Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some of your designs on DIY hang on stands or any other gear. Shows us your stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have and still do. From what I've seen I decided not to post them on here tho. Some people don't like it and like to talk trash but if you p.m. me your email I'll gladly send you pictures. 4 hand ons cost about 50 bucks.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
here is a picture of the ones I built. I built 5 of them about 25 years ago and I still use all of them. I've had to replace the plywood now and then but everything else is solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
here is a picture of the ones I built. I built 5 of them about 25 years ago and I still use all of them. I've had to replace the plywood now and then but everything else is solid.
That's almost exactly like some I've built. I did some experimenting 2 years ago and built the hole thing from plywood and I actually prefer the ply wood. The trick is how you build it. I'll post pics later

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd be terrified to sit in any hang on stand I built lol

·
Making it REIGN
3,794 Posts
I tried making one awhile back out of 2x4 and ply wood. didn't feel safe at all. Ended up getting burnt

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I applaud the DIY effort......BUT.....you are needlessly risking your own safety by making them yourself. They can be had for under $50 bucks regularly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I applaud the DIY effort......BUT.....you are needlessly risking your own safety by making them yourself. They can be had for under $50 bucks regularly.
I feel much safer on something I built than something God knows who ( possibly little Chinese guy or crack head maybe?) Built. not saying you should build your own stuff but just the way I look at it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hogwash..... you think because they're made on an assembly line that they're safer?? lol At least when I build mine I know I'm going to have plenty of room on the platform and they are rock solid. I'll take a pic of one of mine tomorrow

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tag to follow

·
Registered
726 Posts
i make some myself .heres some pics and some measurements. i cant find all my pictures but should give a good idea

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Here's a couple pics of mine. The way mine go up is, a piece of angle iron cut in a "L" shape with a hole drilled into each end. The L gets lag bolted to the tree and then, you can see a large bolt at the top of my stand, that slips down into the other part of the L. Then, about midway down my stand, where you see that cross support, is another hole drilled and a long lag bolt gets put through there into the tree. The part my wife and I really like about my stands is that the platform is 32" x 30" giving you lots of room. I would like to add foot rests to them though.

I like your design too Munch!!

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I am so sick of these kinds of comments!!!!! Just because you don't have the skills to do something please don't assume others are like you. Many of us who frequent this forum are more capable of designing and build a nice tree stand and other gear than the companies who produce the. The companies produce them to make $$$$$ so they will go the cheapest route they can and still pass QC. When we build for our own use we build using the best materials and methods we can figure out.

I plan to buy a pretty expensive welding system in the spring just for making my own stands.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I am so sick of these kinds of comments!!!!! Just because you don't have the skills to do something please don't assume others are like you.
SLOW YOUR ROLL, BUDDY!

I didn't insult anyone....I gave my honest opinion to OP.

·
Registered
831 Posts

its his life,so if he wants to "risk it" then let him do it.Just remember all of the stuff you ,he and I buy are all made from a human.So why is it bad that he makes it and not some other human.I know the stands I have welded up before are more solid than any of the 50 dollar POS they sell in any of the sale mags I get.My problem is once I build the stand I want I almost have more money in that stand as I would a higher quality stand.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I'm sure that there are a handful of "engineering-types" that can weld properly etc...and that's all fine and dandy.

BUT, I would imagine a lot of people that are considering making a homemade stand...having very little(if any) experience with welding and/or structural strength issues etc.

For those who have the expertise to build a "proper" stand....go for it.

It's the people who would slap together a homemade stand because they are cheapskates...that worry me. They are ones who are more likely to slap together a tree stand with whatever materials they have laying around...without much thought regarding structural integrity etc.

Carry on.....

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I would love to show you some of the hang on stands I built years ago but they are all at my camp 400 miles away. I build all kinds. I have one that doubles as a backpack frame. I built it using I guess a cam theory. It's just a platform. You climb up, wrap the chain around, pull down and cam it over. I used to hunt all over the place with that thing. I had nothing to sit on but I could watch both sides of a ridge any time and any place I wanted.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Oh and it will cost you more to build a stand than you can buy a crapper for. Do it out of personal preference. Not because you are cheap.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
actually my stands cost next to nothing for me to make because a local store lets me have all of their scrap metal, wood, etc., so I keep the square tubing, plywood (for platform) etc and build from that. Make my own camera arms, EZ Bow hangers and everything

1 - 20 of 48 Posts