Archery Talk Forum banner

Having trouble gluing feathers on shafts

702 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Fury90flier
I was experimenting with fletching the other day and the results came out pretty messy. I tried both superglue and gorilla glue after hearing people say they used these instead of fletching glue. While they both worked amazingly as far as the bond, i ran into the problem of the glues shooting out the side. With the jig clamp down, i cant wipe off the glue that has squeezed out the sides of the quail. How do apply the feather without making a mess with the glue? Ive watched tons of videos of people fletching and im doing it the same. HELP!!!!
-WooDy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20,951 Posts
use less glue on the fletching.

I don't clean up anything that squeezes out...it just gets used to assist in bonding.

· Registered
12,124 Posts
I still use Fletch-Tite Platinum and like others said, don't use too much glue. With my Bitz there is a little smear on the front half of the arrow just from the way the helical clamped feather mates with the shaft. A q-tip wipes it right off.

I want my feathers glued on relatively neat, but I also never want them to come off. There's a happy medium between too much and to little glue in my opinion. To much is a mess, too little doesn't give a good seal and mate of the quill to the shaft.

· Registered
240 Posts
Yup I use Bohning Fletching tape. Best stuff for fletching anything I think. Easy to apply, remove, works on all shaft materials and finishes.

· Registered
20,951 Posts
Think I'll give the tape a try... much easier than I'd thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.