Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the rope mod on Hawk Helium climbing sticks? I need to replace the straps and might as well try something new to save some weight. Any tips, suggestions, photos? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had LW versa buttons and muddy safeline rope on mine

Thanks! Did the versa bolt fit in the hole for the strap mounting bracket or did you have to drill it out? And did you cut those sticks down?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
To be perfectly honest I bought them this way. But when I rope modded my old LW sticks I used the Muddy SafeLine so I knew it was a great snug fit with the Versa button before I got these. I would imagine it would be the same size, either 6mm or 1/4” bolt, something like that

·
Team BNN
1,404 Posts
Curtdawg the bolt fits with out drilling. I did have to screw it in with a Allen wrench. No drilling required though. Got my rope from buffalo peak in Jackson. Love the rope mod.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curtdawg the bolt fits with out drilling. I did have to screw it in with a Allen wrench. No drilling required though. Got my rope from buffalo peak in Jackson. Love the rope mod.

Thanks! I didn’t realize there was a local place to buy that kind of stuff. Do you recall what size rope you bought? Static or dynamic?

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,398 Posts

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,398 Posts
Looks great! What size rope is that?

It took a little checking. The utility rope is 5/16" or 8mm. I bought it off eBay in a 60' bundle. The rope length on the sticks is about 9'. Been using them for 3 years now and they're great!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm in the middle of modding my helium sticks. Using the old hole that was used for the straps as the new hole for the top tree bracket. Drilled 2 hole right in the middle of spacing above it. Also drilled a hole in the center, just above where the middle steps used to be for the new versa button location. Need to cut off the excess and they will be completed.

Wood Technology Cable Wood Wire

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in the middle of modding my helium sticks. Using the old hole that was used for the straps as the new hole for the top tree bracket. Drilled 2 hole right in the middle of spacing above it. Also drilled a hole in the center, just above where the middle steps used to be for the new versa button location. Need to cut off the excess and they will be completed.

View attachment 6535677 View attachment 6535679
So you’re shortening your sticks?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, for me the middle step if fairly short, but I'm not able to step from top to bottom. By shortening the sticks, I am saving weight. With the additional aiders on the bottom 2 sticks, I am able to get just as high

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, for me the middle step if fairly short, but I'm not able to step from top to bottom. By shortening the sticks, I am saving weight. With the additional aiders on the bottom 2 sticks, I am able to get just as high
What’s the new overall length of the stick?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The new Total length is 24" with the steps being 21" apart. If I moved the bottom tree backet above the bottom steps, I could shave another 1" off but I'm going to leave it for now. Uncut, with 3 steps, you have 27". With this mod, I'll have 21" with 2 steps . With 1.5 feet to make up, the aiders will double that at 18" apiece. I'm basically getting a lighter, higher setup by maximizing my step spacing

·
Registered
515 Posts
The new Total length is 24" with the steps being 21" apart. If I moved the bottom tree backet above the bottom steps, I could shave another 1" off but I'm going to leave it for now. Uncut, with 3 steps, you have 27". With this mod, I'll have 21" with 2 steps . With 1.5 feet to make up, the aiders will double that at 18" apiece. I'm basically getting a lighter, higher setup by maximizing my step spacing
Tagging this. How Muck weight did your stick come too now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll weigh all 3 tomorrow when I get them back together. I can throw in what each stick weighs as well....the ones with and without the aiders

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I did the Helium rope mod last year. I did have to clean the hole out with a bit to get the bolt in. I just did not want to risk stripping the bolt. I also tried the aider last year and did not like it. I had a hard time finding it on the way down. It also does not stick out from the tree so I was only getting the tips of my toes and it just did not feel safe. I like the rope mod but it is not faster or easier to use it only saves wait in my opinion. The hawk strapes are easy to use but the bracket and strap added weight so it was worth it for me because I opted for a bigger heavier stand, Advanced takedown.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts