Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 09' I shot a pretty nice 10 point. I skinned the head out to do my first eruo but never gathered up a pot and burner then got busy. So it started getting stinky so I just cut the rack off. Well since then I got me a pot and burner and have eruod every buck since and have gotten good at it. Well now I am regretting not doing the one back in 09'. Heres my thoughts, I have some old heads I found dead that are in good shape. Do you think I could cut one of there racks off and put my 09' rack in place with plaster of paris or something and make it look "right"? Any of you ever done this? Thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh at the time I wanted to mount it cause it was my biggest but money was tight back then. Since then I have got one thats a touch bigger and didnt mount it cause I have decided I wont mount one until it hits around 160. Those two where 147 and 149.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Mckinzee has a few differnt types of artifical heads btw. Some you cut the antlers off and mount onto the fake skull. Vs trying to colormatch the skull plate to the artifical skull.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look at there website. If I can tag big boy by the 31st he will be mounted!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have done this with a few customers mounts that were in your same position. if you leave it white it will probably be somewhat noticible up close. the ones i did we camo dipped them after fixing them and you couldnt tell at all.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats what I figured, nothing is ever as good as the orignal. Aclaar have you ever seen or used the Mckenzie fakes with pedicals? They look pretty good on thier webisite I just checked out. But it says they come with a square peg to mount the antlers.....how do I drill a square hole in my antler bases?? I am thinking maybe one end is square for thier pedical hole and the other would be round for my end?

·
Registered
713 Posts
^^^check out post #48 under "biggest sheds you have found thread" 170. Looks like maybe they are glued in?

·
Registered
734 Posts
u can get a mountain mikes repro head and screw your rack in it

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mountain mikes, ill check it out but ao far leaning towards the mckenzie EM9.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked out mountain mikes site. Pretty good instructional video, heck I may go that route. Can anybody post any pics up of these that they have done?

·
I like elk!
18,499 Posts
I did a lot of looking around recently for nice reproduction Elk skulls.
Lots of options...
One thing that stood out was that many did not have teeth(like the Mckenzie)
Mountain Mikes are probably second best that I found...
Antlers By Klaus are the best. Most realistic and can be mounted by the Skull Hooker.
Actually,if you look on Skull Hooker's site,most the mounts are Antlers By Klaus repro skulls.
They are naturally the most expensive,but you almost can not tell the difference unlike Mountain Mikes.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to check them out now

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, Antlers by Klaus are nice. I did not see any prices but my phones browser is acting up so I may of missed em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts