Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever walked up to a deer to make sure its dead and it ends up not being dead? If so what happened? I see it alot on hunting shows and stuff and always wondered if that ever happened

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Had a friend walk up to a 9 point he thought was dead... Had an orange ribbon marker wrapped around the tree it was next to... He got within feet of it and decided something was wrong.. clicked the safety off the shotgun, at the click the buck woke up from his mid day nap and as he tried to bound off got shot... LOL

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
walked up on a doe after dark so i nudged her with my foot and she flipped her head over so i gave her a little kick in the ass to see if she would get up when i went to break her neck, well she got up ran at my friend who was holding a light and hit a tree and was down again so we had a little excitement added to our night when that happened finished her off by breaking her neck anyways. Had to move quick though, i dont reccomend the breaking neck method harder than you would think.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My neighbor shoot a deer several years ago with a 3" slug, aiming for the neck. When he walked up to the deer, he poked it with his shotgun and it didn't move. Then, when he looked at the face, he noticed the deer's eyes were closed. He had heard many years earlier that if they eyes were closed, the deer may still be alive. He took his knife, cut the esophagus, and the deer bayed it's last breath.

When we all met up back at the trucks, we found that his bullet had heavily grazed the side of the deer's head, knocking it out, but not killing it.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im still waiting for the day on a hunt show or even someone I know to walk up to one thats not all the way dead and scare the crap out of them or get kicked or something. That would be hilarious

·
Registered
808 Posts
My granpaw shot one once an when he walked up behind it jumped up an tried to take off so he hooked his finger in its butt an it was dragging him. My brother was with him so he hooked his finger in granpaws belt loop and it was dragging them both. My uncle saw this an run an hooked his finger in my brothers suspenders. Last time i saw them they were going around the end of the corn feild over the barb wire fence .

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
i shot a doe a few years ago through both shoulders with a 30-06. she ran behind a rise and i lost sight of her. an hour later i go down to start tracking, after about 60 yards i see her on the field edge. as i walked up to her, she picked her head up. had to finish her off with the 10mm glock. i still can't believe she took an -06 round through both shoulders and lived an hour plus after the shot. the 10mm through the neck put her down instantly though.

a guy i hunt with shot a doe with a 45-70 govt. double lung at 40 yards. waited an hour and went to go get her. she jumped up and ran... he never found her.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
This one here is %100 true... everyone i work with knows im a huge hunter, so one day last fall im arriving to work and one of the welders in the shop comes into the office and telsl me you have to go talk to Joe in welding. You wont believe me if i tell you. So i head out to the shop to talk to this guy. This is the biker type guy, and pretty rough around the edges. So i get near him and yell out his name, He turns to me and right between the eyes and onto his forehead is a PERFECT DOE TRACT!!!!!!! Turns out on his way to work that AM he hit a doe with his truck. Thinking this would make a good meal he loads the doe in his truck. He goes to shut the gate at the Doe comes alive and kicks him square between the eyes!!!... this guy could have pry kicked my *** but i couldn't even look at him i was laughing so damned hard... they had to send him to the DR before lunch break because he was feeling ill... he ended up having a concussion. If i didnt think he would have laid me out i was have snapped a pic...

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Yeah I shot a small buck years ago with a .270 dropped him in his tracks. I went over to him and kicked him in the butt, deer stood up looked at me and ran. I was going to grab the small rack before kicking him, this could have been bad for me. Lesson learned I now make sure there dead.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I shot a buck with an arrow and it was a good hit, tracked the blood trail and found my buck. I layed all my stuff down and went to grab the leg to start gutting it, well he still had enough life in him to kick me with the other leg. It hurt as it caught me across the knuckles, sorry its not a great big story but yeah it happens and when it does it will scare the shat out of ya! LOL

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I arrowed a turkey one time after that I waited 15min or so and he had done his wing beat and was done, filled my tag out, grabbed his leg, and he ran off! Never found him! There I sat with a filled out turkey tag and no turkey.....

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I arrowed a turkey one time after that I waited 15min or so and he had done his wing beat and was done, filled my tag out, grabbed his leg, and he ran off! Never found him! There I sat with a filled out turkey tag and no turkey.....
lmao! what'd you do with the tag?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quite a few years ago, my brother and I tracked a four pointer he shot for about two hundred yards. We found it, as I was shaking his hand, it jumped up and ran another three hundred yards. It took another three hours before he got to tag it.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
my uncle thought the deer was dead he nudged it with his foot and didnt move. So he started to gut the buck and when the knife went into the skin the buck spazzed and he got kicked right in the center of his chest. got the wind knocked out of him for 15 minutes

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Quite a few years ago, my brother and I tracked a four pointer he shot for about two hundred yards. We found it, as I was shaking his hand, it jumped up and ran another three hundred yards. It took another three hours before he got to tag it.
that is too funny!!;)

·
Whitetails!!!
1,575 Posts
I shot a muley buck in the neck with a rifle, a few minutes later me and a buddy got to him and he was laying there with a huge hole in his neck and a big puddle of blood. We poked him and he didn't do anything so my buddy lifted up his head to look at the rack and layed him back down and I grabbed his horns and lifted up his head to look and the buck stood up with me holding on to his antler. He tried to trot off and i put another shot in him at about 10 ft.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Didn't know deer bite,but now I do.:angry:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts