Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas Everyone. I know a lot of people have been waiting for this event once again. Every year I put together a charity hunt for a conservation group called Hawaii Island Land Trust. www.hilt.org This charity hunt is auctioned off at their "Buy Back The Beach" annual charity event in January. The first two years were bought by the same two guys. Last year we actually sold the auction twice and I'm sure both of last years winners will chime in. Of course we want to blow it up to get the most amount of money for the Land Trust so we are considering opening up the auction to people that are not at the actual auction. We are considering allowing people to call in their bid to the Land Trust beforehand and someone from the land trust will bid for them at the auction. Would there be any interest out there for such a thing?

Here's what the package would entail:

Guided Kaupo Hunt & Private Dinner with Chef Brian Etheredge, 2 people

This 2-day/ 1-night package features a guided hunt on Kaupo Ranch’s 8,000+ acres of pristine land on Haleakala’s leeward slope. Help with the ranch’s game management program and conservation efforts: each hunter will be allowed one each (male or female) of Axis deer, Polynesian feral goat, and pig. The two-day hunt—either bow or rifle—will be guided by Kaupo hunter and Maui native Robin Kean. Each hunter must possess a valid State of Hawaii hunting license.*During the overnight stay at the historic Kaupo Ranch house, Brian Etheredge, award-winning chef and owner of Capische restaurant in Wailea—and avid hunter himself—will cook a gourmet dinner using exotic game from the ranch. Learn one-on-one his tips and secrets in preparing wild game for an extraordinary meal.*“If you love the outdoors, this is the hunt of a lifetime,”*says Kekoa Kaluhiwa, winning bidder two years ago. He was joined by his coworker Cole Shook from the wind energy company, First Wind. Both avid hunters, Kekoa (from Hawai‘i) and Cole (from Texas) harvested several animals including deer, pig and goat during the two day hunt.*Kaluhiwa had this to say about the experience:* “Kaupo Ranch offers an opportunity to hunt at different elevations and terrain, it was an amazing experience. Robin was a superb host and the dinner prepared by Chef Brian was first class.”
Total Value: $10,000
Buy it now
*Donors: Robin Kean, Kaupo Ranch; Sean Curran, avid bow hunter/ Guide, and Brian Etheredge, Capische Restaurant

**Activities are weather permitting. Some black out days may apply. One month prior notice mandatory to arrange hunt. Bring your own lunch, snacks, liquids, hunting gear. This excursion is limited to adults and/or child accompanied by a legal guardian in good physical condition (12 years and older.) Persons with a history of respiratory or cardiac problems, or anyone currently under the care of a physician, should check with their doctor prior to participating in this hunt.
Last year Cole got a 31" trophy axis buck and two beautiful trophy goats. His buddy Kekoa was after meat and got two beautiful does and a large trophy goat.

I will post pictures of the ranch as well as the animals from past winners. Bidding typically opens at $1000 and obviously we want to get the most possible for conservation charity. We have no seasons, no tags and no limits. Out of State licenses cost $100/ person through the DLNR and I will help facilitate.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate any feedback. Feel free to look up Hawaii Island Land Trust online to learn more about their conservation efforts and what a great cause this is. 100% of your bid will be donated to the Hawaii Land Trust. Mahalo

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
photo 2.JPG

Axis Buck 31.5"

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
photo 1.JPG

Axis Buck 30"

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
photo (1).jpg

Bow hunting top of Kaupo Ranch View

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
photo (1) copy.jpg

Kaupo Hunting Sunrise

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
photo (1) copy 8.jpg

Polynesian Goat Kaupo Gap

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
photo (1) copy 7.jpg

Deer hunting with secret beach in background

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
photo (1) copy 6.jpg

320# boar with Kaupo Gap in background

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
photo (1) copy 5.jpg

Axis Doe

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
photo (1) copy 4.jpg

Kaupo fishing from coastline

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
photo (1) copy 3.jpg

Axis Buck

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
photo (1) copy 2.jpg

Morning Hunt

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Then come hunt this amazing place
Man that would be sweet but right now I'm just trying to figure out how I can get back out there for a couple weeks. I'm afraid the cost of the hunt would be more than I could swing...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man that would be sweet but right now I'm just trying to figure out how I can get back out there for a couple weeks. I'm afraid the cost of the hunt would be more than I could swing...

Well it is a good selling point to the wife or girlfriend, hey let's go to Hawaii and you sneak a hunt in. Remember you can split the cost of the hunt with a buddy. Last year it sold for $3200 and we sold a matching hunt for the same price. No match this year though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was one of the hunters that went on this hunt last year. I am having issues with recommending this to anyone though.... because I want to keep it all to myself. Yes, it was THAT AMAZING!!!

Robin and Sean are great guides and all around awesome guys to hang out with. It was like hunting with a bunch of your longtime friends.

Kaupo Ranch is an amazing property. The Ranch had views that will take your breath away. It was so inspiring to be stalking/spotting game in a place that had such amazing views. The mountains were fantastic, and then having the opportunity to hunt with the ocean in the background... it doesn't get much better. Kaupo Ranch also has an abundance of game animals to hunt. It never took very long before we saw some animals. On the second day, I must have saw 8 Trophy Axis bucks (30+ inches) and over 50 Axis does. I also saw lots of goats and some hogs. There was never a dull moment.

The meal that Brian cooked was another added bonus to the entire package. It was delicious!

Overall, this was one of the best hunting experiences I have ever had, and I am fully expecting to do this again sometime in the near future.

If anyone has any additional questions please feel free to send me a PM. I know that the winner of this hunt will have the trip of a lifetime like I did.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was one of the hunters that went on this hunt last year. I am having issues with recommending this to anyone though.... because I want to keep it all to myself. Yes, it was THAT AMAZING!!!

Robin and Sean are great guides and all around awesome guys to hang out with. It was like hunting with a bunch of your longtime friends.

Kaupo Ranch is an amazing property. The Ranch had views that will take your breath away. It was so inspiring to be stalking/spotting game in a place that had such amazing views. The mountains were fantastic, and then having the opportunity to hunt with the ocean in the background... it doesn't get much better. Kaupo Ranch also has an abundance of game animals to hunt. It never took very long before we saw some animals. On the second day, I must have saw 8 Trophy Axis bucks (30+ inches) and over 50 Axis does. I also saw lots of goats and some hogs. There was never a dull moment.

The meal that Brian cooked was another added bonus to the entire package. It was delicious!

Overall, this was one of the best hunting experiences I have ever had, and I am fully expecting to do this again sometime in the near future.

If anyone has any additional questions please feel free to send me a PM. I know that the winner of this hunt will have the trip of a lifetime like I did.
Thank you Jeremy. I enjoy doing this almost as much as you enjoyed your hunt. I get to meet great people. The money goes to a great cause and I get to watch a stalk and even learn from unbelievable hunters such as you and Keven. Oh and the dinner from one of the best chefs in the world is an added bonus.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
bump for an awesome opportunity. Put away your balcalva, wool layers, and insulated boots, and get ready for some fun in the sun. if you havent had the chance to spot n stalk free range hawaiian axis deer its an incredible experience, they are a beautiful and majestic creatures and the best part is they taste delicious! Throw in some huge trophy goats and tasty boar pork chops and this is a helluva hunt. maui isnt expensive as you think. instead of staying a a resort you can rent a house or condo through websites like vrbo.com or homeaway.com so you can cook your own meals instead of going out to eat every time and there can usually be found good deals on airfare in shoulder times like september and may (the start of the axis rut). check out beatofhawaii.com if youre considering, its a great resource for news of deals on airfare from across the country to hawaii. best part about it is we have the best weather on the planet so make it a family vacation. the wife and the kids will be happy while youre out hunting, as they hang out by the pool or on the beach. and then once youve got your trophys you can do the same! its a win win for everyone.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts