Archery Talk Forum banner

Heading to Austin, College Station this Thursday

864 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Not Sure
I'm headed to the Austin City Limits Music Festival this weekend and will be in the area until next Tuesday. Are there any archery shops I can visit and/or shoots going on? Any AT peeps that want to meet up?

I'm tempted to bring my gear if there's a chance I can shoot.

Thanks!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Archery Shop in Austin, TX

Archery Country, is one of the best in town. They have a pretty good range, and there are regularly some recurve shooters in there. Always good people in there. The shop is located in North Austin off the access road to highway 183. From 183 north, take the Burnet Rd. exit, and go across the rail road tracks. Archery Country is on the right. I believe the address is 8910 Research Blvd. (Research Blvd is 18

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you Gig'em. I'll definately try to get there for a visit.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the food down there TexArc! Rudy's and Matt's El Rancho (galaxy's best fajitas?) are on my list as well as others. I will try to swing by Guerro's for some food. Any other favorites?

· Registered
956 Posts
I mentioned Guerro's cause it is in the South Congress district, has some venues there for live music. Excellent TexMex and Interior food and very popular.

If you have room and time for a drive, the OASIS has been rebuilt better than ever, some 50 decks on a hillside overlooking Lake Travis (the lake I live on). It's 30 minutes drive from 6th street, though. Best sunset in Texas, good margaritas and ok food. (esp. after 2 margaritas :D )

My favorite semi-formal TexMex is Abuelos'. Best greasy spoon is El Patio, on the drag at 30th street. I'd sooner eat there than anywhere else but it doesn't have much atmosphere.

Of course, wandering 6th street is similar to Bourbon St., but less chance of getting mugged or murdered. :) lots of live venues, bars, etc....

Unfortunately there are no outdoor ranges to speak of for FITA shooters in Austin.

· Registered
242 Posts
NotSure,

by Rudys did you perhaps mean Trudy's? Their migas are out of this world.

Also for breakfast, Magnolia Cafe is well worth a visit.

Hut's Hamburgers on 6th street, just east off Lamar has the best burgers I've tasted.

South of the river and off Lamar, Shady Grove has good food and a pleasant atmosphere as well.

If you like barbeque, and are willing to venture a small ways out of town, Salt Lick will serve the good stuff. Cash only.

"edit" Forgot Chango's. Burritos with a capital B.

I relocated from Austin in -99, so all this might be badly outdated. Hope you have a great weekend.

-bm.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NotSure,

by Rudys did you perhaps mean Trudy's? Their migas are out of this world.
No, I meant Rudy's but I'm all about trying new restaurants. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know which places I tried when I get back Wednesday (or while I'm out there).

· Registered
826 Posts
There is Sullivan's Outfitters in College Station and they have an indoor range and A&M has an archery room in their Rec Center, but I don't know what the rules or anything are for shooting there. There used to be a 3D club in the area, but I don't think it exists; however, there is one in Bryan.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Austin was sublime except for the horrible narrow roads, close concrete construction barriers and crazy drivers. Other than that the festival was amazing as expected.

The food was top rate. Matt's El Rancho's food was perfect. El Arroyo (my first time eating there this trip) was delicious. If I wasn't eating at a BBQ place I was devouring the best Tex-Mex.

I didn't go to ANy archery shops and maybe that was good as I spent a load of money at Frys!

I didn't spend much time at College Station and it was night (more BBQ at J Codys, very nice place)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.