Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews atlas, Axcel achieve xp sight, UV3 scope 2x, hamskea trinity, too many releases
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always been curious who, what, when and how these Chinese manufacturers get the CAD to make American designed products, like the Stan Onnex, Truball blade or the Carter just Cuz/Target 3. Is it from prototyping impropriety?Is it possible that the machining of these products is done in China only to be sent to the US for anodizing and assembly? I’m curious if there’s anyone in the know about such issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Does not have to be a cad file. Buy one and its not hard to reverse engineer it. Hell some times they do it just from pictures.

A few years back I produced a run of a product for another one of my hobbies. I sent out some prototypes to some youtubers. I had it set up so they could not talk about it until a certain date/time. Well that day and time came, they released videos to the world. 4 days later, before I had shipped a single unit, some one sent me a link to allibabba with a knock off. Some of the pictures they had were mine ( with my water mark no less)from the website I made to sell them.

I knew it would happen, just did not expect it so soon. Any ways sold my entire 5000 production run and sold the design to a big company in that industry. Funny thing, I only built it because the industry pissed me off that no one made simple changes to existing products to make them more adjustable.

·
Registered
Mathews atlas, Axcel achieve xp sight, UV3 scope 2x, hamskea trinity, too many releases
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not have to be a cad file. Buy one and its not hard to reverse engineer it. Hell some times they do it just from pictures.

A few years back I produced a run of a product for another one of my hobbies. I sent out some prototypes to some youtubers. I had it set up so they could not talk about it until a certain date/time. Well that day and time came, they released videos to the world. 4 days later, before I had shipped a single unit, some one sent me a link to allibabba with a knock off. Some of the pictures they had were mine ( with my water mark no less)from the website I made to sell them.

I knew it would happen, just did not expect it so soon. Any ways sold my entire 5000 production run and sold the design to a big company in that industry. Funny thing, I only built it because the industry pissed me off that no one made simple changes to existing products to make them more adjustable.
I'm sorry that happened to you TG but I really appreciate you sharing you're experience. You're probably right, I guess it was naive of me thinking they'd need anything more than a good photo and some know-how to make a convincing clone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts