Archery Talk Forum banner

Having a hard time dergreasing?

760 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  adarnell
:sad:I am having a really hard time degreasing a bear skull Please help!!!!!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,594 Posts
how are your doing it? and how long have you been doing it?

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have soaked in dawn dish soap and water for 2 o 3 days i have soaked in oxy clean for 2 or 3 days i have soaked in half water half vinager for 2 or 3 days and nothing seems to be working, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
going to take alot longer then that. the water also needs to be heated. Are you heating the water?

· Registered
223 Posts
hot water and dawn dish soap heated to around 120....change the water when it gets cloudy, patience patience patience... bears can be tough, I had one that took 6 months of degreasing last year

· Registered
33 Posts
Go to the hardware/paint store and buy enough Acetone to cover it. Let it soak (covered) in a well ventilated area for a couple days. Remove, drain, and let dry in the sun. Repeat soaking process if needed. Then put it in a solution of 3% (household) peroxide at about 120-150 degrees for a couple hours. Remove, drain, and dry in the sun. The skull will be grease free and whitened. Keep an eye on the teeth during the peroxide process-when they are completely white, you are done!

· Registered
223 Posts
I dont think you should be heating the peroxide... acetone is a good degreaser, just let it soak in there BE SURE NOT TO MIX THE H2O2 and ACETONE... always rinse and dry real good when going from one to the other

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.