Archery Talk Forum banner

HD Camcorder Suggestions

1021 18
Hey Guys,

Have to re-post this as it looks like my last one dissapeard.

I am looking to buy a new HD camcorder and wanting some suggestions on what to look for and which brands to maybe look at closer.

Want it to be small enough to be packable and durable. Film quality is the utmost importance. Dont want to spend over $800USD.

Any suggestions or comments? Someone said look at something with a 3CCD? Does it matter? What to look for?

Thanks!
Trev
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,458 Posts
I have seen a few 3CCD cameras in the price range actually....thats why I ask.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-hdc-sd9/4505-6500_7-32815189.html
The 3CCD should give you a better picture most of the time but that one said with the 3CCD it was inconsitent on picture quality. I don't know.

Not sure where or what you are going to be hunting. But it only has a 10X optical zoom. If filming at close distances that should be fine but you might want more if hunting more wide open areas.

Also decide what type of stoarage you want it to have, such as hard drive, mini DV, etc.

I heard good things about Sony so that is the brand I am going to be getting soon. But there are lots of good brands out there and everyone likes different things. So do lots of looking around for the right camera for you. Good luck.

· Registered
756 Posts
I would stay away from that model...the reviews aren't very good. If picture quality is the utmost importance you need to step up and enlarge your budget to fit a quality pro sumer camera, for $800 or less you will get marginal results from any consumer Hi def. camcorder.........Of course quality is a percieved notion and subjective term........home video quality or production quality? Alot of inexpensive HD consumer cams that will give you excellent home video quality, but not great production quality video. Give us an idea of what you are wanting to do with the footage for the best reccomendations.;)

Canon makes some good consumer HD cams, the HV20 and HV30 come to mind.

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canon are the main ones I've looked at actually, I just posted that up to show that I've seen some 3CCD cameras out there in the price range...

Footage will be used to make a hunting DVD for friends and family.....no production or anything.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Look around at and read reviews(remember though these are only personal opinions a lot of times and everyone is looking for something different) and info on as many cameras as you can. Don't rush into any decisions. Think ahead of time of some of what you desire in a camera, it will help to limit the choices.
I found "my camera" 3 times before I found my the one I really wanted and the one I am ordering.

Now if you think you might want to make a DVD for more than just family and freinds in the near future then you might consider waiting and investing a little more money and upgrading to a different camera. The whole process can be fun but it can also be a little of a headache. Good luck.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Based on your budget, the best bang for your buck is likely the Canon HV30. Shoots in HD, a bunch of manual control features, records to miniDV tapes, easy to run, the footage quality it amazing even on standard definition TV's. It runs a CMOS sensor rather than the 3CCD's, so it isn't going to do as well the first or last 10 minutes. Some claim that the colors won't be as rich either, that I can't say, I've never run the two side by side for a comparison. But the footage that can be obtained on these is awesome.

Here is a link to several clips that I have edited, all using the HV30.

http://www.vimeo.com/user792540/videos

Here is my HV30 set up with a remote hack that I did for better remote control from behind the camera.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Based on your budget, the best bang for your buck is likely the Canon HV30. Shoots in HD, a bunch of manual control features, records to miniDV tapes, easy to run, the footage quality it amazing even on standard definition TV's. It runs a CMOS sensor rather than the 3CCD's, so it isn't going to do as well the first or last 10 minutes. Some claim that the colors won't be as rich either, that I can't say, I've never run the two side by side for a comparison. But the footage that can be obtained on these is awesome.

Here is a link to several clips that I have edited, all using the HV30.

http://www.vimeo.com/user792540/videos

Here is my HV30 set up with a remote hack that I did for better remote control from behind the camera.

How much does one like that run? We are always looking for good cameras. That looks like a good setup.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
How much does one like that run? We are always looking for good cameras. That looks like a good setup.
Most REPUTABLE places right now are selling the HV30 for $600.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539289-REG/Canon_2680B001_VIXIA_HV30_HDV_High.html

The DM-50 microphone is $150
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...A002_DM_50_Directional_Stereo_Microphone.html

Hood, about $10.00 (if I recall right) on Ebay

Manfrotto 701rc2 with Monfrotto 190XDB legs is $207.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Bogen_Imaging__190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Hacked remote and materials Ebay/Radio Shack $15.00

So what you see in that photo about $980.00

I also have a Lone Wolf tree arm with third section added and I replaced the junk head with a 701rc2, total about $230.00

Then there is software to process the HD video and, in my case, computer upgrades. Combined, I probably had another $500 there.

Like anything else, you can spend the bare minimum or you can let it run you as far as your wallet will allow.

But at $600 the camera is a heck of a buy for A LOT of camera.:thumbs_up When I bought mine last May, I paid about $750 and that was a heck of a deal then.

I plan on adding a wide angle lens and an add on manual focus ring in the near future ... another $200 or so.

· Registered
173 Posts
DEC...I just bought a DM50 for my HV20. How much better is the audio with this shotgun mic?

Also, I am very interested in that remote setup? I have a wireless remote. What's the difference?

· Registered
2,265 Posts
10x better audio using the shotgun mic than the on board mic. No tinny sound.

That remote is simply the wireless remote that comes with the camera. I opened it up, snipped the LED out, and then took a mono headphone cord that you can buy at Radio Shack for about $4. I soldered one end in the LED's place, then soldered the LED on the other end. You simply have to watch the polarity. It has to match the original. Then using hot glue and heat shrink, I sealed it up. I made the mounting plate out of aluminum in my shop.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Why would you want to do this? I thought a wireless remote is a good thing.
Because it is a visual wireless remote. It won't work from behind the camera. So you need to get the LED out in front of the camera. This set up allows you less movement in zooming and recording. The less you touch the camera during filming, the better. It basically is a ******* answer to the lack of LanC controls on these cameras.

· Registered
173 Posts
Gotcha! Didn't think about the "visual" part of the remote. Can you make one for me for a fee? I think I would like to try this on my HV20.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
I would be a month or so before I could do it. I am heading out of town on business tomorrow for several weeks and then on a hunting trip. But if you are interested in waiting, I'm sure we can work something out. Shoot me a PM and let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.