Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most will be aware of the great bang for buck that you get with the Cartel Fantom. We have moved several through the store, and have seen great results with students.

Yesterday, one of our members had one snap in half, while at full draw. He had 38lbs on his limbs. Lancaster have been kind enough to replace it, as it was less than a year old. However, they did note that a forged aluminum riser is going to have a weak spot at the last place to cool down... at the shelf, where it snapped. They advised that the poundage was probably too high for that bow.

I actually did not know the archer had jumped that much in poundage. Usually, our students will have upgraded their riser by the time they're up there.

So, lesson learned. The archer is going to trade in and upgrade. He was not injured, but was a little a shaken. Poor kid!

·
Archery Coach
23,283 Posts
wow, I used to see that in cast risers back when the light arrows came out-sometimes there were air bubbles in the riser. WE have had a few Fantoms but all at lower weights

·
Registered
952 Posts
One of our club members had an SF cast riser. He went up to 34# limbs and found his shots were all going left. Careful observation by several coaches showed the riser was torquing to the left a full draw. He bought a different riser and problem solved.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yikes! Lots of guys buy cheap ILF risers like this and put 50# limbs on them for hunting.

If 38# is already too much, then the product description should definitely say so!

From Lancaster's site:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
• Affordable, high quality riser
• Sleek, modern design Ideal for beginner archers
• 6061 forged aluminum
• ILF adjustable limb pocket
• Synthetic wood grip
• Length: 25"
• Mass Weight: 2.6 lbs.

This riser likely had an unusual defect, otherwise there would be many more reports like this.

·
Registered
20,208 Posts
Guys -

Jim is correct. The problem was more common (but still rare) with cast risers, aluminum or magnesium.

Defects happens, but I wouldn't let one or two anomalies label all entry level risers as bad.

Biggest issue I've found with those risers is limited limb bolt adjustment.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am adding this pic, which shows the break more clearly. TomG took a look at it today and had a good explanation of what happened. He said he will post about it later.

20160805_131854.jpg

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Pls note that this riser is made by casted aluminium, not forged. One of the many similar existing in the market with different brands. This technology uses rather soft alluminium alloy, so these risers are suggested for low poundages / beginners use only. Averege reference is maximum 36# on the fingers, but better stay on safer side of it .

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's definitely good to know, Vittorio. The riser is described on LAS as being forged. My hubby just explained to me the difference between cast and forged. Looking at the break, and the graininess of the metal, he said it's definitely cast.

I'll be sure to advise LAS to change their description.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
Linda, Can you post a couple pics with the camera looking straight at the broken face? From what I can see so far, it appears the fracture originated near the clicker plate slot.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

I would if I hadn't already packed it up for return. Sorry. :/

You deduced exactly what TomG did. He said the right angle of the clicker plate cut out would have caused a weak spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I looked at the fracture surfaces. It is clear that the originating point is at the clicker recess. It is machined with a sharp corner.

I saw this exact same issue with some PSE Universal bows in the mid-late 90s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I do have to say that placing a sharp corner recess near a high stress area is risky. Doing this on a cast riser is even worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmmm, what about the cheaper forged risers? I have a WNS Forged Elite, I was presuming this would be fine up to 40lb or so?
I'd trust the Forged (and in general any forged or machined riser) at 40#. If it does break, it would most likely be due to a defect, which you cannot really predict regardless of the bow construction. For more anecdotal evidence, the only risers I have ever seen deform or break are either the wood risers on beginner bows, or cast aluminium risers.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,670 Posts
You all have your 20 posts so go buy something.

·
Detected rambling:
880 Posts
Hmmm, what about the cheaper forged risers? I have a WNS Forged Elite, I was presuming this would be fine up to 40lb or so?
I've shot the predecessor, the SF Forged+, with 42# OTF and carbon arrows no problem. Still using that riser today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts