Archery Talk Forum banner

Have you ever had a Broadhead fail?

Have you EVER had a Broadhead Fail?

2452 Views 43 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  westernhunter
Has ANYONE ever had a broadhead fail even though your 99% sure you had perfect shot placement. By Fail I mean no blood trail and no animal recovered.

IF fail....Please elaborate on broadhead used, KE, shot?
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
I use fixed blades exclusively since they can not fail and I have had problems with the mechanicals in the past. Vague I know but I really don’t know what happened to keep them from functioning. The reasons for their failure were not important to me, I just stopped using them.

· Fishing Guide
3,020 Posts
As red44 said, bowhunters fail a lot more often than broadheads. Without recovering the animal how can anyone determine what really happened?

· Registered
985 Posts
have you ever had a broadhead fail

It was a 85 bruin broad head.All the blades fell out of head and was snapped in two pics, blood trail was weak at best. It ran 40 yards laid down We jumped the deer twice that night after giving deer 6 hours.I walked to within 12 yards of it bed ed down in the morning a 90 muzzy four blade thru the lungs it ran maybe 20 yards.The broad head only hit a rib bone. A blade had made it into one lung.Made a nasty hole when it hit rib both peaces of broad head and blades laying in bottom of chest cavity.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Failure to alot of hunters means not recovering the animal that was shot! Now to me this is not nessecarely what constitutes failure.

For example a broadhead that looses blades or breaks them on impact ,or a mech that opens at the shot . Even ferrel breakage would also amount to an amount of failure.

That said I had a rage 2 blade that was closed tightly prior to the shot cam open and actually fly very poorly that was a first for that and when I got ther the rubber o ring that suposedly not needed by thier advertiseing was gone it had broken I suppose at the shot . I had a few blades break off on just ribs on some cheaper BHs .I also had an old BH actualy that the tip screwd down on to loc the blades in come loose now yes I would tighten thm yet they still would shake loose .I pulled an arrow out of the quiver to see the blades and tip fall to the ground .

So yes they fail and if they fail prior to the shot and the animal is not recoverd cleanly and yopu made a good shot then they are at fault I suppose.:sad:

· Registered
5,143 Posts
Not me. Every animal shot at has been recovered. Some perform better than others but all in all they do their job for me. I have had a BH' blades break..... but through heavy bone and the once again the animal was recovered. Its where the shot is placed and what you do after the shot that counts.:darkbeer:

· Registered
862 Posts
8 people have said they have had broahead failure and only 2 have explained. sounds like BS to me. I know that my uncle had slick tricks "fail" on him. The stupid deer didn't die in 20 yard when he gut shot it. I'm sorry I can't even stop laughing while I am writing this.

99.9% of all "failures" are poor shot placement or tracking ability.

· Registered
409 Posts
Spit fires, recoverd the deer, however...
27 yard shot, broadside. approx 70 lbs KE. Arrow hit the back of the shoulder blade, the broadhead bent over in the insert, arrow turned and went straight back along the ribs.

I located it 8 hours later through pure luck and using a dog to track it(legal here in BC).

Kirby

· Registered
3,122 Posts
I did not recover 2 deer that I thought was hit very good so I voted yes but unsure of shot placement because I did not recover the deer. Both were quartering away shots. Both hit the opposite shoulder or at least I thought they did because I heard it hit bone (loud pop). One buried to the fletching (first deer) I waited maybe 30 minutes before starting to track never jumped the deer lost trail when it crossed a creek. Thinking the light arrow combined with tracking to soon was the problem so I got a heavier arrow and broadhead. The heavier setup passed through the shoulder and I waited till the next day to track and never found that deer either.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
By your definition of fail, then yes i have had a broadhead fail mean in the fact that i never found any blood, hair, arrow or deer. but i very sure that this was my fualt and not the broadheads, i will not elaborate on the type of broadhead since it was my fualt, but the shot angle was to steep, i should have waited but got antsy, rushed the shot and those this is my consquences. i dont think broadheadds can fail though, it is our reponsablity to know what our equipment is capable of, i made a bad destion that night and i never found that deer. still bothers me.

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
No for me.

I did witness my cousin who shot a deer with an old Wasp head that had .01" thick blades. All 3 were gone. We trailed that deer for about a mile and never found it. I have no idea of the shot placement, and of course he said it was perfect, but I have my doubts.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Yep Spitfire 20 yard broadside little hole going in little hole going out. Was double lung shot so found the deer. It was the first year they made them so I'm sure problem was fixed but they never will make it back in my quiver.:pukey:

· Registered
236 Posts
I shot a buck at 12 yards quartering away with a Cabelas Mechanical 3 blade and later learned not to shoot that angle cause the blades catch and deflect the angle of penetration. Did get liver and one lung. The deer did die. Not much of a blood trail. Shot in the evening and recovered the next morning. Deer went 250 yards.
The other "failure" was a 4 bladed Muzzy 90. Heart shot deer went maybe 60 yards into a super thicket. A sparse, sparse blood trail. Bled mostly internally just a few stray drops here and there. Recovered, but I felt liked giving up cause of the almost absence of blood sign. So what I gather from these two instances is tracking fatally shot deer at night is HARD. You need help, patience and persistence. Assume the deer is DEAD. Get another expereinced hunter who has good trailing experience to help. Good lights, a lantern, and keep looking till you find the deer. If you make the shot, the deer is gonna die. And stay away from the shoulder blade, A double lunger trumps a heart shot! :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.