Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have , but never done it and never will .... just wondering if you guys have ever though about it ... even when you were kids...

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
The hunting is always better on the other side of the fence. If it wasn't then no-one would care if you crossed the fence. I don't turkey hunt but I have heard that sometimes you have to make a decision.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have to admit that as a young hunter, I thought about it a few times. Then I thought about how if my dad found out that I was trespassing he would beat me silly. End of thoughts about even trying to cross a property line where I was not allowed to be.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Oh yeah as a kid we thought about dropping someone off to run through the neighbors cornfield. Never did it though....

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
This November I hunted a certain big public land buck for 18 days straight.
Camped in my slide in at the area.
Had him cold at 20 broadside, 2 yards past the end of area sign, on private property.
Who would have known?
Yeah I thought about it.
I wound up looking at him thru my bino's for 5 minutes, man he was way bigger than anything I have shot with a bow.
I must be a dumb ass.

marty

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Had him cold at 20 broadside, 2 yards past the end of area sign, on private property.
Who would have known?
Yeah I thought about it.
I wound up looking at him thru my bino's for 5 minutes, man he was way bigger than anything I have shot with a bow.
I must be a dumb ass.

marty
You can judge a mans true character by what he does when nobody is looking.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Not proud of it, but when I was a kid in HS I would go everywhere hunting *****. I even hunted them in the city I live in along the rivers. I never thought about anyone else or thier property. I just wanted the pelts. I was what I now loathe. The only smidgen of justification is that I sold them to help mom with the bills, we even ate some of them, (I was one of five mouths she had to feed) I also had a job to. Again I am not saying it is right but that is what I did. I was just a punk kid, now I know better.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
i have

i have when i was a kid in high school, and got caught.not only was it embarrassing, but it think i still have welts on my butt from my dad over 30yrs ago. never did it again

·
Registered
159 Posts
My family owns some land ajacent to a very high-end golf course with tons of deer on it. I would never trespass on private land, but for some reason I don't feel bad at all for shooting deer off of the back of their "exclusive" course. I even had a doe run out on the fairway and go ass-over-teakettle after I double lunged her. I couldn't stop giggling as I ran out there and drug her off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
A few years ago i was hunting this farm that bordered alarge piece of abanded property and i snuck in there to see what was their and found a real good spot so i hunted their a few days later and killed my biggest buck ever. I have not hunted their since becouse the other farm owner decided to keep all hunting for their kids that were getting old enough to start bow hunting. It sucked but i can't blame them.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I actualy trespased last week, without even knowing tho. I got MNR maps with the privite land and public lane. Acording to my map i didn;t tresspass and according the land owner map that was hand writen in 1934 i tresspassed for 20 feet to get onto the public land. Where i was actualy hunting i was well over 300 yards from his land.

So yeah as meny deer i saw i respected his wishes and didn;t go back. We are going back next week to do some scouting and we will talk to the old man and try and get permision to cross 20 feet of his land.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
When I used to trap fox as a kid, I made sets wherever I could if it was accessible without being noticed. If an area could only be accessed near a house or something I'd ask permission first.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
if you never trespassed when you were a kid, you must not have been out in the woods much. i cant count how many times when i was a kid we snuck into al kinds of places. junk yards, ponds, barns, woods. luckily i never got caught or my dad would have tanned my hide good.:eek:

once i got older, i respected other peoples property and there boundries. here in Iowa we dont have to have the landowners permission to go onto their land to retrieve downed game animals. you just cant have a weapon and you must try to walk directly to the animal.

Tony

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Who would have known?
Yeah I thought about it.
I must be a dumb ass.

marty
man if that were my land i woulda called you a dumbass for not shooting him!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I was spoiled. I guess my neighbors didn't care if I was messing around on their place or they would have said something to me while we were fixing fence or pulling hay bales together.
They all knew I liked to hunt and just let me go wherever I wanted to. I suppose it's because they knew I wouldn't damage anything and I'd close the gates behind me.... and I'd also be there in the morning to help them work cattle.

But things were sure different in the 80's though. I miss it.

As for the actual question - no I don't knowingly trespass.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was spoiled. I guess my neighbors didn't care if I was messing around on their place or they would have said something to me while we were fixing fence or pulling hay bales together.
They all knew I liked to hunt and just let me go wherever I wanted to. I suppose it's because they knew I wouldn't damage anything and I'd close the gates behind me.... and I'd also be there in the morning to help them work cattle.

But things were sure different in the 80's though. I miss it.

As for the actual question - no I don't knowingly trespass.
I had the same situation growing up. Took off in the morning with my .22 chasing squirrels and up the river bottom I would be on six or seven different properties by the end of the day. knew all the landowners and often talked to them while I was in their pastures after squirrels. Never thought about it it was just the way it was. That same river bottom is now controlled by kids of the old farmers and a one piece was sold. Now I wouldn't even consider taking that same walk without making a ton of phone calls first. They may still let a guy out after squirrels but deer, not so much.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
yes ive thought about it...even worse when you hunt the fenceline that is on the border of your hunting ground( a soybean field) and someone elses property(bedding area)and you constantly see deer on the other property.Havent ever done it though.Only time Ive ever trespassed was to get my dog and I got threatened with a 12 gauge...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts