Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded a guy for my drop away for this octane hostage rest....just wondering if anyone has tried it. If not please don't post. Thanks!

· Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,967 Posts
I have the original Hostage rest actually the Catawba version and the Octane Hostage Pro rest...
I like them both but, the bristles seem to wear a lil too much. Both are very easy to tune and setup though.
I heard Bowtech has newer replacement brushes for them that will last longer, I need to look into getting some.

· Registered
264 Posts
I really like the Hostage and Hostage Pro for hunting. The brushes do wear if you are shooting a lot, so I prefer a Trophy Taker drop away or lizard tongue in the summer. I get great arrow flight with the Hostage rests, I also like that they "capture" the arrow, and they are quieter than a drop away. Great hunting rest IMO.

· Registered
577 Posts
Hostage on tomkat

Had one on mine and found the brushes did wear pretty quick. However you are shooting at 50 lb and could use a conisderably lighter arrow which will probably wear less on the brushes and last a bit longer than others at heavier weights. On the up side it is too easy to set up. Good luck.

· Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
I have Hostage (non Pro) rests on all of my bows as well as on my wife's and son's bow.

Using the current variant of brushes, 1200-1400 shots are the average lifespan for the bottom brush. The other brushes may/may not wear down depending on the diameter of the arrows you shoot.

The other brushes (left/right side) generally last far longer.

I've put 1400 shots on my Hostage equipped Ross Carnivore and noticed the shot location shifted. If I shot my Easton N-Fused arrows exclusively, it would have lasted more, but I also shoot a lot of XX75 Gamegetters, which have a larger diameter and wore the brushes down a ton.

At 9 dollars for a set of 3 replacement brushes, you'll get 3600 shots out of a set of 3 brushes if you rotate them before replacing the bottom brush totally.

I like the setup.

-Steve

· Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Hostage (non Pro) rests on all of my bows as well as on my wife's and son's bow.

Using the current variant of brushes, 1200-1400 shots are the average lifespan for the bottom brush. The other brushes may/may not wear down depending on the diameter of the arrows you shoot.

The other brushes (left/right side) generally last far longer.

I've put 1400 shots on my Hostage equipped Ross Carnivore and noticed the shot location shifted. If I shot my Easton N-Fused arrows exclusively, it would have lasted more, but I also shoot a lot of XX75 Gamegetters, which have a larger diameter and wore the brushes down a ton.

At 9 dollars for a set of 3 replacement brushes, you'll get 3600 shots out of a set of 3 brushes if you rotate them before replacing the bottom brush totally.

I like the setup.

-Steve
thanks! thats what the guy who traded with me told me....just rotate them cause the top two don't show wear

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I tried it for a little while but went back to a drop away. I thought it was ok but I like the Qad Ultra rest better.
For me, same thing... they are fine for younger archers or people not wanting the ill effects of a Whisker B... but I really prefer a drop-away - specifically QAD.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
If you look closely, it looks like this guys using a Hostage rest so I don't think accuracy suffers to much with a containment type rest. I like them, their great for hunting. As has been said, the brushes do wear pretty fast but the replacements are cheap, you can rotate brushes 120 degrees and it's worth it to me. To me, the containment type drop aways are a pain in the rear to load, but it's personal preference really.

· Registered
102 Posts
I use the Hostage Pro, no problems here. When I bought it I was told to change the bottom brush every 1200 shots. The brushes are cheap, and it is money well spent! I think its a lot better than the WB.

· Registered
37,229 Posts
I used the Hostage pro last year for hunting and it was very accurate. The bottom brush did wear quickly but the newer pro's have a black bottom brush instead of the red brush. It is said to hold up longer.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Tried them both. Like the Pro model better but didnt like how my axis shafts if bumped would fall between the brushes and it would make a nice clank sound. I stuck with the old reliable whiskerbisquit until going to a dropaway.

· Registered
27 Posts
i just bought a hostage pro for my bow this week. the dealer replaced the whiskers right there and put hog hare brushes(?) in its place. he said the replacements last a lot longer. who knows...

· Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
The brush itself is not adjustable. The brush just sits there in it's U shaped cradle and is held down with a hex head screw.

To adjust the Hostage, you have two set screws. One adjusts the elevation (up/down), the other adjusts windage (right/left). Adjust both until the arrow is square with relation to the bow string, then tighten both down.

Once it's set, you will notice that when your shot pattern goes wonky, you replace the brush. 99% of the time, you replace the bottom one.

I rotate around the three brushes. On my Ross, I've rotated the two side ones already into the bottom one. On my Razor Edge, I've yet to do that.

· Registered
300 Posts
I had one and it wasn't a bad rest by any means but I got tired of the brushes wearing out so I switched to the QAD dropaway since it's a drop away with full containment and I am even more happier now because my groups are way more consistant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.