Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to making a choice on my first riser purchase. The Sebastin Flute fits my budget but I'm wondering if anyone has actual experience with it? The ad copy reads that it's simalar to the Yahama design. Is this a good thing? Any feedback.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sagi thread on SF risers

Sagittarius has a thread on the SF, though the topic wanders a bit off topic. I have the SF carbon limbs, which seem to be good, though I didn't get a chance to try them back to back with my W&W Syngergy carbon matirx which broke on me. I stalled, then bought from AltServices a month later. Not as smooth, I think. (Check their sale/specials section where I think the price is even lower).
Check the thread at: http://sagittarius.student.utwente.nl/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2233&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

·
Registered
52 Posts
Canjapan2003 said:
I'm getting close to making a choice on my first riser purchase. The Sebastin Flute fits my budget but I'm wondering if anyone has actual experience with it? The ad copy reads that it's simalar to the Yahama design. Is this a good thing? Any feedback.
Any special reason why you'd want a forged riser, when you can get a CNC alu riser at a similar price? I got one some months ago, upgrading from a Striker and everyone I'd talked to would choose an alu riser over a forged one, so unless you like the design of the SF better .... why not go Merlin ?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
xxxxshooter said:
Any special reason why you'd want a forged riser, when you can get a CNC alu riser at a similar price? I got one some months ago, upgrading from a Striker and everyone I'd talked to would choose an alu riser over a forged one, so unless you like the design of the SF better .... why not go Merlin ?
The SF is an aluminum riser. The forging process was something that Yamaha and later on W&W has worked on with some of their risers like the WinAct. It doesn't make it any less shootable than a CNC machined riser. In fact they look at forging as a feature, not a drawback.

Personally the SF is something I've been very interested in since it came out, eventually I think I'll pick one up since I like the idea of very light riser that shoots similar to the Yamaha SuperFeel.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hkim823 said:
The SF is an aluminum riser. The forging process was something that Yamaha and later on W&W has worked on with some of their risers like the WinAct. It doesn't make it any less shootable than a CNC machined riser. In fact they look at forging as a feature, not a drawback.

Personally the SF is something I've been very interested in since it came out, eventually I think I'll pick one up since I like the idea of very light riser that shoots similar to the Yamaha SuperFeel.
I agree. With my limited knowledge of metal working I believe that forging a piece of metal in to shape rather than simply cutting it would allow better granular alignment of the metal. With CNC billet you can't see what might be below the surface.

As I understand it the riser is made by W&W for SF archery. I suspect that the SF riser is a Winact. Both of which are described as being forged risers finished by CNC machining on the Alternative web site.

A winact riser for a few bucks less sounds good to me. Also nobody here in Japan has one so I'll be a hero for a few days at the range :)

Well I think I have decided on what I want. Now, how to get it past the Mrs. :embara:

·
Registered
52 Posts
It all depends on the aluminium quality - if the riser is made out of aircraft grade aluminium (such as Hoyt and Merlin), you know exactly whats below the surface - namely the same thing all the way through.

Can't say what the forge process brings to the table, but it doesn't sound good :confused:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Canjapan2003 said:
A winact riser for a few bucks less sounds good to me. Also nobody here in Japan has one so I'll be a hero for a few days at the range :)
I've owned the original WinAct and loved it tremendously. It was quite the shooter to say the least.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am shooting one since this February. I bought it, packaged with SF's SHC carbon foam limbs(~$500 USD to my door!). I bought it because it's a good value. It's my first takedown(other bow is an +40yr Hoyt Pro Medalist #25).
Just shot my first FITA (PacCoast Championship)with it. At #[email protected]" and using Cartel Triples, I was able to make 90M. Hit some 10's too! Not bad for just having start shoot at that distance for ~1mo.

Seems several, more experienced archers there said it reminds them very much of Yamaha SuperForge riser. When told of the price, all agreed it is a good value.

In short, I like my Sebastien Flutie SF riser and SHC limbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts