Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been shooting for about 3 months give or take and i am continuously tweaking things trying to improve accuracy. I know im wearing a sweatshirt so it might be hard to see but can anybody spot anything off about my form? My groups are about moa at 20 yards, but at 30 they really open up and i cant figure it out. I assume its a form flaw. Thanks in advance. Also, sorry about the pictures being sideways... tried my best to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
No expert but based on where the nock is in relation to your eye, your dl is close. Maybe a touch long. But the one thing that stands out is that you are leaning way back. It's like you are compensating for holding the bow by swinging your hips forward. Your whole body should be centered top to bottom. Try centering yourself up maybe by changing weight distribution on your legs. It will feel like you are leaning forward but may be better balanced

That said I'm sure someone will jump in with much better advice than myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Not form related but you might want to tie the drop away cord a little loser to the end of the limb. I always try to stay just a couple of inches in but yours looks a good distance away from the limb tip. I could be wrong but it might give you timing issues.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
People see leaning back and they automatically assume too long of draw length and that’s not always the case. Your bow should is collapsing back towards your spine. I actually believe you’re too short, and with that bow, it’s easy to set the bow 1/2” longer, so I would try that.

Also, as someone has already pointed out, your weight distribution is poor. Stand up straight and proud. Your hips are shifting forwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks guys. I’ll try to stand more upright and shoot tomorrow. Now that I’m looking at it, I’m leaning wayyy back there. I almost feel like the draw is too short but I wanted a second opinion.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Im seeing a scrunched up bow shoulder and a slight elbow bend

Looks short to me

I am unclear how or if leaning back coincides with draw length

But if you flattened your bowside shoulder and straightened your arm your would need to lengthen the draw 1/2 inch maybe more

To me you are doing a good job of fitting yourself to the bow
Make the bow fit you

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im seeing a scrunched up bow shoulder and a slight elbow bend

Looks short to me

I am unclear how or if leaning back coincides with draw length

But if you flattened your bowside shoulder and straightened your arm your would need to lengthen the draw 1/2 inch maybe more

To me you are doing a good job of fitting yourself to the bow
Make the bow fit you
Could the short ata on this bow affect my dl? If I went to a pro defiant 34 would it shorten the dl?

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Have worked on this a lot the last year
I started with a 29.5 inch draw looking a lot like you
Currently shooting 30.5 with both my bows
One is 35 ata
One is 40 Ish not 100%

D203FAF1-D393-4192-B489-EFE73E68C9D8.jpeg

I’m not perfect by any means but I got my shoulder down and forward
And my arm is fully extended but not locked

355FCFF5-34CB-4272-80CA-CF658EA0AF50.jpeg

527D46A6-1119-4633-B249-0ADB10E1665C.jpeg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have worked on this a lot the last year
I started with a 29.5 inch draw looking a lot like you
Currently shooting 30.5 with both my bows
One is 35 ata
One is 40 Ish not 100%

View attachment 6366411

I’m not perfect by any means but I got my shoulder down and forward
And my arm is fully extended but not locked

View attachment 6366413

View attachment 6366423
I appreciate the help man. I can hit x’s but my groups are everywhere. I guess it’s similar to anchor points in that if you don’t have them, you don’t have a consistent spot to hold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You’re anchoring your thumb behind your neck and using your fingertip to hit the trigger, if I was you I’d shorten up my release and try to wrap my finger around the trigger and pull your elbow straight back

·
Registered
752 Posts
Feet are to far apart. Get weight on your front foot more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s looks a ton better to me!

Again not an expert but that pic is a big change from the first pic
Good job with straightening up as well
Hey thanks! My groups tightened up quite a bit. I’ve noticed that I start to lean back when I get tired I believe. Now I just have to make myself do that every time lol

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Looks fine. Shoot and have fun. Don't tear your hair out chasing the perfect form that doesn't exist. I mean if you were shooting while standing on your head maybe there would be something to change but you look pretty good. I would ignore the posts with 1000 little lines and arrows that you will never understand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Looks fine. Shoot and have fun. Don't tear your hair out chasing the perfect form that doesn't exist. I mean if you were shooting while standing on your head maybe there would be something to change but you look pretty good. I would ignore the posts with 1000 little lines and arrows that you will never understand.

Like in general?
Or are you referring to the 3 lines I drew to point to what I was taking about?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Like in general?
Or are you referring to the 3 lines I drew to point to what I was taking about?
Actually wasnt talking about your post at all. I think anyone that reads these knows what I mean and you will too if it shows up. I didn't even read beyond first post of thread. Yes in general the form looms good. Nothing I would worry about.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Actually wasnt talking about your post at all. I think anyone that reads these knows what I mean and you will too if it shows up. I didn't even read beyond first post of thread. Yes in general the form looms good. Nothing I would worry about.

No disagreement here
He looks just fine
Wasn’t sure if I had done something wrong offering a little advice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts