Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so how was it and is it heavily pressured? Where are some areas to look for good tree stand hunting? Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Lot of various types of terrain throughout the state. Good amount if public land and some don't have hardly any bow pressure. Find small towns and do some satellite scouting to find good river funnels and other natural corridors. Did that last year and got this guy all public DIY

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
General area of the state? I started a thread asking about the western area (pine ridge to be exact) and most made it sound like the deer herd was all but extinct from ehd. haha

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ya ehd hit really hard. The hunting isn't easy that's for certain. That deer was taken from the northeastern part of the state

·
Registered
399 Posts
I live in the Pine Ridge area. The fires in '06 and '12 wiped out a lot of the public land timber. EHD hit us hard in '12 and '13. Public land in this part of the state that didn't burn has fair numbers of deer but has lots of pressure. If you hunt up here it would be best to hit it as early as possible, Sept. 15th is the opener.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually, they changed the opening archery date to September 1st this year. We get a couple of more weeks this year!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually looking at the North Central or the South Central part of Nebraska? If these are not the greatest areas please let me know! I may even try and hunt the south eastern part of the state on some public land, but I have only just looked at WMA's. All and any information helps me out a ton. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Tons of whitetail along North and South Platte Rivers in the cottonwoods from Ogalalla to Kearny.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ehd is funny...it really affects pockets of deer. 2 guys can hunt same county miles apart and have completely different results. I hunted he public for 3 days last year...killled a buck I would guess at 5 yrs old. And saw deer every sit. Only pressure I saw was from weekend bird hunters. Some of the habitat on public land is amazing. Cover food water...they have it all.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Lot of various types of terrain throughout the state. Good amount if public land and some don't have hardly any bow pressure. Find small towns and do some satellite scouting to find good river funnels and other natural corridors. Did that last year and got this guy all public DIY
Great buck by the way..is that a droptine?

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
I've literally hunted public land in NE my whole life. When I started bow hunting, my and my hunting buddy would be the only ones in the woods most of the season. Hunting after rifle season is very tough. The deer go nocturnal until late December. The bow pressure has increased quite a bit especially now that crossbows are legal for anyone during the entire bow season. I did my undergrad in Kearney and hunted some of the public land on the North Platte river and it gets a lot of pressure. You may find little pockets here and there that don't get a lot of human activity but it would take a lot of walking and that's if you're really lucky. The land along the river is pretty much bought up for deer and waterfowl hunting and it takes a lot of cash to get permission.

People aren't kidding about the EHD from the past 2 years. It killed a ton of deer where I hunt. I didn't even bother going back this last year because of it. WMAs are a great place to look for but you should also get a CRP map. CRP is a program that farmers use and it puts their land in CRP grass for upland game bird habitat. A lot of times you can find little ponds in a big CRP field and some trees to hunt. They don't get near as much pressure until pheasant season opens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts