Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It amazes me how caught up in minor details and technology hunters are becoming. Is my bow fast enough? What broadhead is best? Where should I locate my stands based on my trail camera photos? How will I get by without the scent lock and the new buck growl call?

Are we just becoming lazy and loosing our roots, or just caught up in the marketing schemes brought to us through the media?

This really became apparent to me this last year when I was helping a younger hunter track a wounded animal. The thing was bleeding like a stuck pig and he couldn't follow the blood trail and was walking all over it.

What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
919 Posts
It is all in the way you are taught and raised!! I beleive that you need to be taught young how to get buy with little!!!! Then you don't need the expensive stuff!!! No adays most kids are just given stuff that they don't have to work for...... Also young people are always in a hurry!!!! They need to slow down and take it all in!! Just what i think!!!!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well I mostly agree.The advertising and such are true but,I think most dont have the spare time anymore to do all the things the old ways.Some are just lazy though.:wink:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
jamaro said:
I kinda agree with you but I gaurantee you there were a bunch of caveman sitting around a fire comparing broadheads, string type and bow materials... it is just part of human nature...

Progression...

J-
Great analogy. I totally agree. Hunters have been talking about the best gear for a long time. The gear is just getting better in alot , but not all cases.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Blood trail

RangerAngler said:
It amazes me how caught up in minor details and technology hunters are becoming. Is my bow fast enough? What broadhead is best? Where should I locate my stands based on my trail camera photos? How will I get by without the scent lock and the new buck growl call?

Are we just becoming lazy and loosing our roots, or just caught up in the marketing schemes brought to us through the media?

This really became apparent to me this last year when I was helping a younger hunter track a wounded animal. The thing was bleeding like a stuck pig and he couldn't follow the blood trail and was walking all over it.

What are your thoughts?
Cabelas sells a blood trail sensor thing for 299.99:)

·
Registered
771 Posts
pizzle said:
Great analogy. I totally agree. Hunters have been talking about the best gear for a long time. The gear is just getting better in alot , but not all cases.
Yep and now we have the ArcheryTalk forums to talk about it with people we will never meet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"just caught up in the marketing schemes brought to us through the media?"

You've said it...as a salesman, I know that marketing preys upon a psychological urge, that can be intensified just by repitition, by name recognition, or endorsement, etc, etc, & that a company will try just about anything (hopefully legally)to outsell another...

Some of the stuff on the market like "gumoflage" though, & the "deer view mirror" simply amazes me that there's a sucker born every minute, & there's someone going to capitalize on that...

however, I would like to say that you're correct that we've gotten lazy, that's just the sign of the times. With technological advancements, man will always go after the easier route when it comes to anything...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I'd say ...

My thoughts are: NOTHING is more important than “marksmanship.” 100 times more effort and attention should be paid to becoming a proficient archer than any other component of archery. After that ... debating, arguing, “splitting hairs” over equipment with friends and acquaintances is just educational and fun. I don’t think it’s that archers or hunters are getting lazy. There’s nothing wrong with passing some time, or relaxing at night with like minded people instead of watching the idiot box. Besides that ... if you have a question, or have a problem ... a dozen archers will help you solve it. I happen to believe speed is a good thing, and debate accordingly ... BUT ... all the guys who advocate moderate to heavy arrows are teaching me something. The day may come when I want to ... or have to; put that knowledge to use. As far as woodsmanship ... there’s a lot of common sense and tenacity required to be good at it ... and time in the field; preferably with people who know what they’re doing. It’s practical knowledge and experience. You can spend from now till doomsday on the internet and it’s nearly useless until you’ve lived it.. I “DO” think that the archery manufacturers have taken a page from the automotive and computer manufacturer’s book. That they have a 5 year plan which amps up the equipment to the full Monte, Madison Avenue hype each year. Like cars and computers, if you haven’t bought a new bow in the last three years, they have you believing that you’re shooting an obsolete, ugly, dated, dinosaur. Again ... I’ll say, the vast majority of our attention and efforts should NOT be spent on CHOOSING equipment; but should be spent of USING that equipment.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I think we are getting lazy.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Not only have we lost our roots, many have lost our way .....

Bowhunting is about hunting deer close, one on one.

So many now seek every advantage they can get, using gadgets, falling for gimmicks, using anything and everything even to the point of unfair advantage, stretching the shooting to 40, 50, more yards.

That's not the true challenge of bowhunting.

Its sad, really.:cry:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've been reading posts about deer that have been watched all summer, fed yr round, photographed yr. round and when time to hunt comes..just go to feeder and keep eye on your watch for exact show up time then shoot. I'd say things have changed and not for the best. Seems like the hunting part has been left behind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hunting gadgets

I agree, if you look at all of the gimicks at Wally-World and Cabela's it is rediculas! Cough suppresors, little cans with feathers in them to tell which way the wind blows, rearview mirrors, headphones, electronic calls, laser sights, eluminated knocks, you name it. I have harvested several P & Y bucks over the last five years. I take a back pack, snacks, grunt call and sometimes some horns to rattle with. Oh yea, I also take along hours and hours of shooting and practicing so when the time comes, there is no doubt I can place an arrow where I want it.:confused:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hoyt said:
I've been reading posts about deer that have been watched all summer, fed yr round, photographed yr. round and when time to hunt comes..just go to feeder and keep eye on your watch for exact show up time then shoot. I'd say things have changed and not for the best. Seems like the hunting part has been left behind.

But isn't that hunting? Doing all the hard labor of plating food plots, walking to the digital game cam once a week, then actually taking the time and effort to go sit exactly where you know they will be eating the food you planted for them? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sad:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
bucksdown4ever said:
It is all in the way you are taught and raised!! I beleive that you need to be taught young how to get buy with little!!!! Then you don't need the expensive stuff!!! No adays most kids are just given stuff that they don't have to work for...... Also young people are always in a hurry!!!! They need to slow down and take it all in!! Just what i think!!!!

agreed

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
jamaro said:
I kinda agree with you but I gaurantee you there were a bunch of caveman sitting around a fire comparing broadheads, string type and bow materials... it is just part of human nature...

Progression...

J-
One of the best ever!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Milkman said:
But isn't that hunting? Doing all the hard labor of plating food plots, walking to the digital game cam once a week, then actually taking the time and effort to go sit exactly where you know they will be eating the food you planted for them? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sad:
Yeah, I guess that's just modern deer hunting, but in my opinion a lot is lost when you don't go into the woods and learn to read all the different signs, find the different natural foods available, different travel routes, bedding areas, etc. then try to put all the pieces together and be at the right spot at the right time.
Just getting to the feeder before the timer goes off seems a little too sterile for me.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,232 Posts
Well...I don't have a trail camera, drop away rest, Blazers, GPS ( I still use the compass) and I'm still shooting aluminum arrows:eek: . BUT I do like the new bows so I guess I'm just all messed up or old fashion or both:confused: I like to keep things as simple as possible and not rely too much on technology.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
RangerAngler said:

What are your thoughts?
Aren't serious, obsessive hunters suppossed to be considering and sweating over all the minor details? I think that puts a great deal of fun into it. Constantly searching for the highest quality equippment you can get your hands on and the knowledge of how to use it. As mentioned, hunters have always compared tactics and accessories, what works and what doesn't. We are advancing in many aspects concerning top quality efficient equipment. I find it ironic that the folks who say we are to modernized are stating this from their PC's, on national bowhunting internet forums.... that's way to much technology there!!! :rolleyes: From utilizing topo maps and aerial photos to the many different applications we can use our computers for.... I certainly don't feel like less of a hunter. I'm not looking for shortcuts, I'm looking to better understand the ways of the whitetails by using the info I can collect from many different resources.

Bowhunting IS and ALWAYS will be a pointblank close range sport! It will ALWAYS be a game of inches and one that rewards he who works the hardest! No matter what we think we know, it comes down to the fact that in Bowhunting there really are NO SHORTCUTS..... only extra miles. It's not what the hunter can by or what he can learn but how he applies what he has in the field. You can NOT buy success in our sport, for theost part it must be earned. I think this applies to most of us on this forum.

I don't fault the hunter who is truly looking to improve his game and take it to the next level. From taking and sorting photos from your favorite trail cam to making sound management choices based on the feedback gathered by them. Adding foodplots to boost nutritional intake and inacting a number of habitat improvement projects certainly haven't made hunting easy by any means, it has simply got more sportsman more involved in every aspect of the sport.

Granted, their are a lot of marketing schemes out their but I would like to think that most hunters aren't so naive that they would honestly believe that there are magical potions and magical calls that bring every deer running towards you! There are many gimmicks that actually may help you kill immature deer but for every immature animal killed there is a mature deer that has escaped and learned another trick for survival. As we as hunters advance, so does our quarry. I think overall, hunters want to become better educated and more informed.... not lazy. That is one reason we see such a good turn out on many bowhunting forums, folks WANT to know what they can do and what they should do to improve their hunting. Technology is an awesome thing, don't be scared of it, embrace it. Why should we hate a guy that comes here looking for the most effective b-head he can find based on reliable feedback from his peers, the same goes with bows, stands, etc??? It's my opinion, that many of you ol' timers simply like to over react. If you are a recurve shooting, loincloth wearing caveman that I see your logic but being one that enjoys all the modern benefits of life from your PC to your cell phones..... I just don't see a problem. My guess is that there is a rangefinder hanging around your neck like everyone elses come fall. You visit the bowhunting forums for what reason? What exactly are you looking for on the bowhunting forums? I don't see hunting under a storm cloud but in better light than it has been in for many years. More folks these days than you realize are concerned with a quality experience not instant gratification.

Good luck and good huntin' this fall

·
74,535 Posts
Young Hunters today

Im very proud of the youngmen that I have had the pleasure to introduce to hunting today. All are good scouts and do there homework. Most have harvested good deer.

We may have a few more gadgets but it still takes skill and littls luck to harvest a good buck with a bow. Its a challenge that I just cant get enough of.

Hunting is what you make of it. I still remember and tell my fellow co workers, I ask them do you here that? They say what. The call of the wild!:wink: Hunting is an enjoyment and time to reflex, the harvest is a very smallest part of it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts