Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i just was shooting and am having trouble.
all my shots are terrible for some reason.
here is my shot sequnce:
  1. i get a relaxed grip on the bow
  2. i pull the string back
  3. i relax my release hand, bow hand, bow arm and sholder.
  4. i get the pin on the spot and let it float
  5. i start pulling and keep pulling the same hardness, and go back to consentrating on the dot
  6. i stare it down, and let the pin do its thing
  7. i wait untill the shot goes off and then complete my follow through and eye followthroug
    [/list=1]
    but when i see where the arrow goes, it is not on the right spot. my form i am pretty sure is great, and you can decide about my shot sequence. what do you think is going wrong? i do get a surprise release.
    thankx a lot guys. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Something you might try is to do some blind bale shooting up close. Stand as close as 10 yards and concentrate on hitting a spot on your target without actually putting a target there. It takes the pressure off while you solve your shooting issues. Concentrate on nothing but having your arrow end up exactly where your looking.Then sight in at a fairly close yardage till you feel comfortable moving back. Do not put a Target up until you know where your arrows are hitting where your eye is looking...
Give it a try! :D

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have blind baled and i feel my form is fine.
but i think you might be talking about blank baling. :) are you?
if so, thankx, i will give it a try!!!
:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you might be trying to put too much thought into your shot sequence and not just shooting the arrow. My theory, for the little it may be worth, is that you should have your shot so it just happens and you do not think about the sequence. Your form should just be naturally repetitive or trained to be repetitive. The only thing I worry about after pulling the string back is putting the circle around the X. Everything else just happens.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
archery1 said:
but when i see where the arrow goes, it is not on the right spot.
You're peeking! Just keep your pin on the X, and keep it there, when the shot breaks, follow through, and keep looking right at the X even as the bow is dropping. Forget about the arrow, you can't make it go into the X just by watching it go, in fact, if you "peek", then you will throw your shots off, and all over the place. (I'm guilty, but something you should know.) And most of all, have fun!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not saying you're doing something wrong, but-sometimes we do things we don't think we do, and other times(maybe at the same time) we don't do certain things that we believe we are doing. Follow me?

Have an experienced person that won't be afraid to give you some constructive criticism watch you. Let them tell you what you're doing right, and what you're doing wrong. They might point something out to you that you don't realize your doing, or something you should be doing that you aren't.

It might also help to have somebody video you from a couple different angles.

If your form truly is up to spec, and your holding steady, then the only other area to look is equipment. Things certainly can go out of tune. That's another thing to check if your form really does look good.
Good Luck!

peashooter

·
Registered
392 Posts
Try this >>-->

archery 1, I see you live in Albany.Why don't you go over to the Albanys Shooters club or Neils Archery shop and ask the same question,you are surruonded by the finest people in this sport.Any one of these suggested will get you where you need to be in your game.It's very hard to visualize a problem with out seeing it such as your's and much easier to help a person when your watching them.Don't let bad habit's get the first jump on you.The people you will meet there are what this sport and sportsmanship is all about.You have one of the finest Archers in this sport around there,and if your real lucky,he may just be there that day ">>--Jim Despart-->".Do yourself right .....GO.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
firstly i would look at draw length maybe the reason your shooting is off is maybe your anchor is too deep and your string maybe it;s stretched or your draw length is too long and your not able to circle the spot and then stop at the time of the release. i was shooting a 29 1/2 inch draw length and am now shooting a 29 and have found when i lock my shoulder in that i can now set steady and keep the pin on the spot i am shooting, making it a better shot sequence for me. you might try that
good luck
rob k

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thankx guys
and skip pecor, where is it in albany? my mom says she knows all of albany, and all she needs to know is what part. thankx a lot :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I know this may sound a little unorthodox but ive actually stood behind my buddy about 10 feet with a pair of binos and watched his shooting through them. Stand off to one side so you get the full view of the shooter and the target. Youll be amazed that the extra magnification will pick out problems......Give it a shot!

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thankx skip pecor

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Move the sight

·
Registered
11 Posts
Focus on the pin, and only the pin, just like shooting a hand gun, the target should be slightly blurry, and make sure your anchor point is the same every time I dont know what you have on your bow, but you need a kisser and a peep site to be sure you anchor the same place each time. P.S. make sure that nothing is moving on your bow, mainly the site pins or peep site or site pins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts