Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you or anybody u know shot any deer in the head with the bow?pics. just wondering if it will actually penetrate the skull and kill it or if it would drop the deer on the spot.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Guy I know shot a doe that was walking away in the back of the head...dropped in its tracks and he was only shooting around 55 pounds. No pics though

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I would NEVER take a head shot on a deer no matter how big a deer it was. I have to much respect for them than to take such a poor shot choice

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,660 Posts
A buddy of mine shot a goat in the head. It was at a waterhole facing him. He aimed for a center chest lung shot and the critter decided at that moment to take a drink from the waterhole. The arrow was on the way and nothing he could do could stop it. It looked like a unicorn.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keep 'em coming!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I spined a deer and decided to finish him with a shot to the back of the head. Lets just say I will never do that again. Needed a 3rd arrow.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I had a small buck jerk his head up just as I shot. He was front on and had his head down to get an apple. I was aiming at the X the hair at the base of the neck made right at the shoulders. The arrow went in the left ear and exited just behind the right ear. Knocked him over backwards. I pulled the trigger on the release and was wondering why all I saw was white hair. It was his belly. Would I take a head shot intentionaly, NO.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Not a good idea. I saw deer walking with a arrow sticking out of the side of its head. I could still see half the broadhead and the deer keep trying to knock it out with its front leg. Wanted to put it out of its misery but could'nt get a shot.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
shot one on a spot and stalk in a field with my Mathews DXT in 2008. The closest I could get was 50 yards (which I was comfortable with) and when I let it fly, she jumped the string and I hit her behind the ear. She died before I walked up to her. I was using a standard 100 gr. slick trick which penetrated into the skull about 4 inches before the arrow snapped. Oh just to clarify.....I wasn't aiming for the head!

8,794 Posts
Had a doe jump the string...actually duck and turn...when I was shooting a fairly slow bow with heavy arrows. Dropped her dead in her tracks. Penetrated the back of the skull through the spinal cavity.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I also spined a doe and wanted to put her out of her misery/situation. The arrow with Slick Trick magnum had plenty of penetration, and she seemed to die immediately. I would not think of taking a first shot head shot at a healthy deer though.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
i have a friend we call LEFTY.his right arm is injured. he can barely draw the minimum weight while practicing.a deer comes in front of him and he seems to have no trouble. anyway his arrow is sloooow. aimed at a doe and she spun at the shot.got her right at the junction of spine and skull. instant death.his first deer with bow.

B

·
0 Posts
yes I shot a buck he was just laying 25 yards from my buddy with his head up for 30 min. and we were running out of light and my buddy shot it again and he had a deflection into the skull (No further tracking)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes I know two folks that have penetrated the skull. One was a ricochet off a branch into the head, the other was just a bad shot. The deer lifted his head on a quartering away attempt and it smacked him right behind the ear.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I know 2 people that have done it and dropped the deer on the spot, personally I wouldn't ever take it, had a friend do it with a muzzle loader at 10 yds once, not pretty.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anybody else? anybody have pictures?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've actually seen a picture of a doe from a trail cam contest with a crossbow bolt stuck through her head. Went from like her right eye brow through to the left side by her ear. She was walking around looking health eating corn at a feeder.... Couldn't believe she wasn't dead

1 - 20 of 278 Posts