Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt a couple of small wooded lots near my house which is in between neighborhoods and industrial parks. I see tons of deer. Most of the wooded blocks are 75 acres or less. I have been hunting them for about 7 years now. Never seen another hunter,only homeless people or your occasional 4×4 truck. The deer don't have the best genetics. I start putting corn and salt blocks out late summer. I tried a 20'×20' food plot 2 years ago and seed didn't take. Florida weather is so unpredictable that its either no rain or to much rain or pure heat wave.. Buck to doe ratio is 5 bucks to 1 doe. I have been shooting the bucks that don't have the better genes. I'm gonna post a couple pics of the bucks I have passed and have history with. I would like to help them grow.
I was curious what others have put out to help the deer grow healthier and bigger horns?
1512681120875.jpg 1512134283295.jpg 1514595231006.jpg

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Its tuff to play wid Genetics, i always use Mineral salt loose 50 lb bags n use an avg. of one every 90 days year around. I put out corn n plant sugar beets, purple top turnips, n several clovers

·
Disco89
981 Posts
In your situation you might be best to go with simplicity and a few strategically placed mineral spots (if legal). Calcium, phosphorus and protein would be the three minerals I'd be trying to supplement. Lowering the population by taking some doe (if legal) will allow more food for the bucks also.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
In your situation you might be best to go with simplicity and a few strategically placed mineral spots (if legal). Calcium, phosphorus and protein would be the three minerals I'd be trying to supplement. Lowering the population by taking some doe (if legal) will allow more food for the bucks also.
5:1 bucks to doe ratio.. I think he needs to take out more bucks and dont touch a doe for a few yrs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Provide some sheep mineral beginning in late February thru August. Place the licks near a water source, should not be a problem in Florida. Monitor the uptake and keep the holes well stocked.

Protein supplements help if/when agriculture crops are unavailable.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
our sand in florida is so porous that for me only salt blocks work....'
I put corn out but I think when I get lucky with something like cow peas in the spring it does well for them.
but bully is correct...easy to lose all your seed because too much or too little rain and the dry heat spells are so unforgiving.
norm

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
How many Pope and Young deer from Florida? Not much you can do Bud.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
IMO age is your best hope. Those Bucks look young to me. Its common where i hunt to kill a 100" 3.5 year old. I made up my mind i wasnt going to shoot nothing that wasnt 130ish + last year. And while i could have killed several bucks in the 115" to 120". I held off we will see if it pays off next year. My hope is once they reach 4.5 and up they become harder to kill. The guys killing the 100" buck will keep killing them no doubt. But i hope enough slip threw. That i have nicer bucks to hunt.

Thats my approach. Best thing you can feed them is Birthday cake :).

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
IMO age is your best hope. Those Bucks look young to me. Its common where i hunt to kill a 100" 3.5 year old. I made up my mind i wasnt going to shoot nothing that wasnt 130ish + last year. And while i could have killed several bucks in the 115" to 120". I held off we will see if it pays off next year. My hope is once they reach 4.5 and up they become harder to kill. The guys killing the 100" buck will keep killing them no doubt. But i hope enough slip threw. That i have nicer bucks to hunt.

Thats my approach. Best thing you can feed them is Birthday cake :).
Well said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with age. I lived in Florida for 7 years after growing up in the midwest...all i heard in Florida was poor soils, etc and no.chance for good bucks. Then i saw deer killed in area where hunting is only allowed to a few people for a few days a year. They had very nice antlers, and it opened my eyes. They were in big woods with no minerals, feed etc, and were only separated from often hunted "poor" hunting areas by invisible lines on a map. Florida isn't the midwest by any means, but its' biggest issue is being allowed 2 bucks a day for months on end in my opinion.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts