Archery Talk Forum banner

Have you missed a chip shot at 10 yards or under?

• Yes

Votes: 213 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 105 33.0%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m leaving this poll anonymous to get a better response and not embarrass anyone.
In 1975 I clean missed a doe at 3 yards and then clean missed her again at 12 yards.:angry:

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I beat the poll by 3 yards.:thumbs_up

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
Yep! I'm not ashamed. More than once too. Dang tree limbs just jump out there and my arrows get stuck in them somehow.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm not embarrassed......hell yeah I missed a FAT arsed doe at about 7-8 yds. I was on the ground in a brush blind and shot right under her brisket....still not sure how.

· Registered
171 Posts
No shame

I'm not ashamed, but I was frustrated with myself. I missed a buck at 7-8 yards. Buzzed his back. Technically, I touched him with the arrow. Shaved off an inch of hair.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I haven't missed one technically. I did hit one high this year that no doubt lived. I hit her above the spine from a tree stand about 5 yards from the tree. Just burnt her backstraps up! Not sure how I hit her there and didn't spine shoot her but, it happened. I was too busy loading her in the truck to make the shot count:confused:, stupid mistake. I'm 99% sure she lived, she quit bleeding after about 100 yards. I've been bowhunting for about 20 years and have taken lots of deer. But just goes to show what happens if you loose focus during those last critical seconds.

Its a little embarrassing to tell, but a good lesson learned! I did however redeem myself 2 weeks later and drilled one of her slick headed relatives.

· Registered
975 Posts
I missed a turkey that was directly below me. He was trying to get through some woven wire fence... I drew, he started to walk away.. I blew it! Felt like an idiot! As far as deer.... no not under 10 yards.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Ten Point - 10 Yards.

Nov. 1993, light rain and rain jacket hood was up, drew the string past the hood (incorrect draw legth at the time). String pulled on hood clean miss.

Deer was clueless after the shot becasue of the good cover the rain noise was providing, I was also clueless as I re-nocked an arrow and missed again at 15 yards!

Took me a good 20 minutes to figure out what happened.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
Well I had to answer no because of the 10-yard limit. I've never missed one inside 10.

But not too far outside that? You betcha. I remember one in particular, nice litte muley buck. Took a little hair off the top of his shoulders at about 15 or so. I was pretty young then, but I still can't figure how that happened. I must not even have aimed!!! :angry:

· Registered
290 Posts
5 Yards

Missed an 8 Point(2 1/2 yearold) at 5 yards. Shot over his back. It was 2nd week of the season, so all the leaves were still on the trees, there were 4 other deer around the stand, low pressure area. None of these things were factors I just flat out missed. Fortunately though he only spooked 20 yards and I was able to knock another arrow and got him. He was no monster but a trophy for me. It is the deer w/ my pup in my avatar.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
25 years ago I missed a spike at 3 yards. I had never killed a buck (my second year of bowhunting) and didn't count on him getting that close. When I came to full draw I remember the thoughts running through my head about where to hold at that range. I'd never thought to practice at that range but remembered people talking about which pin to use at very close range. I changed my mind several times as he just stood there, completely lost my composure and had NO idea where my pin was when I released the arrow. Shot cleanly over his back!

hd

· Registered
704 Posts
I've missed 1 doe and 1 buck at 10 yards...hit a limb on the buck and just shot under the doe. BUT...each of them only ran about 20 yards and stopped, and I was able to put another arrow in both. VERY lucky

· Do say when...
1,744 Posts
Haven't completely missed, but I wished I would have. Would have been my second buck with a bow, quartering to and hit 6in back from where I wanted to hit. Found him 2 weeks later. :sadJust taught me never to take quartering to shots.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
Years ago I missed 9 times with a bad timing issue all around 10 yd shots. When I finally figured the whole thing out it was like christmas every day

· Registered
2,751 Posts
Not at 10....but I missed the only deer I've ever shot at from the ground at a whopping 14yds.

I, to this day, have no idea how I missed. Clear lane.....perfect broadside.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.