Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time and thought.... Man this thing sucks. It wasn't really the bow so much as the setup. And he had really good acc's on this thing too. He thinks it is great too, hard to watch someone you like get screwed since the dealer set it up or him!

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
All to much of it happens all the time-------but to blame a dealer all the time-----I've seen so called set ups by people themself or their good friend that claim they know what they are doing better than a pro shop really be out in left field. A true friend wouldn't let him continue to shoot the bow that way. Seeing you know it's not correct why not explain why it isn't and help him set it up properly. That's what a friend would do. Just like a true pro shop wouldn't let a customer walk out the door with a messed up bow.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Some people just like different things. Thats the beauty of archery. So much to choose from in terms of set up and accessories.

With that said, I have shot a couple of my friends bows out in front of me and onto the ground years ago. They were not impressed. :embara:

But that was back in the days of the huge grips and most everyone shot with a really open hand.

I relied on my wrist sling to catch my bow initally and they didnt have one on their bows.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but how is your buddy shooting with his setup? Remember, the bow was set up for him and not for you. I have never shot a friends bow that fit me the same way that it fit them. From what I have experienced, If I see something with someones setup that I don't like, and they are shooting well, I keep my comments to myself. I have seen some jacked up setups at the range and commented to the shooter about it and about had my head bitten off for trying to help them. They were struggling but didn't want my advice because the shop set it up for them. I have seen two friends blow up their bows because they were shooting the wrong arrows. I tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen.
Letting us know what was wrong with your buddys setup would be helpful.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The biggest thang was that they cut his arrows at least a half inch too short. He's got a QAD and the arrow rests on the seam between the field point and the insert. Could be fixed by adjusting the rest back but arrows shouldn't be that short for broadhead use. The quiver they sold him is falling apart and had to be electrical taped together..... Don't know how to explain it. Just seemed cobbled and shot like a POS.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
yes but my friend is way to stubborn to listen to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes but my friend is way to stubborn to listen to me.
Yeah, mine is too. I tried to explain to him why his wrist sling shouldn't be cutting off circulation to his hand and he came back with "it's not too tight for me...... it fits me perfect". So I just shut up at that point. Probably didn't help that he was grouping about 16"s and he handed me his bow and I put them in a 2" group but the sight was off 4" up and 4" left.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
sometimes it's better to let people alone and just enjoy shooting. it's not you set-up, so who cares. is something really wrong, or just not to your liking? if it's wrong and he won't listen, just let him figure it out on his own. no need to get someone mad over archery. just have fun. good luck.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hard to argue, I have a buddy that shoots every third shot about 8" high and left and I shoot it just fine. It's also 2.5" too long for me, can't touch my head with my anchor hand!

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
I shot my Dads captian ...nice bow ! He shot mt Element and hated it ..... Last week

Who's to say ...if it fills tags I like it

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I shot a buddies bow once a few years back. Second arrow knocked the fletching off the first. Third arrow touched. Fourth one broke the nock of the second arrow. It was not for sale.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
Yeah, mine is too. I tried to explain to him why his wrist sling shouldn't be cutting off circulation to his hand and he came back with "it's not too tight for me...... it fits me perfect". So I just shut up at that point. Probably didn't help that he was grouping about 16"s and he handed me his bow and I put them in a 2" group but the sight was off 4" up and 4" left.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink even if he is dying of thirst.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts