Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently made the switch to Open Class from the Hunter class, and I'm look'n to order arrow's for my new rig..I was just wondering what's "your arrow" of choice for outdoor?? and why??......Thanks guy's and gal's....

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
WELCOME TO THE OPEN CLASS:thumbs_up
I WAS USING THE EASTON LIGHT SPEED 3-D's , IM USING THE CARBON EXPRESS CXL PRO'S NOW AND LOVE THEM !!!! THEY ARE ALSO A LITTLE BIGGER FOR GRABBING THE LINE ON THE SCORING RINGS. IM RUNNING MY BOW AT 58 #s arrows are cut carbon to carbon 28'' long with 70 gr glue in points and 1.5 mini blazers. awesome como out of my matrix =0) good luck and shoot straight

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I shoot ACEs cut to 26.5" with 80 gr in the nose, but I'm a low DW shooter--really tough building light weight arrows with low draw weight bows to get good flight to 80 yards. :pukey:

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I had been shooting X-ringers..... HV's for no speed limit classes and the standard for ASA.

Next year Im pretty certain they will be HT4s

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Depending on which bow I am shooting, I am either shooting Fatboys or Full Bores by Easton. Both pull lines great.

·
Registered
301 Posts
CXL Pros, 31" carbon to carbon, either 180 or 120 Pro Point Pins up front, gotta seen which flies better at 50yds. On the back I've got Silent Knight Vanes and pin nocks.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Not sure if I'm qualified to recomend a brand but I will say that after you choose a diameter, do yourself a favor and do a spine check and/or a hooter shooter test. After that, you will be suprised at the range of arrow's spine tolerance plus, after you weed out the bad guys and orient your arrows, how close your groups will be with a little tweeking.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Depends on a number of things, mainly draw weight/draw length.

I really like the Gold Tip Pro 22's, X-Cutter Pros, and 30X Pro or Triple X Pro. Tim Gillingham recommends shooting the largest arrow that you can get to IBO minimum weight while still keeping a decent FOC (8% or better), or shooting the largest arrow that will get you to the 280 fps ASA maximum.

The Gold Tips are very stiff spined, but if you set up the bow right, they will shoot lights out.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I've had good success with both fatboys and xcutters. One of the best flying arrows i have are some xcutters with 140gr point. The added wt. gets the foc up, keeps me under the ASA speed radar and also keeps me from being wwaaaay over spined (still over spined though, but hard not to be with gold tips).

Going to try some 22's during the off season thought and see how they fly!

·
74,535 Posts
Goldtip 22 series
DB

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Are you talking 3D or FITA or what? I like my Pro 22's but I think next year I'm going with a skinnier arrow for distance shooting. Maybe still shoot the 22's for 3D, but only if I end up with 2 outdoor bows.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have recently made the switch to Open Class from the Hunter class, and I'm look'n to order arrow's for my new rig..I was just wondering what's "your arrow" of choice for outdoor?? and why??......Thanks guy's and gal's....
The short answer is: The correct one for your setup that matches dynamic to static spine.

My go to arrow for 3D tournaments both indoors or outdoors is the PSE Xweave Pro 200 series. I have my arrows setup to be exactly 5 grains per pound off a 60#/27 1/2" draw bow. My arrow length is 25 3/4" topped with a 70 grain glue-in tip and using Bohning 3" parabolic fletching and GT .246 pins and Bohning pin nocks

·
Registered
818 Posts
I shoot 29 1/4", 400 fatboys fletched with 3-d duravanes, superuni's, 3-d super knocks, and easton fatboy 100 gr. points. i think the total weight is in the 360's. shot out of my commander 58#, 28" draw. i have recently played with some lightspeeds for a thinner shaft. those things fly like darts out of my bow. i dont have a crono but i would swear the lightspeeds are faster even at the same arrow weight, it is probally an optical illusion though. i think i am gonna give the lightspeeds a go for a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts