Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a nice 10 pt this year and he was my biggest ever. I went to go see what form they measured him for and they told me 16.5"-17" around the top of the neck which is quite small. He was a big bodied deer but the neck wasn't in rut mode yet. I was kinda disappointed to know that he will come back kinda small even though i will still be proud of him. Have you ever got a deer back that had a small neck? Here is the deer on the hoof. He wasn't any bigger then in this pic when i shot him.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
doesn't look to have a big neck in that. JMO

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't look to have a big neck in that. JMO
yeah i know. He isnt at all. I just never seen just a large antlered deer with such a little neck. Its a good thing i am getting a pedestal mount or there wouldnt be much neck to see.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
My guy does the mount based on the measured size prior to skinning. He also goes by the time of year. While that is a nice deer, if you wanted him to have a 28" neck, you should have left him go until the rut. :wink:

I would be proud of what I got, based on the story, or the rack, and would not get all wrapped up on neck size.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guy does the mount based on the measured size prior to skinning. He also goes by the time of year. While that is a nice deer, if you wanted him to have a 28" neck, you should have left him go until the rut. :wink:

I would be proud of what I got, based on the story, or the rack, and would not get all wrapped up on neck size.

Just my opinion.
yeah true. Thanks. I dont get many chances at deer this big. I cant afford to pass them up. lol. Im not in Iowa.

·
Registered
457 Posts
looks like he is a bit on the small side, I'm sure he will look fine, early season kill I'm guessing?...
he is a dandy, I'd be very happy with him small neck and all...
the horns is what they score, heck a smaller neck might make him look bigger in the mount...

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like he is a bit on the small side, I'm sure he will look fine, early season kill I'm guessing?...
he is a dandy, I'd be very happy with him small neck and all...
the horns is what they score, heck a smaller neck might make him look bigger in the mount...
yeah it was a early season kill but the rut started later then usual here. He just wasnt in the swing of things yet. He scored 131 1/4" with a 15 3/4" inside spread.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Needle neck forms must be cheaper or he had one laying around.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I remember when I was a kid my dad shot a 10 in the 140-150 range, the thing was a huge bodied late november swamp buck with a massive neck we struggled to move it around to get it on the four wheeler, I remember when we got it back from the taxidermist it had the same rack and the same dark coat, but we were disappointed that it wasnt the same big rutted up bodied buck.

So when I shot mine, very similar to my dads as well 2 years agoI just made sure not to make that mistake and made the guy awhere of it, he took measurments and made sure it came back to me the same way it was when I harvested it.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Needle neck forms must be cheaper or he had one laying around.
no, i talked to him and they order all there forms and said that they measured him and he had a small neck. He even has a small neck in my pictures. Guess thats just the way it is. I was just hoping he could make his neck look bigger to match his body but it is what it is and im still proud.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is a good buck for WV and I know because I hunted there for the first 30 years of my life!! Nice buck, and believe me, no one really studies neck size like you will!!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
you can get a hide to fit a lot of different forms. he could have made it fit a a larger form if he wanted to.when a deer is dead you can get a close but not perfect measurement.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If the neck is small it will make the rack look bigger!! :wink:
When I take something to the taxidermist I want it to be well represented and life-like when I get it back. I'm sure it will look great on your wall man!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just be happy if it has your cape on it!

The only shoulder mount I have ever had done came back with another deers cape on it. It is obvious from the pictures this is not my cape, the taxidermist admits that also but has no idea where my cape is!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Killed a huge eight point in nov in 2005 huge deer huge neck,got it back from taxi and was put on a smaller mold.Leared my leason check taxi references.Going to have my current taxi do a remount when I get the extra cash

·
Registered
48 Posts
Forms are sculpted to meat measurements off of carcass, meaning the measurements are to be taken off the meat, not including hide and hair. In the pic he doesn't look to have a huge neck....the hide and hair can be deceiving. I am a hobbyist taxidermist and shot a decent buck this year. I caped him to potentially mount or at least have an extra cape. I guessed his neck at the smallest point was going to be about 19"...it was 17" when I measured. That is a heck of buck you shot for the WV mtns, be proud of him the way he was....and if your really not happy with him buy a bigger cape from someone and do a remount (I normally wouldn't advise this unless the cape is a loss due to big holes/rotten)

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
My guy does the mount based on the measured size prior to skinning. He also goes by the time of year. While that is a nice deer, if you wanted him to have a 28" neck, you should have left him go until the rut. :wink: well

Just my opinion.

well he will have problems with the cape fitting the form, suppost to measure the neck muscle not the hair and all...lol
no, i talked to him and they order all there forms and said that they measured him and he had a small neck. He even has a small neck in my pictures. Guess thats just the way it is. I was just hoping he could make his neck look bigger to match his body but it is what it is and im still proud.
you have a couple options here, 1. mount it as it was when you killed him. 2. get a larger cape from same area and have him mounted in the "rut stage", many things can be done in taxidermy, its all up to the customer, or you in this case.:) also howlong was the hair? this makes a big differance in the muscle detail that can go into the mount...

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a good buck for WV and I know because I hunted there for the first 30 years of my life!! Nice buck, and believe me, no one really studies neck size like you will!!
yeah your probably right. Im a little bit of a freak when it comes to detail. THanks.

well he will have problems with the cape fitting the form, suppost to measure the neck muscle not the hair and all...lol

you have a couple options here, 1. mount it as it was when you killed him. 2. get a larger cape from same area and have him mounted in the "rut stage", many things can be done in taxidermy, its all up to the customer, or you in this case.:) also howlong was the hair? this makes a big differance in the muscle detail that can go into the mount...
Yeah i would rather he would have his original on it. Thats how he was so i would rather it would be him and small then another deer and be big. It just wouldnt feel the same.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
yeah your probably right. Im a little bit of a freak when it comes to detail. THanks.

Yeah i would rather he would have his original on it. Thats how he was so i would rather it would be him and small then another deer and be big. It just wouldnt feel the same.
do some searches and look at texas bucks, if you want detail let your taxi know, he can make him show muscle tone, or not up to you...

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
A mount is supposed to depict the animal as you took it. Sounds like it does that. My mule deer buck was taken in velvet in CO's early season. It's neck looks like a doe's neck that early in the season. In fact, my guide told me his neck would look twice as thick come the rut.

Enjoy your mount and your memories.
Dan

1 - 20 of 56 Posts