Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do you guys shoot with headnets? I can hardly see through them..nevermind effectively enough to see my pin through a peep!

Any tips? Cutting any holes will just allow bugs in...heh

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Headnet

Face paint is the only way to go. I apply it after I'm in my tree with a little compact mirror. About the bugs, a little scent free bug spray.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Head net

I feel you pain brother...........I had to burn two holes in mine just to get the shoot..........This year let us try the damn face paint it was good enough for our red skin brothers it should be good enough for us........What do you think??.........lol...........WB..:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I been using the headnets from Spandoflage and love them. They're not real hot because of the many holes in the netting. You can cut whatever holes you want in them, and they won't unravel. BUT, I just now for the first time in my life went to a kisser button. It really helped my shooting and makes me feel comfortable about my anchor point. Now I'm afraid my kisser will get caught in one of the holes when I anchor, and disaster will strike. I may go to face paint or a 1/2 mask that I can pull down around my neck when it's time to shoot.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I use the head nets which is okay for viewing your sights. Find one that you can see out of or personallize it yourself.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use a head net and wear glasses to boot. I just cut out the face enough to have my glasses and mouth clear of the netting. I don't wear it all the time just put it on when a close encounter of the elk kind is eminate.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use a 1/2 face mask and havent had any trouble so far.But I to have added a kisser button too,so I havent had any in the field experience with it.I'll try it out before season and if it's a problem, I'll go back to face paint.Like the mask better though.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe...no no I don't mean facemasks or head covers...I mean HeadNETS! :)

i.e. the ones you use to keep insane bugs away...like when black bear hunting up in Canada.

They are very spacious, and you can't cut holes in them...otherwise the bugs get in.

Hehe...how do you hunt/shoot with THOSE? :) My buddy said he just lifts his when a bear comes in and deals with the flies.

Any better recommendations?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I generally go with spandoflage or some other clinging type of face cover. It keeps the black flies and gnats off, but the skeeters can still poke holes in you. The spandoflage and form-fitting stuff doesn't interfere with my shots at all.

As for the actual bug-mesh head nets - I've gotta agree, some of those are REALLY hard to see through, and I'm always a little nervous turning an arrow loose with all that loose material dangling around my head. Which is why I've sort of given up on those, and gone to the clingy material. I'd rather deal with a few skeeter bites than flub a shot and wound a deer because of the headnet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I bear hunt I use my head net with eye holes cut out (I wear glasses), but I also use bug spray. When I bait I leave a cloth with my sweat AND bug spray on it. The bears will get used to it. I will even spray some bug spray on the tree I will hunt out of.

but yes the full net without holes is tuff to see out of.

3 years ago I went to my bait opening day of bear hunting.
It was real hot and I carried in my daypack, bow, plastic bag with clean clothes (coated with baking soda) & a 5 gallon pail of meat to my bait (3/4 of a mile). I was sweating like a pig and the skeeters were BAD!!!
I dumped & covered the bait, then went to my tree and stripped down to my underware, took a towel coated with baking soda out of the bag and dried off and put on the clean clothes, and sprayed down with scent killer.
Climbed up the tree and reached in my pack for bug spray, NONE I forgot it at home!!!!! AND NO HEADNET!!!!!! AND NO GLOVES!!!!!!!
Luckily I only had to suffer with skeeters sucking me dry for 30 minutes before I shot a bear.

I now carry 2 headnets in my daypack.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i never used a head net or face paint in my life and been bowhunting for about 20 years now.i've taken four bucks in the 130inch range.and 2 in the 140's.head nets who needs them.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You obviously have never hunted bears in Canada! :)
I dare you to try without any protection from those flies! Take pics and let us know how you make out! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have been to Canada. Boy those flys and mosquitos are horrible. The net is about the only way to go when you have a density of flying creatures.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
no i never been to canada to hunt anything.but some day i'll get there and i will take your advise and wear a headnet.good luck to all this fall !!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have used Carb-o-mask for 2 years and love it. Goes on and off easily and I have had deer look right at me and keep walking
Try it I think you will really like it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts