Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did & It was the best thing I have experienced :darkbeer:
brings back old memories :)
I forgot about the excitement, uncontrolled SHAKES :wink:
just awesome
Gregg

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I started taking my son when he was about 7yrs old. I get more excited when he takes a doe or a small buck than when I take a big buck. Last year he shot a huge 7 point, I think I was happier than he was. Takin youths hunting is one of the most important things we can do. I had a guy tell me a long time ago " Take your kids hunting or you will hunt hunt your kids"

· Registered
297 Posts
I organize a Learn to Hunt Wild Turkey program here in southern Wisconsin and most of the participants are kids but we also have first time adults hunting. It is a lot of work and organization but the looks on the faces of these kids and adults, when they get up and close with a strutting/gobbling tom is priceless!

My daughter started hunting 2 years ago and she really enjoys it. I took my 9yr old son with me bowhunting for the first time a week ago and you could almost hear his heart beating with the first sight of a deer at 20yds. The smile on my face must have completely came out of my face mask!

If you have the opportunity, take a kid hunting. You will never regret it!

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Youths bring home the bacon

Took my boys on a pay hunt this weekend. My younger one has been practicing, and shooting at squirrels, pigeons, etc. He was chomping at the bit. I got him some 85 grain Montec BH for his little Browning Micro Midas. My older one has been busy doing the things that teenagers do, so he wisely chose to hold off until he was more confident with the bow. I even bought him some Rage 2-blades, hoping to get a close point of impact to his field points, but he chose the 20 ga. instead. My 11 yr old got the big one, 15 yr old got the 80 lb one.

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
I started taking my son last year (7) and he has yet to take a deer came very close this year with a doe at about 10 yds she would not turn broad side fpr him to take a shot he showed great patience and discipline by not shooting, it brought tears to his eyes when they walked off. I am very proud of him. We enjoy the time out in the field together no matter what happens.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
just my thoughts

There is no better feeling than sitting in a ground blind with your kids turkey hunting--especially when they are helping to do some of the calling. My oldest daughter was with me this spring when I put a nice 4yr old bird down. This fall we hunted turkeys together and we had a fox come into the decoy and she begged me to shoot him, but I told her he was out of season. They all like to go out!! This spring was supposed to be about trying to get each kid time out in the woods hunting--currently in Iraq--but they dorked my leave up and now trying to find out when the spring season is in Florida and Tenn, as I know the southern states tend to open earlier than Missouri. Oh well, when we get to Alaska they will get to go caribou and moose hunting with me--and maybe even black bear over bait during the spring time.

· Registered
58 Posts
First deer

Here is his first deer and I do believe he his hooked for life. We tried to kill with a bow but it is hard to shoot when you are shaking as hard as he does so he killed the doe with a 243 the first day of KY gun season.

Attachments

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Great thread. I took my niece out for her first ever turkey hunt this past spring. She is 15 years old and never really expressed and interest in going, so I asked if she wanted to go and she was really excited to do so. Took her out during the youth season here in Missouri and the weather was awful. Temps in the 30's with wind and sleet. Thankfully, I had scouted them out the week before and found them using this ridge with an old hay barn on top. We set up in the barn well blocked from the wind and had a bird close, and gobbling at everything early, but he just wouldn't commit. Then I started hearing another bird behind us closing the distance and I told her she was going to kill that bird. After about 5 minutes, I called lightly and that bird gobbled just on the other side of the wall from her and her eyes lit up like you wouldn't like Christmas morning! I told her to get the gun up and get ready. He cleared the wall and was already strutting, but he stayed over to the left where she couldn'd see him. He was spitting and drumming and walking back and forth, and she could't see any of it. Then he finally cut over to the decoys. I told her to take her time, take a few deep breaths, settle the beads and ease back on the trigger. She whispered that she couldn't get the gun steady. Then he walked back over to the left again. I told her it was OK, just to relax that he wasn't going anywhere. Then the other bird gobbled again, and he was about 60 yards out on the other side of the decoys. This bird went to cut him off and walked right back out in the decoys. Again, I coached her through the shot, got her settled down and told her to take a deep breath, let out half, settle the beads at the base of his head and ease back on the BOOOOOM! She smacked him and the turkey went down in a heap, with hardly any flopping. We both jumped up and hugged and laughed and went over to check him out. Very nice for her first bird. 20 pounds, 10.5 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. I am hoping to have the same kind of luck when I take my 9 year old son out for his first turkey hunt next spring. May be taking out another niece as well. Should be a busy season, but if we can have this type of success it will be awesome! Oh, also took her out for her first deer hunt this fall, but she was unable to steady the crosshairs on a nice little 6 pointer. We will try again in the extended youth season in January!!! My hat is off to all of you in guaranteeing the future of our sport. I am doing my best to pass it on, and I love it. There is nothing like the look on their faces when it all comes together!!!

Attachments

· Registered
2,046 Posts
i took my mechanics son out for his first hunt ever this year. he took his daughter out so i volunteered to take his son out. it was a lot of fun. we didn't see a deer the entire time( couldn't convince him that coughing and shiffing would keep the animals away) he asked me when we were going again so i hope we can get out this weekend.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
youth

i started letting my son hunt 3 seasons ago when he had just turned 10yrs old. that year he took two nice does opening day of gun season. the next year was his first year to try bow hunting, he only got one chance at a deer with his bow and he missed b/c i stopped the 5pt buck a little short of his shooting lane, and yes, i felt pretty horrible. he did end up shooting a deer during gun season that year. this year we hunted hard during bow season and he had one oppertunity at a doe and she ducked the arrow, he was pretty let down. he rebounded pretty quick when gun season came in though. the problem is that he lives with his mother, so i only get him every other weekend, which severaly cuts down on his time in the woods.
this is his deer from this year, opening day of gun season 08 in a steady cold rain.

Attachments

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Idaho 07

This is my youngest daughter with her first buck. She isn't afraid to hunt hard, she will push me at times. Both of my daughters have hunted since they were old enough. They started to go with me since they were old enough to carry bear bait or help dad unload/load backpacks. They have both taken Mulies and Bear. Nothing is better than watching them hunt and fish.
Reindeer Trophy hunting Elk Deer hunting Barren ground Caribou

· Pay It Forward
27,096 Posts
Oh yeah....

I've taken my son (he's 5), my daughter (she's 3), my cousin (he's 13), and a few others with the Jakes Program as recently as this year. As the oldest of three boys and the oldest “cousin” in a huge family, I have been taking juniors since I was a junior myself. It is truly one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

There is nothing quite like watching the little one's getting hooked. With my two, I started with no weapons, just sitting in the blind. I graduated with my son to taking my bow in the blind for Thunder- Chickens in the spring (bring a therma-cell). Last fall he sat on stand with my three times while I was hunting and too many time to count on scouting trips.

Here's are a few pics....believe it or not I get so caught up in the moments I forget to snap pics; I need to get better at that!

Camille and I checking the cams (age 19-months)

Ty with my 05 8-point

more 05

Ty and the 06 8-point

Planting some apple trees

The FAMILY 07

· Registered
21 Posts
Here is a pix after the youth waterfowl and youth pheasant hunt from this year. The boy on the left is my nephew, middle is my boy and the right is a neighbor boy. The pooch is my winged hunting machine.

We hunt a national wildlife refuge loaded with uneducated birds. They shot so many times my nephew ran out of shells (15 is the limit). Frustrating yet rewarding. He redeemed himself with the ditch parrot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.