Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all, Have you ever killed a velvet racked whitetail? Big or small lets see those pictures. Bow or gun welcome here.

Thanks for any replies.........

Keep'em Sharp... :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've hunted a lot of crops and I have to say that sunflowers are the best. They hold good deer from the time they are knee high till harvest. This buck came from where a treerow and the corner of 2 sunflower fields met. An intersection was formed by the treerow and the edge where the 2 fields met. If a spot like this is not available I try to get in a tree overlooking an aera with shorter or thinner flowers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First day kill

I killed a 7 pt on first day in NC several years ago. [First week of Sept.?] When deer fell over it broke one of the tines. It was still soft.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sunflowers

I've hunted a lot of crops and I have to say that sunflowers are the best. They hold good deer from the time they are knee high till harvest. This buck came from where a treerow and the corner of 2 sunflower fields met. An intersection was formed by the treerow and the edge where the 2 fields met. If a spot like this is not available I try to get in a tree overlooking an aera with shorter or thinner flowers.
I have encountered the same thing over the years hunting in Kentucky, sunflowers have plenty of deer visits.

The deer use them for cover and they also will eat the heads of the sunflowers before the seed mature. I have walked up on sunflower plantings (set out for dove hunting) and found fresh deer tracks and the sap still running (bleeding) from the flower-heads. Unfortunately the area was always bush-hogged before bowseason so that they could have dove-shoots.

Keep'em Sharp.............

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I'm planning on trying for one this year, that or a mulie. I'll probably mulie hunt in the mornings then hit the cick bottoms and alfalfa at night for the whitetail:wink:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I killed a spike here in Missouri about ten years ago. The season started Oct 1st then so it was unusual to get one like that. When I went to field dress him he only had one testicle and I guess from what I can gather bucks like that will stay in velvet and even continue to grow. He was small but he's a velvet buck and that's pretty cool!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The title says it all, Have you ever killed a velvet racked whitetail? Big or small lets see those pictures. Bow or gun welcome here.

Thanks for any replies.........

Keep'em Sharp... :)
Does killin one w/ your truck count?? Done that, but sorry no pics...

·
Registered
234 Posts
North Carolina September 12th.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice find guys! I was locked and loaded on opening day in SC for opening day and every buck i saw was in full velvet! 3 days later I got my chance! It was closing dark and a 187 yrd. shot. Once i got to it he had actually started rubbing... Maybe even that day! Im not sure if i wanted it still in full or like it is with a few tines bare and the velvet hangin like that monster up top! I'll see if i can't get a pic up soon!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ttt

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bump

1 - 20 of 25 Posts