long arm's with steady pressure from a punch. Support the arm the best you can.the pins are tight and the plastic is thin and will break very easy..good luck and take your time and they will come out. Oh yeah I pushed the pin out enough to grab with pliers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i will try that. My main concern was bending or breaking the arms from pushing on them. Guess I just gotta be gentle.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just bought the mini arms for mine and removed the long arm's with steady pressure from a punch. Support the arm the best you can.the pins are tight and the plastic is thin and will break very easy..good luck and take your time and they will come out. Oh yeah I pushed the pin out enough to grab with pliers.

Can't the long arms do 2" vanes? Why would you need to get the mini arms? (Just curious, I'm thinking about getting one and was going to get the long arms for the reason of being able to do long and short vanes)

-Masta

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
You can definitely use the long arms to fletch the blazer type fletchings, the long arms come in 6 degree rt helical, and straight offset is 1 degree. Although I have extra arms for it, I found it to be easier to just buy another jig rather than risk breaking arms changing them out

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I bought the mini before I decided I would be doing another set of arrows with a different fletching on them. The long ones will do the 2" but the mini does a way more dramatic helical. I got the arms off and the new arms on. It went pretty good, and I think once the arms get traded out a few times it will get easier. The plus is that the arms are cheaper than a separate jig. But too each their own. Just my two cents on the whole deal.

Anyway, thanks again for the initial help with my question.

I am very pleased with this product.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've always used the long arms on Blazers without a problem. I would like to know how much more helical do the short arms put on the shaft vs. the long arms?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've always used the long arms on Blazers without a problem. I would like to know how much more helical do the short arms put on the shaft vs. the long arms?
I don't know about the long arms, But I just bought a E-Z Flecth Mini and it puts a pretty hefty helical on the 2" vanes..

-Masta

·
Registered
232 Posts
To those that own the long arms helical, does it put any helical on the 2" vanes? Or is it more of a 1-2 degree offset because the vanes are soo short?

-Masta

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are shots of one of my arrows I did with the mini arms. I only have the minis and the long straight arms, so I can't really compare the mini to the long length helical arms.

but anyway, this kinda shows what the mini does.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here are shots of one of my arrows I did with the mini arms. I only have the minis and the long straight arms, so I can't really compare the mini to the long length helical arms.

but anyway, this kinda shows what the mini does.
They say the straight arms put a 1 degree offset, can you even notice the offset with those?

I think factory installed vanes are what? 2-3 degrees?

I talk to people at the big box stores and they tell me that helical is old school and no one uses it any more. I come on here and it appears that a vast majority of people use a helical.

Obviously factory installed vanes are all straight for 100% compatibility, but one would think that there would be some available with helical, yet I haven't seen any..

-Masta

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
To those that own the long arms helical, does it put any helical on the 2" vanes? Or is it more of a 1-2 degree offset because the vanes are soo short?

-Masta
My long arms are right helical but it's kinda like you said, maybe a few degrees, I don't know for sure. They certainly look helical but they don't look nearly as aggressive as belair's in the above photo's. I think I like the short arms. May have to try them out now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My long arms are right helical but it's kinda like you said, maybe a few degrees, I don't know for sure. They certainly look helical but they don't look nearly as aggressive as belair's in the above photo's. I think I like the short arms. May have to try them out now.
I just bought the Mini and fletched 2 arrows with Fusion 2" vanes, and they too looked just like belair's. Maybe you can post a couple of pic's of yours?

I've read soo much about people using too much glue, I don't think I was using enough. But it was my first time fletching, so I guess i'll get better with some time.

I am going to buy a set of long arms so that I can use some different vanes, but I have to decide on weather to get the Helical or straight arms.

-Masta

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Long arms...

Pic of Blazers installed with the longer arms, right helical...

Dang, when I previewed my post I realized how bad the pic turned out. The flash messed it up. Anyhow, you can still see the helical isn't nearly as aggressive as the short arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
i Know this is an old thread but i wraped tape around all three arms to make it stronger, then took a small screw driver to push out the pins so i could grab them with niddle nose plirs. worked great

1 - 19 of 19 Posts