Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you hit the shoulder blade with a Sonic? How did it hold up? How did it penetrate? Pics appreciated, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Curled Blades/Bent Ferrule

I hit a large Muley doe in the shoulder bone, not the scapula. The shoulder exploded but the arrow did not pass through (20 yards, Ultratech at 63lbs.) The good new is she ran off a cliff, collapsed mid air, then broke her neck when she landed. I have pix of the BH damage and the bones that I mean't to post but never got around to it. The blades curled and the ferrule was bent. The good news is it did it's job. The bad news is penetration. I believe she would have still died if she didn't break her neck but who knows how long it would have taken.

I want a BH for both Muleys and Elk so I decided to switch to ST's and/or Magnus SS Snuffers for all my future hunts. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont use them

i i have found that usihng sonic broad heads = major problem when trying to hit vidals.... even muzzy broadheads break minimal bone but do not spray blood like wanted. if i had to pick a broad head that you could shoot all game with and would be able to have a error shot and still bleed the deer out and find her.. i would shoot Hypershocks... the think is with a sonice head sure they are great for the cut and the first slice.... but what happens when you hit a rib?? it is all over.... shoot a good bone breaking tip... with good blades... even crims and tallons..... nice broad head.. i have lost many dear shooting sonics and muzzy heads.... good and bad shots... but i have man good and bad shoots with the talions and the hypershocks and have found everydear with no problem because of the blood trail was so massave... spend the moeny now do you wont have to spend double the amout later!!
good lck with your decision...

·
Bow Bender
6,319 Posts
I was on the ground going in to hunt when a nice 6 point came up the trail towards me. He got about thirty yards quartered to me. I shot trying to avoid that shoulder bone bit I ended up hitting it absolutely square in the joint. It split the joint in three places, and continued into the deer far enough to hit the top of the heart, penetrating about 1" into the heart. He ran 20 yards and piled up. I did not get a pass through of course, and the deer was dead in short order. But the head was absolutely toast. Blade bent and curled around, and the ferrule beyond hope.

I have shot these heads into dirt, and it was sort of like having popcorn on the end of my shaft. Every time I shot one if I didn't shoot it into something soft like a Block target, they would crunch and I would have to throw them away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts